Composite Motor Source in SE Michigan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
Does anyone recommend a local source for single use composite motors in southeastern Michigan? I am finishing up an Estes PSII Argent and the recommended motors need to be shipped HAZMAT if ordered online. I will probably only have one of these (maybe two) rockets built this year so I would only need a few motors. Investing in the reloadable motors doesn't make sense right now either.

It would also be nice to find a shop that carries parts and I like supporting the local guy.

Nope. Your best bet is to go to a JMRC club launch in Jackson and hook up with Miller Motor Works.

Commonwealth Displays (Downriver) was one of the finest brick and mortar rocketry shops in the country, but they closed/sold off a couple years ago.

A local train/RC shop by you may have a dusty old Aerotech motor hanging on a pegboard, but don't count on it. Rocketry is pretty much an online hobby.

Most if not all of the Econo Jet F impulse single use motors ship HAZ free and are available in a variety of flavors. They will work in the Argent, and are a good start to composites. If you like them I'm sure it won't be long before you consider the reloadables.

Does anyone recommend a local source for single use composite motors in southeastern Michigan? I am finishing up an Estes PSII Argent and the recommended motors need to be shipped HAZMAT if ordered online. I will probably only have one of these (maybe two) rockets built this year so I would only need a few motors. Investing in the reloadable motors doesn't make sense right now either.

It would also be nice to find a shop that carries parts and I like supporting the local guy.

There's quite a few single use composites that can be shipped without HAZMAT that would serve your Argent quite well. Off the cuff, any of the EconoJet 29mm F motors come to mind. Using a motor mount adapter, there are some other single use F motors that are 24mm that can ship without HAZMAT as well; the EconoMax F44W's are quite popular. And, there are 3 single use G motors that can ship without HAZMAT. They are AeroTech's "Loadable Motor System", or simply LMS. They're packaged unassembled to avoid HAZMAT and are easy to assemble with only 5 minute epoxy necessary. Here's a list of USPS shippable (no HAZMAT fee) motors: https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/no-hazmat-eligible/

Agreed with a the econojets ect. But if you want a AT vendor in you neck of the woods contact Jay at impulse buys.

Countylinehobbies in NE Indiana (rocket dedicated)

Or PROP SHOP on Van Dyke Warren MI South of 696 (carries EStes mid power and AEROTECH)

Back