This makes me a little nervous...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three notes-
1- Did he take a selfie at 1:30? haha
2- That looks like a BASE jumper's dream.
3- To answer your question, yes I would! Heights never really bothered me, so that looks like fun.

I met someone that use to do this kind of stuff... He told me that is a young man's job. It really tears your knees and the rest of your body up bad, but great money.

I know I could NEVER do this. If i am more than 10 feet off the ground I freak out a bit.

The Music in the backround sounds like it came from the Sega Genesis game called Strider.

There are two guyed towers like this within a 30 mile radius of my house, one at Ethel (Collinsville), Texas and one near Lake Kiowa. The Ethel tower is 1,999 feet above ground level according to a maintenance man I spoke with. As you approach it by car the guy wires look like strings but as you get within a half mile or so you can see that they are massive wire cables, thick as a man's leg. I always wanted to go fly one of my G-something birds along side of it as an altitude gauge. Then 9-11 happened and I dropped that idea in a hurry!

I used to know a guy in our church that, when he was a younger man, made a living painting those things. He said, you climbed the tower, painted until the bucket was empty, came down for lunch, and then went back up.

Somebody has to do it, I guess.

Screaming Willies. Heebie-geebies. Puckered.
I used to paraglide so I have had that view a lot. For some reason, being suspended from strings thousands of feet in the air doesn't bother me, but I don't like heights. Fear isn't logical.

Not just NO, but $@&& NO!, you know that tower probably sways a good bit in even the slightest wind.

Yep, I'd do it. And that view, so totally worth it. Just don't drop your tools, that would suck. And I would so take a selfie too.

I would do it if I was given permission, and had the proper training and safety equipment.
I would take a "Selfie" too, which is another thing I don't do in real life.
When I reached apogee, I would take out one of those styrofoam 4 piece Gliders that you used to be able to find just about anywhere. It would have a couple of 808 Cameras on it, and I would activate the cameras and launch it off into the distance with someone on the ground tracking visually.

When I was younger, yes. Grew-up climbing large grain silos. Had a job installing and repairing TV antennas as a teen. Climbed a few 50–60' antenna towers—nothing like the video. No safety gear. Didn't know any better. Also used to get hoisted to the masthead when something went wrong up there during a race (talk about getting bruised-up). Now, the young'uns do it. These days, I don't particularly like going up when the boat is docked. I will if there is no one lighter than me—but I'm not keen on it like I used to be.

I've found that the older I get, the less I like heights. I wouldn't climb one of those big towers. Every time I see one, the thought goes through my mind and the answer is always, definitively, no.

The view is certainly spectacular.

Last edited:
Back