• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FWD closure for CTI 54mm, threaded with smoke well and rear closure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donhuff

Reaction score
SOLD...that was quick!

Have you ever wanted to use a CTI 54mm in a rocket, but wanted to attach the shock cord to the motor? Or maybe you like a good long burning smoke grain, so that you can actually see where the rocket went.

Well, here is how you can do that! It has a 5/16" welded small eye eyebolt. And a long enough smoke grain, with my slow mix, that you will have smoke most of the way back down to earth.

And also includes a 54mm rear closure, and a few extra smoke grains, made up in 38mm liner so that it's easy to make more.

To be legal, you would have to fly it as a research flight. I have made 3 or 4 of these things, and everyone has loved them.

$60.00 + shipping, USA only

DSC_5010.jpgDSC_5011.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe for $100 bucks. It takes me a long time to turn one out.

Don,

There is another guy here on the forum who has made a version of this. I have one of his and have never used it. I like yours a lot better. If you were to make any more, I might also be in for one. I like the snap ring holding on the smoke grain. The one I have had an abnormal size smoke well and pretty useless for smoke, making it inferior to the stock phenolic unit with a sunken nut.

I made one for Dr. Bob in our club, and he flew it several times.

I made the standard 40-40-20 smoke mix, but added 2-3% ammonium choloride (I think that's what it was) to slow it down by almost half. I think he had one to smoke all the way to the ground!

I could actually make it so that the part that sticks up out of the case, could be as long as you wanted, for a very long grain. Might have to make it smaller in diameter though.

Oh yeah, The snap ring is the best idea of all.

I have seen a couple of blue motors pop because of that half azz way of smoke grain retention....I mean NON retention.

Back