Red Glare XVII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to do a maiden on a smoky motor. Makes it easy to see instability, wiggling, spirals, etc.

And it looks cool. :cool:

Ted, how many times did you fly your steampunk, and what was your highest altitude?

Ted, how many times did you fly your steampunk, and what was your highest altitude?

"SteamPunk" went up for 3 flights at Red Glare John....
There has been an intermittent problem with one of the altimeters and I think it is now resolved...
It was the switch that runs that altimeter..
It was browning out on launch----- sometimes......

The first flight was the rockets 5th flight...
The rocket was 29 lbs on the pad and did 4200 ft on a 75 / 2560 K 1000 T.....
The altimeter browned out for the 3rd time ...
There was nowhere else to point a finger,, everything in the av bay is solid as a rock..... I changed the switch...........
The 2nd flight was on a 75 / 3840 L 1150 R to about 6200 ft....... all worked perfectly....
The 3rd flight was on a 75 / 3840 L 1390 G to about 8200 ft....... all worked perfectly......
This load was chosen for a reason........
The L 1390 G is 1400 newtons a quarter of a second after ignition...
I wanted to see that there was no brown out again,,,, or any other anomaly for that matter........
The 8th flight will be in Great Meadows New Jersey tomorrow on a 54 / 2560 K 700 W to about 4200 ft...
I fully,, and with reason expect all to go perfectly with that flight...........
The 9th flight is set to be an extremely photogenic flight at LDRS in Potter New York........
I've had this load planning for this flight for a very long time.....
I enjoy getting some really cool stills of a lift off ( and also of a deployment sequence ) ........
This flight will be on a 75 / 5120 L 1365 Metal Storm to about 10 or 10.5 K ft..... I can't wait to see if I can grab that lift off in pic's.......
Dave the shutterbug will be there as well,, so maybe he'll get some cool shots too.............
The 10th flight is set to be the next day on a 75 / 5120 M 1297 W to about 13000 ft...........

How that for a flight report / plan / flight schedule.................

Teddy

I'm sorry John,,,
I don't know why but I can't upload a pic ?????????????
I've tried many times..........
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.........

Teddy

So, going for that L3 Teddy?? Show off! lol

hahahahahahah

Davie,,,, jealousy is an ugly emotion......hahahahahahahahahah

You know how I like to do things slowly,, in a methodical order...

Well,,, dis is it.........lol...

Teddy

Hey guy's you are not going to believe the video Coleman ( RocketHunter ) just finished...
This young man is just unbelievable...
I just told him he should change his major in school to video editing...

Check this---------------

https://onebadhawk.com/red-glare-4112015--rad-rocks-launch-of-4182015.html

And tell Coleman what you think of his video editing skills..............

Teddy

One rocket in the video linked in the previous poste (the pink panther) has fly-away rail guides. Does anyone have more info on how to make these? I think this idea would also work for rods.

Last edited:
hahahahahahah

Davie,,,, jealousy is an ugly emotion......hahahahahahahahahah

You know how I like to do things slowly,, in a methodical order...

Well,,, dis is it.........lol...

Teddy

Hey, put the M1297W in the 75mm AT 5120 case and fly that in steampunk at LDRS :bangbang:.
I got the case but it belongs to Dan and you would have to ask him if you can borrow it.:grin:

John

I didn't know you were at Red Glare....
I'd have found you to shake your hand for sure.........lol...

Teddy

Sorry, Teddy --I didn't get to visit as much as usual, as Nikki stayed home this time to complete a major school project, and I had all three kids. But the harnesses you made for me were used in Mondo Kraken, and worked GREAT!

Later!

--Coop

One rocket in the video linked in the previous poste (the pink panther) has fly-away rail guides. Does anyone have more info on how to make these? I think this idea would also work for rods.

Someone on the forum was making them.... it may have been landru

Later!

--Coop

Hey, put the M1297W in the 75mm AT 5120 case and fly that in steampunk at LDRS :bangbang:.
I got the case but it belongs to Dan and you would have to ask him if you can borrow it.:grin:

John

Hey,,
Thank you so much John,,
No kidding,, that's really nice of you....
I have a 75 / 5120 case...
I'm good..
But thank you very much anyway...

Teddy

Sorry, Teddy --I didn't get to visit as much as usual, as Nikki stayed home this time to complete a major school project, and I had all three kids. But the harnesses you made for me were used in Mondo Kraken, and worked GREAT!

Later!

--Coop

Very cool Coop,,,
( get it,,, cool coop,, awwww ferget it....lol.. )
I'm just glad they worked well and the flight went great...
We'll meet again for sure,, at the next launch....lol...

Teddy

I make them and sell them through https://AMWPROX.com. I have given some consideration to making them for rods...what size do you need them in?

There's a good article on the subject in a recent issue of Apogee's Peak Of Flight newsletter.

I make them and sell them through https://AMWPROX.com. I have given some consideration to making them for rods...what size do you need them in?

There's a good article on the subject in a recent issue of Apogee's Peak Of Flight newsletter.

I didn't know you were selling them at the time of posting and was thinking of implementing them myself. I use 1/8 and 1/4 in. rod and BT-60 and BT-80 tubes. I guess the situation quickly devolves for you from a production point of view if you have to satisfy different tube and rod dimensions.

Would you happen to know which Apogee newsletter has the article?

I didn't know you were selling them at the time of posting and was thinking of implementing them myself. I use 1/8 and 1/4 in. rod and BT-60 and BT-80 tubes. I guess the situation quickly devolves for you from a production point of view if you have to satisfy different tube and rod dimensions.

Would you happen to know which Apogee newsletter has the article?

Peak of Flight #387 has the article, written by Tim Van Milligan, and it is a very good discussion of the subject: https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter387.pdf

I hope to expand into those sizes, but I've mainly been focusing on high- and mid-power stuff, and I am focusing on 54mm development at the moment (38 and 29 are pretty much done).

Back