motor starter straw question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
curious, is there a particular reason we tape the straw to the side of the rocket before taking the rocket to the rso? is it, to provide an easy way for the RSO/LCO to see that we haven't installed the starter yet, or something else?
you see when I went to retrieve my phoenix, I took a look at it and thought 'whats wrong with this picture...I must have had a 'senor moment' for what did I see but the straw still taped to the side of the rocket(one piece of blue tape about 2 - 3" long).
Rex

So we don't leave it at our car and have to take the walk of shame back for the igniter.

We can't install them, so that keeps it with the rocket.

good enough reason(practical) for doing it. okay, thanks
Rex

I tape it to the electronics bay as a reminder to arm the electronics. Sometimes I only tape the ignitor and not the straw too. However, it is always taped to the electronics bay.

Last edited:
I use it to protect the igniter and then use the tape to hold it in place. On smaller rockets I use the tube as a standoff.

I tape it to the electronics bay as a reminder to arm the electronics. Sometimes I only tape the ignitor and not the straw too. However, it is always taped to the electronics bay.

All the way to the pads from the RSO's desk
I'm repeating to myself----

Don't forget to arm the altimeter---

Everyone hears what I'm mumbling to myself,,,
It's gotten to the point when I get back
and walk past the LCO's table EVERYBODY says laughing---
Did you arm the altimeter ???

Teddy

I like to tape the igniter between the rail buttons: that way I can't put it on the rail without removing/forgetting it, plus I then have a piece of tape at the pads to hold it in. Looking around for a usable piece of used tape at the pads because I was too stoopid to remember to bring a roll got old....

I went to taping the starter after I dropped one better inspection and the pad and had to look around for it.

I like to tape the igniter between the rail buttons: that way I can't put it on the rail without removing/forgetting it, plus I then have a piece of tape at the pads to hold it in. Looking around for a usable piece of used tape at the pads because I was too stoopid to remember to bring a roll got old....
This!

And I take a second starter with me to the pad. That way if the first one burns but doesn't start the motor, I don't have to walk all the way back to my pit area to retrieve another.

It's good practice to arm your electronics before inserting the igniter.
I'd rather have it sit on the pad than, having to find it with a shovel.

JD

I was at a launch recently when the LCO asked over the PA if anyone had one of the "straws" for an Aerotech HPR igniter. Someone needed a 1/4" launch lug that they were going to tape to their rocket.

Teddy

And did you????

Honestly, I do it so that A) I don't lose the igniter, B) I don't forget to take an igniter with me, C) so that I have a piece of tape with me if I need it at the pad, and D) because it just made sense to me to do it this way and now I have a habit of doing thus. And yes, I have flown the igniter tube at least once...

Ya know,,,
I never have forgotten to arm an altimeter...
I saw someone forget to arm one at our field in Great Meadows NJ and I never forgot it...
I felt so bad for the guy...
I don't remember who it was,,
but it cost him the rocket.....

Teddy

Ya know,,,
I never have forgotten to arm an altimeter...
I saw someone forget to arm one at our field in Great Meadows NJ and I never forgot it...
I felt so bad for the guy...
I don't remember who it was,,
but it cost him the rocket.....

Teddy

Teddy, I am terrified that I will forget to arm the altimeter one of these times. Aside from a motor blowing up, that's about the worst thing I could think of happening. Both because of the loss of the rocket, the work in it, and the money in it, etc. but also just because it's so avoidable, and because it's so dangerous. A 5, 10, 20 lb. fiberglass and aluminum rocket coming in ballistic from 5k is just plain bad for everyone. I like your "arm the altimeter, arm the altimeter, arm the altimeter" idea. I'm gonna remember that.

Nate

Teddy, I am terrified that I will forget to arm the altimeter one of these times. Aside from a motor blowing up, that's about the worst thing I could think of happening. Both because of the loss of the rocket, the work in it, and the money in it, etc. but also just because it's so avoidable, and because it's so dangerous. A 5, 10, 20 lb. fiberglass and aluminum rocket coming in ballistic from 5k is just plain bad for everyone. I like your "arm the altimeter, arm the altimeter, arm the altimeter" idea. I'm gonna remember that.

Nate

I'm with ya on that one for sure Nate...
It's such an easy thing to do...
And the rocket's gone,,, for nothin...

Who was that Nate ??
It was either last year or the year before,,
he was pretty pissed,, I felt for him...

I really like that everyone makes a joke of it when you come back from the pads,,,,
"Hey-- did ya arm the altimeter ????
Everyone does it as a joke but it's really a good reminder...

Teddy

I'm with ya on that one for sure Nate...
It's such an easy thing to do...
And the rocket's gone,,, for nothin...

Who was that Nate ??
It was either last year or the year before,,
he was pretty pissed,, I felt for him...

I really like that everyone makes a joke of it when you come back from the pads,,,,
"Hey-- did ya arm the altimeter ????
Everyone does it as a joke but it's really a good reminder...

Teddy

I can think of two times- I think they were both 2 years ago. One was a big (7.5" maybe?) rocket, I think he called it a "Mega Magg?" flying on an I sparky motor. I found some info on it. I'd post a link, but I don't know if the guy is on here, I'll let him make the call as to if he wants to share it. I remember walking back from recovering a rocket, and exchanging some brief conversation with him as he was setting up. It was a big rocket. I remember it came down in one of the northern fields, back behind the flight line. Hard. The other one was someone's purple Warlock. That came in right next to the flight line- just about took out a pickup if I remember correctly. That one was scary. I was under your tent, and heard yelling. I think it hit maybe 20 ft. from where I was. Yeah, arming altimeters- important stuff right there.

Nate

When it's hot, I hate having things in my pockets. I like to tape my starter to the fin so I can get to it at the last moment after the rocket is on the rail. Plus as a Loki flier, I have a handy piece of tape to hold the igni…err starter to the side of the motor.

Teddy

If this was FaceBook I would click the like button on this one. lol

Write "Arm the Altimeter" on the masking tape you use to attach the igniter tube to the rocket.

This is my one decoration and it resides between the two switch holes.

images (7).jpg

I've gone back to using the small switches with a pin like those described in the Perfectflite altimeter manuals and I used here. I like having the pin with the "Remove Before Flight" ribbons on them. It makes it almost impossible to forget to arm the altimeter and if you do forget and walk back, everyone will know it and the LCO won't launch until you do the walk of shame and go out and remove the pin.

Back