Decal question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meteor Mike

Reaction score
I'm building my first Der Red Max and I was wondering about the decals. After googling pictures of other DRMs I noticed on a couple that the white parts of the decals (skull, etc) look kind of reddish, like the white isn't very opaque and the read underneath shows through. Am I correct in assuming you have to paint white all the areas where the white decals will be so it turns out a bright, clean white?

Also, my decals don't have the X882 for the nosecone that I've seen on others. Have the decals changed?

On mine, the white seemed to be reasonably opaque. I have seen some decals on some Estes kits (not necessarily DRM) that had opacity issues, but I don't think I've seen that with white. My DRM, and my DRM/Mean Machine bash:
WP_002605.jpg IMG_2660.jpg
Mine did not come with the nose cone decal either, I think that has been left off of the current iteration of the kit. I've built a total of three of them in the last 6 months, none came with the decal. The Mega Red Max still has it, but the standard size does not. Another option is to use the decals from StickerShock23, which are vinyl and thus truly opaque (and include the nose cone decal). Mine is the green version:
WP_002766.jpg

Last edited:
I have built a bunch of DRMs in all different colors. I have never had to paint anything other than the base color. The white in the decals has always come out sharp. As for the nose decal it should have been included. I have two kits I just received last week. I will check to make sure the nose decal is included.

Thanks for the info, that helps.

The vinyl decals look good, but I think that's a bit much to spend for this project. Although I do like the pirate-themed one and the rebel-themed one. I might invest in one of those for a future build.

Yes, the white nose cone decals should be included but they are not.

This was an Estes decision to not include those decals.

If you really want them, they are available here,

https://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/product.php?id_product=796

That set is for the MDRM... I think the OP is referring to the DRM. I just checked my DRM kit's decals, and they too are missing the nosecone decal as well as the white MITT GRABBEN/NICHT STOMPIN decals too (thought I don't know if the GRABBEN/STOMPIN) are canon or not).

Mine had the hand hold/no step decals - you can see the one in the mid section of the model in the above photo. As far as I could tell, the only decal I didn't have was the cone decal. However, I didn't make use of the "kill" decals on that model, but rather put a double set on the Der Mean Max there, which has no lack of space for that sort of thing. I still have one more DRM in the package, slated to use a Der Dark Max decal set that I purchased when I bought the Green decals. I'm not sure when I'll get to that...

That set is for the MDRM... I think the OP is referring to the DRM. I just checked my DRM kit's decals, and they too are missing the nosecone decal as well as the white MITT GRABBEN/NICHT STOMPIN decals too (thought I don't know if the GRABBEN/STOMPIN) are canon or not).

My mistake.

I have all of them.

The Mega Red Max
Classic Red Max
And Mini

Just go to my web site and type "red Max" in search.

Mine had the hand hold/no step decals - you can see the one in the mid section of the model in the above photo. As far as I could tell, the only decal I didn't have was the cone decal. However, I didn't make use of the "kill" decals on that model, but rather put a double set on the Der Mean Max there, which has no lack of space for that sort of thing. I still have one more DRM in the package, slated to use a Der Dark Max decal set that I purchased when I bought the Green decals. I'm not sure when I'll get to that...

The MIT GRABBEN and NICHT STOMPIN decals in question are white and not black.

My bad, I didn't realize that there were white ones as well. Did they change the color of them, or did they delete additional ones?

Back