Wildman 3" Saab RB 05A

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that's what I use on larger rockets the arrow shank. I looked back at my Dynacom info and that is what Eric sent with his kits. I think he may have been the 1st fiberglass kit builder. All his parts always fit perfect.

I finished painting the Saab over the weekend. I applied 3 coats of primer and wet sanded with 400-600 after each coat. I decided to go with a fictional high visibility target drone motif over the stock plain white scheme. I used Rustoleum 2x Apple Red and Rustoleum Black Night Metallic paints. Does that sound familiar CJ? :p

I had a couple cans of the Apple Red. I had used it on my son's Ventris and it really stands out. I tried about 4-5 different schemes in Open Rocket(Yellow stripe, Black stripe, Blue stripe, Silver Stripe) but your Punisher left an impression that I couldn't get rid of. So, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

I bought a CTI J430 White Thunder for the maiden flight at Tripoli Central California on the 20th. :headbang:

IMG_2953.jpg

I added 24oz just to be safe. Once I get all the recovery gear installed I'll weigh it and double check the CG.

I tested the drogue ejection charge this morning. There are 2 of the keyhole rivets on this compartment and they seem to be in between 2-56 and 4-40 screws in shear strength. I used .8g which should have produced 25psi (~168lbs total force). It popped the rocket apart about 18" and didn't pull the drogue out. :facepalm: I guess I'll try 1.2g and see how that works. If that works I'll try 1.5g in the main compartment since it has 4 rivets holding it together.

I wound up with 1.3g in the drogue compartment and 2.0g in the nose cone. That gave me a clean separation and pulled the chutes out without pulling the harnesses out completely taut. I guess we'll see how it works out next weekend.

Following the thread - good luck with the launch Chris

I'm at 1.6 and 1.8g on my 5.5" magnum... My RSO looked at me sideways saying "that's all?" Maybe I need to bump mine up for insurance

Thanks Nick. It's due to the shear pins. I'm only using 2.4g on my 7.5" Door Knob and that compartment is huge.

I finished up the altimeter bay this morning. This rocket is set to fly. Unfortunately there's a chance I might not get to fly it tomorrow. I won't know until tonight.

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

I maidened the Saab on a CTI J430 WT today at Tripoli Central California's launch today. It flew straight and true to 4081'. That was pretty close to what OpenRocket predicted. The RRC2+ worked flawlessly.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1434861102.990465.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1434861123.044222.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1434861135.017085.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1434861147.520823.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!
I like that red so much, using it on everything lately. Covers good and lays out well, something that most rattle cans seem to lack these days.
Pictures you got are execptional.

That looks like an X chute? what size did you end up stuffing in the cone?

Thanks Jim!

I really like that red. I just wish it was a little more durable. I finished painting almost 3 weeks ago and it still seems a bit soft. That Black Night metallic was pretty impressive too. I think it was dry in 10 minutes.

I used a 24" Ultra X for the drogue and a 60" Ultra X for the main. I probably should have gotten the standard X type because the flat braid shroud lines are pretty bulky. I wrap the main in a 12x12 nomex blanket. I make a 2.5"x10" burrito with the shock cord fan folded and taped inside. It barely fits and the it's basically even with the bottom of the cone. It's a good thing I noticed that before I built the altimeter bay.

Very nice!
I like that red so much, using it on everything lately. Covers good and lays out well, something that most rattle cans seem to lack these days.
Pictures you got are execptional.

That looks like an X chute? what size did you end up stuffing in the cone?

I finally got to fly the Saab again this weekend at TCC's October Skies. I was supposed to fly it on a a K740 at Aeronaut but it was pretty windy Sunday so I decided to wait. Since TCC flies off an alfalfa field I decided that I had better install my Telemetrum in it. It's a good thing I did. It took off like a bullet and flew to 10,331' and 842 mph. It outperformed the OR sim but about 1500'. We lost sight of it after the drogue deployed, but we had a good downlink and found it right at the last GPS coordinate. You've heard the phrase it's better to be lucky than good. Well it applies to this flight. The rocket landed right next to a nasty irrigation ditch. The booster was only about a foot from getting wet.

DPP_0533.jpg

DPP_0534.jpg

Saab Flight Data.JPG

Saab 101715.JPG

Saab Earth.jpg

It's been a couple years since I flew this SAAB so I decided I should bring it to LDRS. After talking to Mike at BAR I decided to fly it on a CTI J355 Red.

I was never that happy with the fit of the 60" X C chute in the nose cone so I ordered a 36" Iris from Fruity Chutes this morning. It should be much easier to squeeze in.

Back