Drone video footage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a good thing I dont own a drone! I own some quadcopters that has camera's mounted on them, but no drone.

Reading a copy of the actual warning letter, it appears the flyer was being admonished for flying in controlled, commercial & military airspace, not because the clips on YouTube were monetized. I'm guessing, but they are probably nailing him for flying above 500'.

Now for my rant.

Not to many people can afford a drone. Many of the electronics are very cost prohibitive to make a drone. GPS, Flight computer, and etc.
Next a drone isnt just a 4 prop X style helicopter. I can make anything into a drone... a boat, a car, rc car, rc airplane, robot, heck even a rocket if i was inclined enough to do so. Drone is a unmanned device that can control itself by programmed gps coordinates, special programming, or other means.

If they ban drones they need to ban the whole RC industry that could potentially mount drone equipment. People just assume the X style 4 prop helicopters (aka quadcopter) is a drone due to its shape. I have the same rant about weapons, but I am not going down that path due to this forum is more for model hobby items and not weapons. I am just tired of this stupid debate about these toys just because they can have a camera mounted on them and people are afraid that their privacy rights are going to be violated. But I am sorry, you live in a tech world now and there really is no such thing as privacy anymore and taking it out on a toy that has a camera on it isnt going to solve nothing.

ALso to be honest the gov screwed up so many laws on flying rc craft they basically outlawed flying anything at the moment. I believe there is a ban on craft isnt allowed to fly under 500ft yet nothing is allowed to fly over 400ft. (I need to find the proof to cite this correctly.) I know last few months last year they were scrambling to fix this law due to it making many rc people upset. Yet our rocketry hobby is over looked due to many people are responsible when we fly and I thank you for this.

FAA= Feds Against Aviation :dark:
I believe one day the Feds will require a warning inside the womb "*WARNING* Leaving this protective area could be hazardous." :y:

[video=youtube;H0Ib9SwC7EI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H0Ib9SwC7EI[/video]

Illegal To Post Drone Videos On YouTube...

But Drone Striking American Citizens Is Authorized...

Sounds Reasonable...

Here is a recent video by David Windestål, of RCExplorer.se

[video=youtube;sjh4N204Vuw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjh4N204Vuw[/video]

He's one of the Rock Stars of Multicopter flying. Incredibly skilled pilot, great videos. He lives in Sweden, but lived in the U.S. for a year and half, working with the Flite Test group (I watch every video they do), and he was their best innovator/designer.

He helped to popularize the "Tricopter". It maneuvers better than the other multicopter types because the prop on the tail is hinged to tilt side to side so it has a better yaw feel (Other multicopters rotate in yaw by speeding up some motors/props and slowing down opposite rotation motors/props so the difference in torque causes it to rotate in yaw. Nice for a stable camera platform). I have not flown any multicopter beyond a DJI Phantom II for 5 minutes. But have done some recent flying on RealFlight (R/C Flight Simulator) with various virtual multicopters. The TriCopter is the most fun to fly, it can bank in turns more like a plane does and the visual cues for piloting are more like flying a plane. That is what he used in this video.

I'm hoping to build a TriCopter after summer, to fly in the Fall.

One more video by David, from 2 years ago. A balloon carried a "Space Glider" up to about 30 kilometers, then dropped it.

[video=youtube;rpBnurznFio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBnurznFio[/video]

OK, so it's not a multicopter, but still….hobbyist "drone" tech.

And I would LOVE for the FAA to embarrass itself even more by sending him a threatening letter for that flight (or the indoor mall flight). It would be hilarious.

Indeed..... LOTS of videos on the net of people using helium balloons to carry payloads (nearly always a camera of some type, sometimes a cell phone) up very high, many miles (not "Space", that is impossible). Some have been school student groups. NO WAIVERS. Have not seen one story about the FAA sending threatening letters to anyone about THAT.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Here's another video.

Alternate irresponsible headline to feed the hysteria would be:

"Drone drops projectiles on large public gatherings! Terrorizes people on streets!"

[video=youtube;5v1hKMNl034]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1hKMNl034[/video]

And again I'd love for the FAA to send letters to the pilot of this....OMG he flew right next to National Monuments, even flew through one!

Back