35mm film canisters for charge canisters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samsulajojo

Reaction score
Has anyone used 35mm film canisters for charges. I use a cpvc caps now but I had a problem where the masking tape can off and let the black powder out upon liftoff. So my drouge didn't come out at apogee. Main came out at 800ft tore the rocket apart. I was thinking 35mm canisters would work great with the pop top lid. Has anyone used these.

Has anyone used 35mm film canisters for charges. I use a cpvc caps now but I had a problem where the masking tape can off and let the black powder out upon liftoff. So my drouge didn't come out at apogee. Main came out at 800ft tore the rocket apart. I was thinking 35mm canisters would work great with the pop top lid. Has anyone used these.
Pm me your addy and I'll send you a dozen 1.5g centrifuge tubes. Sorry, lower 48 only.

Thanks for all the reply I think I'm gonna get those blasting caps in the first link on first post I like those

Thanks for all the reply I think I'm gonna get those blasting caps in the first link on first post I like those

ooh,ooh,ooh,ooh, not blasting caps. Blastcaps, no ing. You never know what kinds of alarms are going off in secret surveillance of the webz. Certain words trigger "red flags". Enough red flags and you draw the attention of the Secret Police...Security...Them Guys...:eyepop:

ooh,ooh,ooh,ooh, not blasting caps. Blastcaps, no ing. You never know what kinds of alarms are going off in secret surveillance of the webz. Certain words trigger "red flags". Enough red flags and you draw the attention of the Secret Police...Security...Them Guys...:eyepop:

Not if you are an American. They would need to have a warrant to sniff your web traffic.

Any chance that film canisters would blow up? They don't offer a lot of sidewall resistance. Very thin.

What shrox said. Warrant? What warrant? Don't need no stinking warrant!

The correct term for the receptacle attached to the bulkhead is charge well. Some folks just use copper tube caps or PVC caps. Others buy the ones offered for sale by Doghouse Rocketry or Blast Cap Rocketry. The centrifuge tube/lighter combination can also be dropped down inside the body tube underneath the chute/blanket/shockcord if the leads are long enough.

The correct term for the device that touches off the deployment charge is igniter/lighter/FireWire/electric match.

If masking tape doesn't stay on your charge well, try black electrical tape. Be sure to top of the charge well with dog barf before you seal it up with tape. Pressure is required to insure good combustion.

Last edited:
Any chance that film canisters would blow up? They don't offer a lot of sidewall resistance. Very thin.

Anyone? Anyone?

Seems to me that the very thin canisters would not be able to contain the explosion. But then since the explosion will always take the path of least resistance, it may not matter. Anyone know? Can anyone offer an educated guess?

Just curious....

I wouldn't think a centrifuge canister would be any more or less robust that a film canister. Put it in an old damaged rocket and light it up, reminds me of the tootsie pop commercial, 1...2...3 it takes 3 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop... have fun.

I wouldn't think a centrifuge canister would be any more or less robust that a film canister. Put it in an old damaged rocket and light it up, reminds me of the tootsie pop commercial, 1...2...3 it takes 3 licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop... have fun.

The tubes I have are thicker than the old film canisters. And since they're smaller diameter, that makes them stronger. I've used them with no problems. But with enough oomph, you can blow up any rocket.

^ It has been sooooo long since I have seen one you are probably correct. Bat-mite, why do you want to use something so large, there are many other choices.

I have no desire to use them. The OP was asking about them, and my response was going to be, "I think they would blow up and have to be replaced every time." But then I wondered, would they?

I like these.

https://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/half-ounce-mix-n-store-paint-pots-124784/

They easily hold 4 grams of BP with an e-match and wadding, have a tight fitting lid, and drop into 3/4" CPVC cap charge holders. At 16 for 2 bucks you can't beat 'em.

NikeMikey

I really like that idea. I just don't quite get why you put your charge in the holder and then put that holder into another holder. Why not just put the powder in the CPVC holder and eliminate the plastic holder?

I really like that idea. I just don't quite get why you put your charge in the holder and then put that holder into another holder. Why not just put the powder in the CPVC holder and eliminate the plastic holder?

1. It's really easy to seal up the charge.
2. You can make them up ahead of time if you like.
3. It's almost fool proof -- as opposed to the tape coming off. :-(
4. The CPVC helps contain and direct the charge into the airframe.
5. The disposable plastic cups also help protect the CPVC, contain the pressure to aid in complete burning, and also help direct the gases into the airframe.
6. If you just used the cups orientation of the charge could be a problem.
7. If you just used the CPVC it is hard to seal it up and make sure it stays that way under high G loading.

For the apogee (usually downward facing charge) I wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the cup to insure a tight fit.

NikeMikey

Back