Wildman V2 Sport Rocksim and build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markkoelsch

Reaction score
Hello,

I, like many of you, purchased the V2 Sport from the Wildman. I just recently had a chance to pull it out and get started. I thought I would also provide a Rocksim file for it, as that has been lacking.

I know some people seem a little reticent about simulations, or their abilities to create accurate files. This is not the case with me. Many of you might remember me from Rocketry Planet were I was essentially the resident simulation guy in addition to the role I still have as the keeper of the motor files ( I share that with John Coker). So, I will provide an accurate file of the kit for you to use. The initial file will have what I am proposing for parachute and harness. It does not have a launch lug on it yet, nor does it include adhesive and paint mass. All parts measured on my trusty and accurate scale.

The next step will be to modify the file to represent what I actually add in terms of epoxy mass, paint mass, and launch lug. I will also tell you that from my initial look at the file, I believe this rocket will be best served by some additional mass in the nose. I will add these to the file as I go, and add the finished one at the end of the thread.

So, for the obligatory parts shot on my newly built work bench
image2.jpg

Start with bending the motor retaining clip. This took a little patience, a vice, a little persuasion, and about five minutes.
image3.jpg

Then, using some sandpaper and a few minutes I sanded the motor mount tube so I could get the retainer onto it. I then inserted the retaining clip, placed my trusty Dr Rocket 29/180 motor into the motor mount, and marked off the end of the retainer onto the motor mount tube.
image4.jpg

I them pulled off the retainer, wiped off the areas to be bonded with acetone, mixed up a little JB Weld, and put it all back together.
image7.jpg

That is it for tonight folks

Attachments

• V2 Sport.rkt
    82.7 KB · Views: 97
Oh, cool... Haven't seen a full build yet so this will be fun for me to watch.

Tonight I did not have much time. I weighed the retainer and motor mount tube to see how much epoxy that took, and the answer is right about 1 gram.

I did a little sanding of the centering ring to get it to fit within the boat tail and over the motor mount.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426303935.408965.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426303958.763344.jpg

I then did a dry fit of the motor mount, boat tail, and fins. I then needed to stop as I needed to get my daughter to bed. Frankly myself as well as I have been up since about 4:30 am.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426304085.111303.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426304105.174387.jpg

Everything lined up nicely. You may also noticed the nice bevel on the fins. That would be the handy work of Justin Farrand, aka Rfjustin. Justin is a craftsman.

Off to bed, and then to Bong Rec tomorrow. Probably not flying much of anything, but I feel like hanging out.

I have to admit I didn't see that. Great build though!

Not trying to to pull you away from Mark's build, just didn't want mine to go swept under the rug. I am also watching Mark's and I look forward to another build. Carry on, Mark.

Launched mine today on a F29-Imax... Weird chuff on ignition followed by under-powered flight. Did OK with a 5 second delay. I think if the winds were lower it would've been better. Still an OK flight, but I'll definitely reach for a stronger F as a minimum. Next time, I've got a G54 that I'm still waiting to race with Griffin...
Of course, that means I'll have to paint it something other than yellow and black.

At Bong today, right? I was the guy in Tim's trailer offering $5 towards the H400 for use in your V2.

At Bong today, right? I was the guy in Tim's trailer offering $5 towards the H400 for use in your V2.

and I was the guy who was going to throw in 10$ :)

CZTeacherMan- you know you're not going to get out of this one.

Sorry for the delay in the build. I have come down with a nasty cold/cough. Pretty much going to work, coming home, and crashing.

I also discovered that my basement is really cold and epoxy not setting very well. Likely need to rig a heater or composite oven of some sort.

Ok, so nasty cold/cough is officially a sinus infection and bronchitis- yay me. Antibiotics on board.

So, on with the build. Today, I filed a notch in the centering ring for the kevlar shock cord.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426723245.816953.jpg

I then sanded the motor mount, and taped off the area I would be bonding the kevlar to. I then wiped the area down with a rag and acetone. I then laid the Kevlar in place.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426723452.333251.jpg

I then broke out the Aeropoxy, my scale, a small cup, and the official mixing tool aka a Popsicle stick. Mixed a small batch of right about 13 grams. I measure the cup before and after application of epoxy to add the mass to the Rocksim file. I used about 2 grams.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426723618.140529.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426723642.519446.jpg

That is it for tonight. Going to go to sleep.

Ok, feeling a bit better so back at it.

Today, I decided that I like Jason's idea of using the straight edge and clamps for the fins. Seems to fit the KISS principle.

So, to keep things in place while doing this I first tacked the motor retainer to the tail cone with a little CA.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426901443.367201.jpg

I then found a file to use as a straight edge, and found my handy little clamps. I then sanded the fins for bonding purposes. Mixed up a little JB Weld as I do not have any five minute handy. Mixed it up and applied a little to the root edge of each fin. Put the fins in and lined them up to the file. I then pushed them in all the way, and clamped them in place.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1426901735.526698.jpg

Assuming all goes to plan the second pair of fins will go on tomorrow morning.

I did not snap a picture, but I did install the second set of fins this morning.

Tomorrow I will figure if I am doing traditional internal filets or if I just foam the fin can. Leaning towards the foam method now.

I decided to go with the foam in the fin can. So, I broke out the PML foam, and mixed up a batch.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427084742.802902.jpg

I did not fill the entire cavity coming up about a half inch shy. Should not be a problem though. The foam is still expanding a little in the next picture.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427084826.207831.jpg

I did have a little leakage of the foam around the fins, but that is easy to deal with as once it hardens it is easy to cut or sand off. It also shows how tight the slots are on this kit- some of the best I have seen.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427084966.542827.jpg

I then epoxied the centering ring in place.

For those keeping track, the foam added almost exactly 26 grams, and the epoxy on the centering ring was about 2 grams.

Tomorrow night I should have the body tube in place, and possibly the Kevlar harness potted in the nosecone. Before I do that though I will update my Rocksim file to see how much nose weight I want to add for stability purposes.

That is it for tonight folks.

Tonight I mixed up a small batch of Aeropoxy and attached the body tube to the fin can. If took two grams of epoxy for those keeping track.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427247853.287357.jpg

I have started the fin fillets. They are coming in about a gram a piece.

So, I have been adjusting my Rocksim file with the various masses in place. I am thinking something like 4 ounces of ballast in the nosecone. That should get me and keep me in a positive stability margin.

I have also decided to go with a single Acme Conformal Rail lug. Pictures later.

Fin fillets and Acme Conformal Rail lug attached with JB Weld

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427661925.543036.jpg

Last edited:
Back