Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen Flying Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture yourself with a boat on a launch pad
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
The RSO calls you, you answer quite slowly
A dude with kaleidoscope eyes

Cellophane oddrocs of yellow and green
Towering over your head
Look to the pad as the ship's motor fries
And it's gone...

Whoooooosh....

Eugen in the sky with diamonds

Aaaaahhhhh...

RSO #1 is in the office and just read your post. He :rofl: . The Prinz passed but I will add a streamer off the whale's tail for a bit more under side drag.

Now on to the launch and final Pad Fuehrer approval tomorrow.

RSO #1 is in the office and just read your post. He :rofl: . The Prinz passed but I will add a streamer off the whale's tail for a bit more under side drag.

Now on to the launch and final Pad Fuehrer approval tomorrow.

Glad to be of assistance. Good luck mit der Pad Fuehrer. Safety! Safety! Uber alles!

The Prinz weighed in at 1 pound 13.8 ounces. CG just aft of turret #2, estimated CP about at the pinnacle of the roll cage, so with some pyramid power in play the Pad Fuehrer should be likely to OK off 1/2" rod on away pad.

Back to skill level one. I can't even get two motors to light. Result is flat spin and crash. Just a pile of little plastic parts, the horror. And worst of all Goose didn't make it, sending me into a real Top Gun funk. Now comes the Board of Inquiry that will exonerate me. Both igniters went off but for some reason that motor didn't light. In the mean time it will take lots of sunset super bike rides and hanging out down at the beach shack. Many hours spent at the bar drinking ice water, just like Maverick with all the anxiety and aviator sunglasses. Even Kelly McGillis and playing volleyball will not get me out of this funk. And the nightmares, over and over again, just like below.

[video]https://youtu.be/DCt-Id6TEMQ[/video]

Thanks to Redneck Pyro for the AWESOME video!!!

Last edited:
I was looking at the 1/500 and 1/350 Bondai kits. Very pricy and a very difficult PMC with all the bulkheads. Nasty nose weight, rear eject ?, big motor, how do you make it somewhat durable? Use the plastic model superstructure around a traditional rocket core? It would take a real pro and fan of the series to pull it off as a flying model rocket.
I only suggested the Star Blazers because you are the one person on TRF who would be able to pull it off. You specialize in completing the impossible challenges.

Doesn't necessarily have to be be a PMC, does it?

Prinz Eugen trivia: When I lived in Germany as a yoot, there was an urban legend that claimed the engines were salvaged after WWII and installed in the SS United States.

I only suggested the Star Blazers because you are the one person on TRF who would be able to pull it off. You specialize in completing the impossible challenges.

Doesn't necessarily have to be be a PMC, does it?

Prinz Eugen trivia: When I lived in Germany as a yoot, there was an urban legend that claimed the engines were salvaged after WWII and installed in the SS United States.

They did salvage one of the props and sent it back to Germany. It could be built around a traditional rocket core with plastic parts from a cheaper Yamato kit. After today's debacle I don't think I could successfully fly an Alpha.:(

Just a flesh wound...

Not quite dead yet...

That video was awesome...

Last edited:
That was an epic crash! Excellent video, but oh, the humanity!

It doesn't look too bad --- not like the Prinz will need to be relegated to nuclear target practice.

As for the court martial, you can hope for the aid of a few good men. Even if you are not completely exonerated, there may still be a minority report that finds you innocent. You knew this would be risky business, an almost impossible mission... Wait... Strike that... Reverse it. This was far and away one of your best efforts. The stuff of legend. You went into it with your eyes wide shut, you had all the right moves, but then --- oblivion. At least there was no collateral damage. Have a cocktail and try not to worry about it.

Last edited:
Yaouch! My girlfriend, who thought your ship-rocket looked awesome, and I feel bad for you. I hope you have the Thomas Edison fiber in you!

And yeah, the video is pretty awesome on its own :)

Good luck on the next mission.

Last edited:
that is terrible news! Hopefully the Hauptmann is OK? time to make the channel dash Daddy and bring this cruiser into dry dock for repairs.

Getting two motors to light is never easy unless you're using Cesaroni.

The flat spin was the best possible failure and Der Prinz Eugen looked like it was going to survive the rough seas right up until it started squirreling around in the dirt. At least the motor(s) didn't cato.

Buy ya a beer?

WAIT! Did the Von Trapp's survive/get rescued? Did the SD space Orcas detach in time to save themselves from certain death? Tell us O Great Creator Of Epic Odd-Rocs, did all live?

If you repair it, you'll have a Fresh Prinz.

-c4f637a2-96ce-4043-89d7-19bb63e55073.jpeg

I just had long talk with the real Top Gun Viper (a.k.a. Hauptmann Kitty.) He said he knew how tough it was to survive a flat spin in the danger zone, and that he would not hold it against me if I never got behind the button again. Then to work out my "Daddy" issues he let me in on a closely held, Top Secret story only known by a select few very high up. He could tell me this in confidence because he is such a powerful growler and not afraid of reprisal. It turns out the Von Trapps were not on board, they actually escaped across some border that some Gaulieter finds very embarrassing and wants to keep quiet. Turns out Georg Von Trapp was a good guy after all, and worse yet they escaped because the nuns sabotaged the electric launch system. He said Rolfe went down with the ship, hiding in the head. Now the Hauptmann is off to Libya to cross a so called line of death and kick a little A.

That was an epic crash! Excellent video, but oh, the humanity!

It doesn't look too bad --- not like the Prinz will need to be relegated to nuclear target practice.

As for the court martial, you can hope for the aid of a few good men. Even if you are not completely exonerated, there may still be a minority report that finds you innocent. You knew this would be risky business, an almost impossible mission... Wait... Strike that... Reverse it. This was far and away one of your best efforts. The stuff of legend. You went into it with your eyes wide shut, you had all the right moves, but then --- oblivion. At least there was no collateral damage. Have a cocktail and try not to worry about it.

You make me want to go and jump on Oprah's couch!

Getting two motors to light is never easy unless you're using Cesaroni.

The flat spin was the best possible failure and Der Prinz Eugen looked like it was going to survive the rough seas right up until it started squirreling around in the dirt. At least the motor(s) didn't cato.

Buy ya a beer?

That was and EKU Kulminator 28 crash!

I knew the Hauptmann would survive...he is a man (cat) of legend. Actually, the Hauptmann did a great job of holding onto the spin and recovering the vessel with some damage so that she could be repaired. This is the difference between a skilled test pilot (heck..I have 15 seconds before this is going to crash!!) as opposed to a an inexperienced test pilot (this is going to hit in 15 seconds...PANIC EJECT! EJECT!! EJECT!!). The Hauptmann is to be commended. maybe swords and diamonds for his Knight's Cross?

I just had long talk with the real Top Gun Viper (a.k.a. Hauptmann Kitty.) He said he knew how tough it was to survive a flat spin in the danger zone, and that he would not hold it against me if I never got behind the button again. Then to work out my "Daddy" issues he let me in on a closely held, Top Secret story only known by a select few very high up. He could tell me this in confidence because he is such a powerful growler and not afraid of reprisal. It turns out the Von Trapps were not on board, they actually escaped across some border that some Gaulieter finds very embarrassing and wants to keep quiet. Turns out Georg Von Trapp was a good guy after all, and worse yet they escaped because the nuns sabotaged the electric launch system. He said Rolfe went down with the ship, hiding in the head. Now the Hauptmann is off to Libya to cross a so called line of death and kick a little A.

I went a little heavy with the Cruise in this Heavy Cruiser thread.

That is fine. Tom foolery is accepted in the Oddroc section. A complete lack of hard rocket science and high end engineering. Who is doing the MATH? Where is the PURE LOGIC and the stoic, non comedic approach so valued here on TRF?

The good news is the PODS survived and I think I got most of the plastic bits back from the smallish crash site. We can rebuild a Fresh Prinz, better, faster, stronger.

The only problem is the Fresh Prinz is going to want to adopt an unpronounceable symbol for it's new name. We will have to call it "The Heavy Cruiser formally known as Prinz."

I knew the Hauptmann would survive...he is a man (cat) of legend. Actually, the Hauptmann did a great job of holding onto the spin and recovering the vessel with some damage so that she could be repaired. This is the difference between a skilled test pilot (heck..I have 15 seconds before this is going to crash!!) as opposed to a an inexperienced test pilot (this is going to hit in 15 seconds...PANIC EJECT! EJECT!! EJECT!!). The Hauptmann is to be commended. maybe swords and diamonds for his Knight's Cross?

He does a broad daylight Channel Dash every day to cross the street and get down to the creek for some good hunting. He has carved out a large territory clear of partisan critters. With Spring arriving he will take to catching some rays in his favorite spots.

If there's any incidents that he's suspected of (presuming it keeps crashing) there should be plenty of evidence... He'll be leaving Prinz all over the place.

The only problem is the Fresh Prinz is going to want to adopt an unpronounceable symbol for it's new name. We will have to call it "The Heavy Cruiser formally known as Prinz."

Before you fly it, you will have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Before you fly it, you will have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

I have been to Minnehaha Falls in the winter and it was way too cold. Then my inlaws tell me the Mega Skeeters will get you in the summer. Way too dangerous. The Prinz is also a Heller kit, so everything is in French and I'm sure it would not put up at all being associated with anything Tonka.

Oh its a Heller kit? well that explains it. I suspect the Resistance was involved in the "faulty" ignition of the one engine....have you checked your electrical lines to see if they were cut? Any trains go off the rails out there? did you hear any odd poems being read over the radio such as The long sobs of the violins of autumn wound my heart with a monotonous languor???

I have been to Minnehaha Falls in the winter and it was way too cold. Then my inlaws tell me the Mega Skeeters will get you in the summer. Way too dangerous. The Prinz is also a Heller kit, so everything is in French and I'm sure it would not put up at all being associated with anything Tonka.

After the Channel Dash the Prinz was quickly repaired and is ready for action again. Just lost one AA gun, a radar tower and those super delicate mast pieces. Very durable these PMCs! I will switch out the elastic with kevlar or a combo less prone to heat damage.

P E Repair.jpg

Back