U.S.S. Promethus Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjh1

Reaction score
Today I start the build of the U.S.S. Prometheus from Red River Rocketry. First, let me say that I count John Dyer, owner of Red River Rocketry as one of my friends so I am already bias. I bought this kit from John at a recent Dallas Area Rocket Society launch and hope to launch it at the next launch.
20150314_185153.jpg

The parts are of excellent quality, especially the balsa stock. Also the parts were bagged separately in zip lock bags which made organizing the parts very easy.
View attachment 257876

First step is to build the motor mount. This is a pretty standard mount but I found the parts fit perfectly without the need to sand anything. The only change I made was to put the Kevlar cord between the motor tube the centering ring and the instruction call for it between the outside bode tube and centering ring. Minor change but in my opinion but less stress on the centering ring at ejection time. I am just a bit old school I guess.

View attachment 257879

Next was to punch out balsa pieces. I say punch out and not cut because the laser cut was so well done that cutting was not really needed. Sanding edge was minimal.

20150314_200032.jpg

At this point I have already inserted the motor mount into the main body tube and I will wait until tomorrow for glue to dry.

Last edited:
Day 2
Attaching the wings. Here the instruction are a little vague on the down sweep of the wings but with the aid of a diagram I guessed that laying the tube on its side the wings should touch the surface its sitting on. I will set this aside to let the glue set up before continuing.

20150315_101611.jpg20150315_101624.jpg

Is the U.S.S. Promethus model based upon the "Alien prequel" movie " Promethus "by any chance?

Is the U.S.S. Promethus model based upon the "Alien prequel" movie " Promethus "by any chance?

The two look nothing alike. It's fairly safe to say no.

prometheus.jpg

PrometheusDiagram.jpg

BTW... there's the two NCC Prometheus(es?) as well (Star Trek DS9 (Second Sight) & Voyager (Message in a Bottle))

NCC-71201.jpg
NX-59650.jpg

Then there's the ship in Babylon 5 which started the Earth-Minbari war when it attacked the Minbari after misunderstanding the gesture of approaching with gun ports open.

Thanks. I've not be fortunate enough to find a copy of the "Prometheus" movie to enjoy yet.
I understand it's pretty intense, and gory... and doesn't quite mate up to the original movie quite right...

Still, it's worthwhile, right?

It's one of those movies I came out of and said to myself, I want those two hours of my life back...

I hated it.

It has nothing to do with the movie, as the rocket was in production well before it came out....as for the movie, many here will say they liked it, many others will say they hated it. So you'll have to decide for yourself. ;)

I was looking through my collection of “Not Assembled Yet” rockets and discovered I have the Red River “Prometheus” kit.

I think it is somewhere at 975 on the to do list.

Back