Another crazy eBay auction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who starts auctions that high are crazy. You can start auctions on the low side of what the widget is going for if it makes the seller feel better but the fact is that 99% of the time the item goes for what it's worth on eBay especially if you start it at a penny. Early on its about getting bidders and watchers no matter the price so the last hour will get you the most competition on those who are interested. It's quite the amazing thing.

I work for a bank and there are far easier ways to launder money so I don't think that is it. Now people selling gift cards are a different story.

I work for a bank and there are far easier ways to launder money so I don't think that is it. Now people selling gift cards are a different story.

Oh well, another beautiful theory slain by ugly facts :).

I have heard that recently about gift cards though. I used to work for a retailer and part of my job was trying to find ways to push more of them...apparently there were unintended consequences. Sorry 'bout that ;)

Off-topic: a gift card is basically a no - interest loan to the store, to be paid in merchandise later. If the store goes out of business, you are left holding the bag. I don't like buying gift cards for this reason, especially to smaller stores where you may not get any warning that you have one last chance to redeem.

Last edited:
There's this newbie on there trying to sell the Estes Enterprise at $150.00 It started off at $200.00. I told him one can buy these for under $50.00 with S/H. He replied that he didn't want to go that low. yet he's dropped it by $50.00 so far. I just bought one for under $50.00 about a month or so ago.

Last edited:

Seller made a mistake; description of swing - wing glider included even though it's not part of the auction. Obviously a copy-paste from another listing.

Seriously though...why? Maybe eBay encourages this kind of thing...the links get reposted (like here, for example) and attract eyeballs to the site. I have to say it works...I had not been on eBay for years until after I joined TRF.

Call me a cynic...but I've been in marketing long enough to know that click bait doesn't happen by accident.

Last edited:
This guy (Goodrocks) has been trying to drive up the market with insane markups. I've been watching him for some time now. With enough patience, you can land better deals at a significantly lower price.

For this kind of money, I could hire the best modeler I could find to clone one for me. Then I could use $20 bills for wadding.

I think this is the guy who trolls the boards to find kits and sells them at a 200-300 percents markup.

Are you serious?!

There is a fellow that used to buy from he yard sale. He bought a few kits from me and reported them to eBay within days. He told some sob story about wanting a particular rocket but did not want to pay $50 to get a kit that his kids lost in a tree.

The same kit showed up within days of delivery on eBay. $40 was my price. He placed it on eBay for 105 plus shipping.

Maybe this is not the same guy but his prices are similar.

There is a fellow that used to buy from he yard sale. He bought a few kits from me and reported them to eBay within days. He told some sob story about wanting a particular rocket but did not want to pay $50 to get a kit that his kids lost in a tree.

The same kit showed up within days of delivery on eBay. $40 was my price. He placed it on eBay for 105 plus shipping.

I think it's him.

I remember that guy. Always had a story about how he had a stash of kits that he built (justifying his purchases from TRF rocketeers) and others that he sold... Haven't seen him around in a while (good riddance).

This goodrocks guy is nuts, but it only takes one sucker in an auction to make his strategy work.

Interestingly, he has a Fliskits Tres for $17.99; list price on Jim's site seems to be $32.95. Maybe the goodrocks forgot to add a 2 in front of the 17.99... 217.99 seems more his style...

Marc

I guess you can't overprice everything. some of those items have to appear unique enough to justify a ridiculous price

eBay gives away a lot of free listings which encourages sellers to do things like list stuff at ridiculous prices or in inappropriate categories.

Because it doesn't cost anything to list, some of the wild listings are "reverse auctions" where the seller starts with the price too high and lowers it over time until the item sells.

-- Roger

eBay gives away a lot of free listings which encourages sellers to do things like list stuff at ridiculous prices or in inappropriate categories.

Because it doesn't cost anything to list, some of the wild listings are "reverse auctions" where the seller starts with the price too high and lowers it over time until the item sells.

-- Roger

Now that makes a lot of sense, especially since these listings are by experienced sellers. They have items they are unfamiliar with and are trying to find the right price range...and if the listing is free then why not?

Now that makes a lot of sense, especially since these listings are by experienced sellers. They have items they are unfamiliar with and are trying to find the right price range...and if the listing is free then why not?

I base my listings on items of identical nature that have already sold, then make a decision based on an average of sorts.

Ebay is a market/mark-up place, so a seller can charge anything he/she wants, but if they seriously overprice either they're clueless or they're hoping someone will buy it and all it takes is one buyer/sucker. Have you guys seen some sucker prices on Amazon? Those sellers are betting on one sale to set them up so they charge 10x the original price. Just disgusting in my opinion.

Also Ebay has had seller offers where you can list for free and if it doesn't sell, you can relist for a number of times again free of charge. They're really trying to get more sellers and products in their site. They've been repeatedly offering me $10 for selling an item under my newer buyer account.

BTW - I used to be a Ebay Powerseller many years ago. You'd be surprised how much money people will spend when you have something hard to find/collectible...I actually felt guilty getting so much money (never thought I could feel that way), but it was the bidders who often bid it up and in the end, I figure they want it that badly, both of us can be happy. :)

I think this is the guy who trolls the boards to find kits and sells them at a 200-300 percents markup.

I think it's him.
I remember that guy. Always had a story about how he had a stash of kits that he built (justifying his purchases from TRF rocketeers) and others that he sold... Haven't seen him around in a while (good riddance).

This goodrocks guy is nuts, but it only takes one sucker in an auction to make his strategy work.

Interestingly, he has a Fliskits Tres for $17.99; list price on Jim's site seems to be $32.95. Maybe the goodrocks forgot to add a 2 in front of the 17.99... 217.99 seems more his style...

Marc

(From a different thread where people reported actual personal bad experiences with a particular vendor, apparently a friend of certain forum administrators, shortly before the thread was locked.)

Personal attack will not be tolerated on this site.

I guess personal attacks are OK if the vendor isn't your friend, you don't actually have ANY personal experience with them, and if most of what you are posting is simply utter conjecture.

I don't know Goodrocks other than on several occasions I have bought from him and sold to him in the past and found him to be honest, friendly, and easy to deal with. I also know that the five kits he is offering in the above-mentioned auction are, indeed, extremely rare. 3 of the 5 appear nowhere in the Fortin lists and all 5 are in exceptional condition for 50 year old kits. I, too, think his prices are usually higher than what I want to pay, but most of what he offers are pretty rare kits in outstanding condition, and are never far off the high end of the Fortin lists.

I always like looking at his auctions because he has a lot of old, unusual stuff that he's actually willing to sell, he really knows what he's offering and does a great job of explaining why he thinks it's valuable. Unlike a lot of what gets listed on ebay he really doesn't over state what he's selling. If you were willing to spend the money you could quickly acquire a truly outstanding collection from this guy.

Since virtually nothing of significant rarity is ever offered for sale here on TRF, I really doubt Goodrocks amassed his collection by "trolling" here. The personal attack on him here suggesting, without any proof, that he is actually some guy who at one time behaved dishonorably here seems way over the top and way more of a "personal attack" than reporting that a particular vendor didn't deliver what they promised.

There was a time in the past on this website where honest critiques of vendors were allowed, provided the person doing the reporting was the one who had the actual experience. Reporting such information, both good and bad, was considered of value to the community. What was not allowed was the kind of stuff going on in this thread where folks without any actual experience with a vendor just tee off on him because of some personal bias.

I guess that's changed under the latest management. Apparently the tolerance for "personal attacks" now depends on who's doing the speaking, rather than the veracity of what they are saying. I think the old rules were better.

Steve

Back