Lockheed TR-1A (U2) 144th (Dragon#4640) Micro PMC.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Continuing to work through the backlog of previously purchased 144th Scale Plastic models to be converted for flight.
A fairly new Dragon release #4640 seemed it would be an easy single MMX motor conversion.

The U2 is a pretty big Plane in real life so I didn't give it another thought when placeing the order for this kit. Upon reciept opening the box I was a bit taken back as there will be a good bit of filing and aft end alteration needed to get a minimum diameter T2+ (.281" OD) to pass thru our TR-1A Fuselage. checking with calipers I decided to cut-off the tail section aft end at the second body seam. At this seam I should have just enough styrene left after filing out the walls to pass our Bodytube/motor mount.
I have to say I am impressed with the last 3 or 4 DRAGON model Kits I've purchased. Each has been exquisitely detailed with recessed panel lines and most other tiny surface detail rendered very accurately. Our TR-1A (U2) is no exception.

Actually the main body is broken into 4 tubular sections rather then the usually plastic kit Half Side sections. These pieces mate up very well. In fact since this will have to be another wheels Up flight configuration model we well use the main body wheel cover as our notched seperation just behind the intake ducts, cockpit and Nose section. Leaving the wing, mid-body and Tail to house the shock-line & 1/2" x 10" Yellow PTFE (Teflon) tape Wadding/Streamer.

Hardest and longest procedure with this model was hand filing out the shortened Tail section with 1/4" round Bastard and 1/4" Round Diamond Files. Had to be done by hand as even using my new Micro Dremels with 1/8" mill-end might of chewed through the wall to quickly or melted an unwanted hole where the wall is Super thin to pass the T2+ body tube.

After blue taping all the major pieces together I traced the outline on the cardboard pad back cutting it out to serve as our Cardboard Cut-out. Located the LCP and added 1caliber forward for the CG. After getting the main body tube and internal parts in the taped up model the CG was located. a balance string added and Nose weight clay added to the Nose until we had a level suspension. Clay added 5.6g which was then converted to #9 lead shot mixed with CA added to the interior extended nose under the false bottom cockpit. Since I can't use the Cockpit tub I frosted the clear plastic canopy and will mask before the over-all model is painted Gloss black. Once the decals are applied the entire bird will get a single light coat of Krylon UV resistant Matte clear.

This build also went pretty quickly but I did get a few photos of the tube fitting process. The model is currently downstairs drying after a single Primer coat and one coat of Gloss Black. Hope to get to some decaling next week.

MM 411uc01_Lockheed TR-1A(U2) 144th PMC Box Art(Dragon#4640)_03-18-15.JPG

MM 411uc02_144th TR-1A (U2)_Taped Major Parts_03-18-15.JPG

MM 411uc03_144th TR-1A (U2)_FS Cardboard Cut-Out_03-18-15.jpg

MM 411uc04a_144th TR-1A_Fuselage Mod for T2+_03-18-15.jpg

MM 411uc04b_144th TR-1A_Tail Fuselage cutoff_03-18-15.jpg

MM 411uc04c_144th TR-1A_Amount to be Filed out_03-19-15.JPG

MM 411uc04d_144th TR-1A_Tail Section after Filing_03-19-15.jpg

Moving on:
I solvent weld with MC (Methylene Chloride) all Styrene plastic parts. This is one of the strongest solvent welding agents so some care must be taken by using fine Red Sable hair brush applicators. Once these welds cure the parts are permanently fused into a single styrene piece. After sanding with 320grit sandpaper all rements of the joining lines disappear. Some of these lines are then re-scribed if at a panel seam joint.

Launch lugs for this one are Fliskit Micro split .010" x 1/4" tube CA & epoxy mounted.

Hope to get a pic or two of the painted model tomorrow.

MM 411uc05_144th TR-1A (U2)_Major Parts MC joined_03-19-15.jpg

MM 411uc06_144th TR-1A(U2)_Sep & Shock-line Streamer_03-19-15.jpg

MM 411uc07a_144th TR-1A (U2)_Top View Parts joined_03-19-15.jpg

MM 411uc07b_144th TR-1A (U2)_BottomView LL's on_03-19-15.jpg

Here are the final couple photos of the TR-1A U2.
Lightly Primed, Painted Gloss Black before applying the very limited decals. Let it sit overnight before applying a wet coat of Krylon UV Matte Clear.
Still have to tie the shockcord to the forward section but should be ready to Launch long before I'm ready to get out on the field.
Micro PMC #411 is .375" diameter, OA Length: 5.4063", Wing Span: 8.75". Finished 03-27-15

MM 411uc08_144th TR-1A (U2)_After Blk Paint & Decals_03-26-15.jpg

MM 411uc09_144th TR-1A (U2)_Matte Cl. Coated & Complete_03-28-15.jpg

Got around to taking the Static model photos with all the stats.
I'm almost certain this model will not clear the launch rod on a single MMX-II.
In the near future I'll add a micro clustered booster stage that should allow this model to fly safely and give the model a great kick in the pants to get off the pad. It will more then likely be an in-line 3 motor MMX-II-NE with clear lexan fins so as not to break up the model lines too much. Those super LONG wings sure made it hard to get the model balanced to fly:)

MM 411a_TR-1A (U2) 144th PMC(Dragon4640-19.99)_03-28-15.JPG

Back