BMS School Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateer

Reaction score
There are lots of good "educational" rocket kits. I have seen various groups use ones like the wee Estes UP Spaceloft. For a group I worked with, I selected the BMS School Rocket, having already built one just to see how it would go. I wanted a bit of a traditional kit with balsa and individual fins (instead of a premade fin can) to give a little more "craftsmanship" so to speak. Yet the kit is straightforward and easy. It also has a sharp look, and makes a model rocket of a worthy size. The instructions are excellent, though most kids only give it a glance and go. The pre-slotted tube makes attached fins easier and ensure better alignment for a beginner.

We built nine kits with no problems. Eight of the kids attended the local Tripoli launch and flew them with almost no problems. One hit a car under streamer descent, smashing a fin - that's just poor luck. One singed its streamer but there was no damage otherwise and 30" of caution tape later we were back in business. On almost twenty flights, that's relatively trouble free. (I did try to stress proper use of wadding and proper fit of the nose cone!)

All did their first flight on A8-3's and I was quite surprised at the good performance on such a modest impulse. The flights were low, to be sure, but higher than I expected. They actually could have used just a bit more delay - I think the ejection charge time was closer to two seconds rather than three. The beauty of the A8-3 is you can easily view the entire flight process. Most used a B6-4 for their second flight and were suitably impressed. One chose to use a C6-5 and I lost track of the rascal on the way up. Other than a longer walk, no problems.

The rocket's weight for its size is quite light, and I'm sure allowed the good performance on the A8-3.

I am a recent BAR, and while ordering some parts from BMS for kit-bashing and scratch building, I also picked up one of their school rockets just to check it out. I totally agree with your assessment - a great little rocket for $5.25, even more so if you're piggybacking on an order that will get free shipping!

I did rocket building workshops with my sons cubscout den 4 consecutive years. The BMS school rocket was probably my personal favorite. (Although it's a toss-up with the thing-a-ma-jigs we built last September.) The BMS is a nice kit and a good flier, and it's hard to beat the price on a bulk buy. :)

+1 (or more). This is by far my favorite model for working with beginners. I actively fly several myself. It's very reliable even on windy days and performs well. I also like the $1 optional payload section (a three inch piece of BT-50, a stage coupler and a ply disk) for flying various altimeters and such.

I wish Bill would put that payload section option on his web site but right now you have to ask for it in email or by phone.

The Kevlar shock line will burn through somewhere between the 20th and 30th flight, but that's the only negative I have to say about it (and that's a nit, really).

Bill was at NARAM last July and a number of School Rockets turned up in the competitions, fielded by some students from India who were attending. Fun stuff.

(A D10 will put one up to about 1700 feet :) )

Last edited:
$1 optional payload section? Wish I'd known about that when I did the bulk buy last year. Oh well. NEXT TIME! :)

Depending on the age of the young rocketeers, a rocket like the BMS School Rocket or other similar rockets from other companies, are much safer to build because the kids won't have to use plastic model glue or CA to build them. Imagine a bunch of kids sniffing model glue.

I also liked the fact that you don't need plastic cement. Not that it's terrible, but wood glue is just easier and cleaner.

If your really looking for a great flying, easy Streamer Recovery, Balsa and body tube educator Kit. You should check out Pratt Hobbies "Super-6" kits. They are Cheap, super easy to build and Doug Pratt will work with Educators to get the cost and shipping down to whatever is the cheapest way.

Narhams has used his kits for 10 to 50 kid Build sessions for a number of years. Always good, Always on time, Always easy to pay for.

Back