Red Glare XVII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
Red Glare XVII is 22 days away! Who coming and what are you flying?

My big flights:

Second flight of my 5" Black Brant VI (lost my 4" at URRF last year) on a full L
Black Brant VI Red Glare.jpg

Another Best altitude attempt with Bellatrix, my 6" Intimidator on a N3500 (11000Ns) research motor
Bellatrix 98-11000 RNR.jpg

Current best is 11,600'

Oh man,,
I can't wait,,
I'm psyched..
This was definitely a longer no fly winter then last years winter..

I'm going to fly my 4" glass scratch "SteamPunk" ...

SteamPunk K 960 W.jpg

Should be going to 6K on an "L",,
Then maybe higher on a heavier "L"...

Teddy

IMG_1309.jpg
This guy on either the L730 Classic or the L1030 Red Lightning, they both sim within a few feet of each other to join the mile high club

Firenzy.JPG
Frenzy on a K635 Red Lightning to right around 6200ft

DSC_0620.jpg
Marvin Magg on probably the I223 Skidmark 3rd flight using the Cable Cutter Dual Deploy

then whatever I have time to throw on a pad, possibly my 38mm Mega Der Raven Max on something stupid!!

I spent the day helping with setup for Red Glare, and the field is in much better shape than I expected. Despite the rain, it has drained very well. There is also a nice bit of green grass covering the launch area, so we shouldn't have problems with sparky motors like we did last year. Saturday and Sunday should be pretty spectacular.

Oh man is that wonderful news...
Thanks Bill,,,
I sure am glad to hear that...

Teddy

I spent the day helping with setup for Red Glare, and the field is in much better shape than I expected. Despite the rain, it has drained very well. There is also a nice bit of green grass covering the launch area, so we shouldn't have problems with sparky motors like we did last year. Saturday and Sunday should be pretty spectacular.

What field did you setup at ?

Comfort Inn
8523 Ocean Gateway
Easton, MD, US, 21601
(410) 820-8333

And the farm is at 250 Ell Downes Rd, Centreville.

Kids and I had a FANTASTIC time! Wish we could have come all 3 days, but today was all schedules permitted. Hope to fly with MDRA again soon! I WILL get that Hornet up next time!

Later!

--Coop.

MDRA would like to thank all the fliers and spectators that made Red Glare XVII an overwhelming success. With over 500 flights ranging from ¼ A to an O-4000 there was something for everyone. Money was raised for Operation Second Chance, Vern Knowles entertained us with his talking GPS KATE and Tommy fed us his world famous chicken.

Thanks to all the Supporters and Vendors at the Event, in no particular order…DEWALT, Animal Motor Works, Wildman, Performance Hobbies, Python, One Bad Hawk, Dan Michaels / Aerotech and a special thanks to Dr. Zooch for running the MDRA Bucket of Rockets and getting some new rocketeers hooked on the hobby.

A very, very special thanks goes out to Tommy and Eugene Higgs who all allow us the FREEDOM TO FLY.

MDRA will be moving to the Central Sod Farm for our Spring and Summer Launch Season and we will be back at Higgs Farm for Red Glare XVIII in the fall. Keep an eye on the MDRA Web site for updates on launches and other special events.

Neil
:flyingpig:

MDRA - what a great job hosting Red Glare this weekend!

It was our first event as my son was completing a 4-H project with his first attempt at Level 1 certification. He flew an LOC 3.1" Black Brant on an H100 to perfection.

The fliers and rockets were all great. The MDRA staff announcing the flights and managing the range were awesome, not even counting Ms. Kate who apparently gently "kissed" the sod at 400 ft/sec and kept right on talking. A special thanks for insisting that the weather be *PERFECT* for flying! It couldn't have been a nicer Sunday.

Looking forward forward to coming out for a second launch, now that I'm hooked. Again, thanks for the outreach to the three 4-H Flying Tiger kids who scored their level one certs this weekend.

Joe

Last edited:
UNBELIEVABLE............

What a fantastic launch...........
What a great time...
Some of the flights I will remember forever....
MDRA--- My hat's off to each and everyone of you.........
You guys put on a launch that few can.......
Putting on a launch for that many people is logistically something else to behold.....
What a wonderful time my wife Sandy and I had...

Thank you all so much ,,,
Thank you Tommy Higgs for your hospitality and generosity,,,

Teddy

Kids and I had a FANTASTIC time! Wish we could have come all 3 days, but today was all schedules permitted. Hope to fly with MDRA again soon! I WILL get that Hornet up next time!

Later!

--Coop.

I didn't know you were at Red Glare....
I'd have found you to shake your hand for sure.........lol...

Teddy

OK we all already know how awesome RG is :wink: Now how about some flight reports?

Sadly, my camera battery was DOA, so I got no pics.

I launched my RW X-Celerator "Sky Burner" on a J380-SS to 2328 feet with perfect recovery.

Launched same rocket to 6423 on a K600-W. Shock cord balled up causing stress on NC. Bought a new NC, and learned a better technique for preventing harness binding (thanks Teddy and Fred).

Launched my Leviathan on a G74 and an H54 with an Aerocon cable-cutter. Adept DDC22 altimeter failed both times. Will be vacuum testing the altimeter ASAP.

Launched my Aerotech G-Force on a G79. Great flight.

Launched my Estes Hyperbat "Batman" on a C6-0 to C6-5. Great staging and very high, but it was so cloudy that I lost sight of it. Someone found it the next day, but a fin was broken off. It had also gotten wet enough that I retired it.

Last edited:
John D....
I was looking all over Higgs farm for you.......lol.....
It's only about a thousand mile run for you....lol....
I had some smokin beautiful flights,,,
due in no small part to the Marsa 54L........
What a great piece,,,, I am very glad I bought a 2nd one......

John S,,,,
Very cool flights for sure..
I definitely got some pics,,,
It'll take me about a week or more to go through them and delete all the ones of blank sky.....lol...
I'll post some up on my site as soon as I process them all...

Teddy

John D....
I was looking all over Higgs farm for you.......lol.....
It's only about a thousand mile run for you....lol....

Actually i go to RG once in a while, was thinking of this time but never got stuff ready in time. Looking forward to seeing you at LDRS.

JD

Actually i go to RG once in a while, was thinking of this time but never got stuff ready in time. Looking forward to seeing you at LDRS.

JD

Without a doubt John,,,,
I can't wait for LDRS,, that's going to be a great launch for sure as well...
And a very special one for me,, in part thanks to the Marsa 54L....lol....

Teddy...

Had a great time this weekend. Flew my Darkstar 3 on a J500 to 2778, and flew my Punisher on a I211 to 2728.

There was a guy taking pictures of all the flights, Neil did mention his web site.

And How about that KATE system.

Hey, where's all the great photos and videos. Couldn't make out there this time.

The photographer was Chris Taylor and his web site is rocketrylive.com

He expects to start loading photos today...the photos are free.....so grab some of your best flights and post them here for all to see......

Neil

The photographer was Chris Taylor and his web site is rocketrylive.com

He expects to start loading photos today...the photos are free.....so grab some of your best flights and post them here for all to see......

Neil

Oh man,,
Thanks Neil,,,
You mentioned his name and site a thousand times,,,,
Do you think I wrote it down,,,,, no.....
Do you think I'd remember it,,,, no....
And I don't care about all that malarkey my wife says about me.....
It's not true......lol....

Teddy

Nick Southern's AMW Parrot (built as a minimum diameter rocket) on an I800 Saturday afternoon:

[video=youtube;YwNEI8ylBCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwNEI8ylBCA[/video]

The Mega Der Red Max Drag Race

[video=youtube;rFkqCCfcnlU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFkqCCfcnlU[/video]

Back