AT L1000W SU Problems--read this before flying it

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know how you feel, mine blew just about the same place at Airfest Aug 30th. They decided not to replace mine. The L1000 was in a DX3-XL. It did survive with minor damage, not sure why. Bottom half came down from about 4000 ft. no chute. Won't buy another L1000.....

I know how you feel, mine blew just about the same place at Airfest Aug 30th. They decided not to replace mine. The L1000 was in a DX3-XL. It did survive with minor damage, not sure why. Bottom half came down from about 4000 ft. no chute. Won't buy another L1000.....

Who exactly denied the claim? Who did you talk to about this? I ask as I have been in contact via email with Gary Rosenfield about this thread, and the issue it represents. He said he has never heard your name before.

I reiterate- I am not an AT representative- just a fellow flyer trying to assist.

I contacted AT's warranty dept about my L1000 and another issue and they've been 100% helpful. I'm a CTI reload fan, but I'm also an AT single use fan. My experience so far has only strengthened my desire to use AT single use.

All, my main purpose with this was to put out awareness of a potentially bad motor before anyone else experienced what I did. Motor of all types/brands have CATOs, so this is NOT a particular motor maker bash session. Probably one reason Aerotech and other OEMs don't participate much on TRF is because of the Internet bashing that likely would not happen in person--we've all seen it here. My hope is that this thread stays far, far away from that. For the most part, that's been true, so thank you.

Karl wrote me back and will warranty the L1000W that CATO'd. Apparently I got very unlucky with the motor I received--he reiterated the same testing and history indicating a reliable motor past. I've met Karl a couple times and admire his motor knowledge & candor. He's always been willing to communicate and has fulfilled past warranty issues without any trouble at all. He's a real rocket guy, and after all, I cert'd L3 this weekend on a motor Karl designed (M1780NT).

That said, once bitten twice shy with this motor--not 100% sure what I am going to do with the replacement yet. While the motor cost me $127, the rocket and everything else is easily three times that. My garage is getting filled out with CATO'd rockets, a few of which are not repairable. That's not fun, and five in a year is a lot of not fun attempts.

Then again, this IS rocketry, not goofy golf. And, trying to be as fair as I can, it was a relatively new motor--many new ones have teething problems when new. I tend to fly a fair amount and mostly buy motors at the edge of a particular size's capabilities, such as this 54mm L. I am meticulous with building motors--always by the instructions, never any leftover parts and usually at home without distraction, wind or problems. Of course, none of that matters with a CTI or AT DMS (SU) motor--a CATO is just plain a bad motor.

So, because it is rocketry, I'll drown my sorrows in building something else, something better, something even cooler than the one it is replacing. I'll wait and see how future L1000W launches go (please report them, good or bad) and maybe give it another go down the road. I've got a Wildman 3" rocket sitting in the garage just waiting to be built, and I just pulled it out and washed all of the parts. Build thread?

Last edited:
Owner of Science and Education Cener contacted. Sent them motor,pictures,data collected from Stratalogger and altimeter 2 along with movie wife took.

Mark and I have talked about that, I have migrated to a 2560 case and a K700 reload for Airfest 21. Don't think I would trust another L1000. Thinking about Loki Research for the bigger motors. Have talked to Scott a little bit about it.

Gary Pletzer, aka Crossfire, sent me a message about this issue and his interaction with Aerotech:

"]Hi Mark
I just got off the phone with Carl at Aerotech. They are going to replace both my motors. He said its a problem with the fiberglass case. Replacements will be mailed to flyers or sent to a dealer for one to pick up. I said they could send both of mine to Wildman. Carl was a very nice guy to talk with and was very helpful. I didn't even think to ask how long it may take for motors to be replaced. Carl said they have a new reload for the 54/2800 case. Its very close to the L-1000 motor. If you want to post any of this on TRF go ahead.

See Ya
Gary
TFRLLC"

As a long-term follow-up, Aerotech took care of my warranty request with great customer support by Karl. I opted for the L1090W RMS reload instead of another L1000W DMS, but that was a personal preference now that a 54mm L reload is available. I'd rather build my own motor, but that's just me. I'll fly that L1090W at Tripoli Vegas' Oktoberfest soon, probably in a to-be-built Wildman 3" rocket--should be a neck snapper.

Kudos and thank you to Aerotech!

Thanks for the update Mark, it is appreciated. I'll see you at Oktoberfest!

As a long-term follow-up, Aerotech took care of my warranty request with great customer support by Karl. I opted for the L1090W RMS reload instead of another L1000W DMS, but that was a personal preference now that a 54mm L reload is available. I'd rather build my own motor, but that's just me. I'll fly that L1090W at Tripoli Vegas' Oktoberfest soon, probably in a to-be-built Wildman 3" rocket--should be a neck snapper.

Kudos and thank you to Aerotech!

Back