Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen Flying Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a Plastic Model Conversion (PMC), or maybe a better term is a Plastic injected Model Perversion (PiMP,) of the WWII Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen. Two 29mm BP F-15's will make her fly. Tractor canted motors, no problem, like a Deuces Wild with some mods, at least that will be my story at the launch. I have found the oddroc flyer has only four friends: Power, Nose Weight, Canted Flame Fin Action and Base Drag. Using three out of the four I hope to get a pad assignment at the way back pad after intensive, highly certified supervision. These are pictures taken as the paint is drying and the superstructure has not yet been glued to the hull. It will fly with a plastic roll cage to protect all the silly delicate bits as best as possible. It can not be a one and done, Pad Fuehrer will not allow since that is too close to being like a pyro and not a rocket man. Two tightly packed chutes will hopefully bring her down nice and soft with the bow gently sticking in the mud. I need high performance and durability in my rockets. The slightest amount of damage will send me into a tizzy. Do you think this is the right rocket for me?

Prinz Eugen 1.jpgPrinz Eugen 2.jpgPrinz Eugen 4.jpgPrinz Eugen 5.jpgPrinz Eugen 6.jpgPrinz Eugen 7.jpgPrinz Euguen 3.jpg

Some rather silly conversation about this rocket all started in another thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123597-Japan-s-WW2-Musashi-battleship-wreck-found

Last edited:
The whale is killer.

I hope the Prinz does not run into any giant squids while flying, but really, what are the odds of that? How often do you see a flying squid?

The whale is killer.

I hope the Prinz does not run into any giant squids while flying, but really, what are the odds of that? How often do you see a flying squid?

The odds of a heavy cruiser and a giant squid involved in a mid air collision are impossible. . . well now that I think of it maybe not so impossible. . . well maybe quite probable if you are at a really silly place. . . in fact I just might have heard something like that might happen.:D

At least I can tell the RSO it has four fins! Four fins and no nose cone, 4FNNC! Very straight forward and conventional, no worries.

beautiful! is that the Quisling Narwhale on the bottom of the cruiser? I think with a little study and practice the Hauptmann kitty will have no difficulty transitioning from a Stuka to a heavy cruiser..none at all! I gotta figure the turn radius for a Stuka is probably the same as a heavy cruiser...maybe a better rate of roll and similar firepower!! I am a little worried about the Pad Fuehrer though....might take some 'splainin to do with this one! (or schnaaps...)

Here is a Plastic Model Conversion (PMC), or maybe a better term is a Plastic injected Model Perversion (PiMP,) of the WWII Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen. Two 29mm BP F-15's will make her fly. Tractor canted motors, no problem, like a Deuces Wild with some mods, at least that will be my story at the launch. I have found the oddroc flyer has only four friends: Power, Nose Weight, Canted Flame Fin Action and Base Drag. Using three out of the four I hope to get a pad assignment at the way back pad after intensive, highly certified supervision. These are pictures taken as the paint is drying and the superstructure has not yet been glued to the hull. It will fly with a plastic roll cage to protect all the silly delicate bits as best as possible. It can not be a one and done, Pad Fuehrer will not allow since that is too close to being like a pyro and not a rocket man. Two tightly packed chutes will hopefully bring her down nice and soft with the bow gently sticking in the mud. I need high performance and durability in my rockets. The slightest amount of damage will send me into a tizzy. Do you think this is the right rocket for me?

View attachment 257911View attachment 257912View attachment 257913View attachment 257914View attachment 257915View attachment 257916View attachment 257917

Some rather silly conversion about this rocket all started in another thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123597-Japan-s-WW2-Musashi-battleship-wreck-found

beautiful! is that the Quisling Narwhale on the bottom of the cruiser? I think with a little study and practice the Hauptmann kitty will have no difficulty transitioning from a Stuka to a heavy cruiser..none at all! I gotta figure the turn radius for a Stuka is probably the same as a heavy cruiser...maybe a better rate of roll and similar firepower!! I am a little worried about the Pad Fuehrer though....might take some 'splainin to do with this one! (or schnaaps...)

Couldn't find a narwahl so had to go with an Allgemeine Orca bath tub toy instead. The Hauptmann will be there, especially if there are plenty of Friskies Buffet cans labeled Captain's Choice.

Yep, the Pad Fuehrer can be harsh, but I haven't had an unstable one yet, and with the boatloads of nose weight and the motors up front I hope this one is OK too. 100 proof schnapps can take the edge off and provide needed liquid courage.

Just for NJRick:

The Hauptmann inspected the roll cage and was not pleased. He said he did not need a wussy roll cage. So he just decided to take a nap on my coat. He did like the long shock cords but was concerned as to recovery space and chute packing.

P E H K.jpg

Last edited:
You can tell by his expression that he is not pleased. The Hauptmann brings years of experience to the table...fighting the Bolsheviks on the Eastern Front as well as toying with the Allies on the Western front. A cat that drinks schnaaps with the likes of Hanna Reisch , Hans Rudel and Erik Hartmann is not to be taken lightly. All that said, my money is on the Hauptmann taking command of the Heavy Cruiser.

your cat is awesome!

Just for NJRick:

The Hauptmann inspected the roll cage and was not pleased. He said he did not need a wussy roll cage. So he just decided to take a nap on my coat. He did like the long shock cords but was concerned as to recovery space and chute packing.

View attachment 258087

You can tell by his expression that he is not pleased. The Hauptmann brings years of experience to the table...fighting the Bolsheviks on the Eastern Front as well as toying with the Allies on the Western front. A cat that drinks schnaaps with the likes of Hanna Reisch , Hans Rudel and Erik Hartmann is not to be taken lightly. All that said, my money is on the Hauptmann taking command of the Heavy Cruiser.

your cat is awesome!

When the Hauptmann takes the helm the roll cage and the SD Orca are gone. Referring back to the old thread linked in post #1; the Von Trapp family singers crewing the ship will find a new level of Old Navy discipline, I am talking wooden ships and iron men style discipline. Give the Hauptmann five minutes and all the Von Trapp child discipline problems will be solved. They will act much better than they did at the beginning of the movie. Give him another five minutes and SD Orca will be Shamu Steaks in the Galley. The Hauptmann does not tolerate any Party supervision or interference.

I will reinforce some Estes plastic chutes, load it up and it will be ready to fly. CG is at the aft of turret #2, asymmetric drag but manageable, plenty of power to provide flame fin action. Now all there is to do is to prepare my presentation to the RSO and hope for a pad assignment. Have to go through pre-approval and review process, put together the write off on Six Levels of certified supervision. Fire crew must be assembled and fresh rain must have ground wet. Pad Fuehrer must remove his automatic oddroc ban based on looks alone. Launch area cleared, range closed, bunker blast doors closed, weather checked, sky cleared, heads up called and then the countdown to terror can begin.

the Hauptmann rules with an iron fist (paw)....I would not mess with him...you know these national Soicalist types....I hear even the gestapo wary of the Hauptmann....as for the von Traps....they better get their sea legs fast or they going over board...the Prince Eugen is a warchip, not a cruise liner.....and the Hauptmann will be taking her into harms way.

When the Hauptmann takes the helm the roll cage and the SD Orca are gone. Referring back to the old thread linked in post #1; the Von Trapp family singers crewing the ship will find a new level of Old Navy discipline, I am talking wooden ships and iron men style discipline. Give the Hauptmann five minutes and all the Von Trapp child discipline problems will be solved. They will act much better than they did at the beginning of the movie. Give him another five minutes and SD Orca will be Shamu Steaks in the Galley. The Hauptmann does not tolerate any Party supervision or interference.

I will reinforce some Estes plastic chutes, load it up and it will be ready to fly. CG is at the aft of turret #2, asymmetric drag but manageable, plenty of power to provide flame fin action. Now all there is to do is to prepare my presentation to the RSO and hope for a pad assignment. Have to go through pre-approval and review process, put together the write off on Six Levels of certified supervision. Fire crew must be assembled and fresh rain must have ground wet. Pad Fuehrer must remove his automatic oddroc ban based on looks alone. Launch area cleared, range closed, bunker blast doors closed, weather checked, sky cleared, heads up called and then the countdown to terror can begin.

When the Hauptmann gets the hunting spirit going there is no stopping him. The U boats will sail through the Strait of Gibraltar in broad daylight while sunning themselves after Hauptmann Kitty cleans it out.

oh there is no doubt! the Straits will become a pleasure cruise for the U boats!! The Hauptmann has honed his hunting skills and applied it to air warfare...and with the heavy cruise, now sea warfare.

When the Hauptmann gets the hunting spirit going there is no stopping him. The U boats will sail through the Strait of Gibraltar in broad daylight while sunning themselves after Hauptmann Kitty cleans it out.

Again for NJRick to size up the Prinz. Here it is beside the beloved Zoochers. The Zoochers, built of proper material and with the motor in the right place, will fly on a C6 3, after one rids oneself of squirming hatchblowerness. Whereas the Prinz, toting a large amount of questionable technique, is going up on a wimpy clustered G 30 equivalent, a 120 grams of inefficient propellant and a prayer.

P E Z 1.jpgP E Z 2.jpgP E Z 3.jpg

Last edited:
tried to sneak a Zooch Saturn 1b in there? Beautiful job on the R-7s and that Apollo 7 1b!!!
the Prinz Eugen is ready to slip the surly bonds of earth!!

Again for NJRick to size up the Prinz. Here it is beside the beloved Zoochers. The Zoochers, built of proper material and with the motor in the right place, will fly on a C6 3, after one rids oneself of squirming hatchblowerness. Whereas the Prinz, toting a large amount of questionable technique, is going up on a wimpy clustered G 30 equivalent, a 120 grams of inefficient propellant and a prayer.

View attachment 258291View attachment 258293View attachment 258294

While I very much appreciate the fruits of your fevered mind, I find myself having to ask:

Do you have many problems with side effects when you go back on your meds?

The Prince Eugene is packed and ready to go. Now all I need is a little help from my friends.

Let me guess... you get by with a little help from your friends... a little high with a little help from your friends...

Do you need anybody?

For your next creation, how about doing the battleship from the old Star Blazer series?

series_starblazers.jpg

My kids never missed this. Here's the intro shown at the start of each episode.

[video=youtube;eMcrep48Wz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMcrep48Wz0[/video]

Very Nicely Done!
I really like the orca add-on offset LOL! Very Creative way of offseting the drag.

I've been Planning two different boat PMC Odd-Rocs for some time. A WWII Submarine don't recall the class at the moment and a 1/700 Scale Battleship. Neither are planned with forward canted motor mount. both will have some from of clear Polycarbonate fins or Box fin. Haven't worked out all the details but the Sub should fly in a D12 and the Battle ship on a pair of D12's.

While I very much appreciate the fruits of your fevered mind, I find myself having to ask:

Do you have many problems with side effects when you go back on your meds?

Aah aah
I want a new drug
One that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my car
Or make me feel three feet thick
I want a new drug
One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my mouth too dry
Or make my eyes too red
One that won't make me nervous
Wondering what to do?
One that makes me feel like I feel when I launch rocs
When I'm launching oddrocs
I want a new drug
One that won't spill
One that don't cost too much
Or come in a pill
I want a new drug
One that won't go away
One that won't keep me up all night
One that won't make me sleep all day
Wondering what to do?
I'm launching oddrocs
I'm launching oddrocs baby
I want a new drug
One that does what it should
One that won't make me feel too bad
One that won't make me feel too good
I want a new drug
One with no doubt
One that won't make me talk too much
Or make my face break out
Wondering what to do?
I'm launching oddrocs
I'm launching oddrocs yea yea

GO Huey Lewis & The News!

Last edited:
Let me guess... you get by with a little help from your friends... a little high with a little help from your friends...

Do you need anybody?

Meeting for lunch today with RSO #1. He is bringing the scale for Phase One launch approval. Wish me luck! He is an old Hippie so all the drug songs will HELP!

For your next creation, how about doing the battleship from the old Star Blazer series?

series_starblazers.jpg

My kids never missed this. Here's the intro shown at the start of each episode.

[video=youtube;eMcrep48Wz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMcrep48Wz0[/video]

I was looking at the 1/500 and 1/350 Bondai kits. Very pricy and a very difficult PMC with all the bulkheads. Nasty nose weight, rear eject ?, big motor, how do you make it somewhat durable? Use the plastic model superstructure around a traditional rocket core? It would take a real pro and fan of the series to pull it off as a flying model rocket.

Very Nicely Done!
I really like the orca add-on offset LOL! Very Creative way of offseting the drag.

I've been Planning two different boat PMC Odd-Rocs for some time. A WWII Submarine don't recall the class at the moment and a 1/700 Scale Battleship. Neither are planned with forward canted motor mount. both will have some from of clear Polycarbonate fins or Box fin. Haven't worked out all the details but the Sub should fly in a D12 and the Battle ship on a pair of D12's.

Can't wait to see your cool PMC stuff!

Meeting for lunch today with RSO #1. He is bringing the scale for Phase One launch approval. Wish me luck! He is an old Hippie so all the drug songs will HELP!

Picture yourself with a boat on a launch pad
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
The RSO calls you, you answer quite slowly
A dude with kaleidoscope eyes

Cellophane oddrocs of yellow and green
Towering over your head
Look to the pad as the ship's motor fries
And it's gone...

Whoooooosh....

Eugen in the sky with diamonds