estes patriot build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingrocket

Reaction score
I am building this for d class motors.I borrowed a motor tube from another kit.20150313_175300.jpgHere it is ready for install. I wanted the ring flush with the body tube rather than set in.
20150314_093214.jpgHere it is in the tube with foil tape for heat shield.(not sure why it looks purple)
20150314_134917.jpgThe fins were traced and cut from birch ply.
20150314_165704.jpgonce glued to the tube I made a fillet of baking soda along each fin and soaked it with CA. They are very strong.
20150314_184750.jpgMaking the wood discs for the baffle section.
20150314_192352.jpgHere is the bottom side with foil heat shield applied.
20150314_192438.jpgtest fitting in tube. Perfect fit.
20150314_192520.jpgwaiting for a bit of sanding and filling around the seams.

More to come.

Looking good so far, built for D motors, hmm... and also Es and Fs if you use a Aerotech 24/40 reloadable motor.

Yes an aerotech 24/40 is definitely in my future, and along with it some higher power loads.Those would be for times when I am able to join a club launch and have the room needed.

20150315_110117.jpgHere is the baffle with a nylon bold for the cord anchor.20150315_110438.jpgAnd with the cord attached to the nose cone. The baffle will be glued the yellow section of tube rather than the main tube. I will use tape to fasten it there.I want the option of refilling the baffle with wadding from time to time as well as cleaning out the residue from the main tube.20150315_140024.jpgFilled and mostly sanded. At this point I need some warmer weather to do the paint etc. These little rockets are just what I needed to get me through the last weeks of crap weather after a long stinkin winter.

Last edited:
I plan on doing similar things to my Estes Patriot kit, except the yellow section will become an altimeter bay, and the lower coupler may become a baffle, also a 24mm mmt (thought about a 29mm but the chances of losing it are way to high)

Looking good so far, built for D motors, hmm... and also Es and Fs if you use a Aerotech 24/40 reloadable motor.
I did the same thing with my estes patriot, two things I learned with the 24mm APCP motors, first use single use motors as this rocket will reach extreme heights at extreme speeds and you may lose track of the rocket, and if you have a reload case in it that will be lost also and second use a streamer for recovery so you can get the rocket back, if you use the supplied parachute the rocket will drift away making recovery almost impossible. Good luck and have fun. I now have the Estes Patriot again, Madcow 1/4 Patriot again and PML 1/2 Patriot

I did the same thing with my estes patriot, two things I learned with the 24mm APCP motors, first use single use motors as this rocket will reach extreme heights at extreme speeds and you may lose track of the rocket, and if you have a reload case in it that will be lost also and second use a streamer for recovery so you can get the rocket back, if you use the supplied parachute the rocket will drift away making recovery almost impossible. Good luck and have fun. I now have the Estes Patriot again, Madcow 1/4 Patriot again and PML 1/2 Patriot

Thanks for the tip.I kinda figured that would be the case thats why I wasnt gonna try in unless I was at a place with a ton of room and lots of eyes on it. Even with d motors it should be pretty decent.

I plan on doing similar things to my Estes Patriot kit, except the yellow section will become an altimeter bay, and the lower coupler may become a baffle, also a 24mm mmt (thought about a 29mm but the chances of losing it are way to high)
I,m not advanced enough to do the altimeter thing yet. I hope you do a build thread of it.

Back