Com Port and PICO AA2 help??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
I have a new Pico AA2 unit and can't connect to my computer.
All my other altimeters connect with out any issues.

I keep getting "Auto COMM port error".

I have installed / uninstalled then, install again without no luck.

Does anyone have any idea why it won't work with the AA2 PICO unit?

JD

I have a new Pico AA2 unit and can't connect to my computer.
All my other altimeters connect with out any issues.

I keep getting "Auto COMM port error".

I have installed / uninstalled then, install again without no luck.

Does anyone have any idea why it won't work with the AA2 PICO unit?

JD

Robert is easily accessible and a great resource for his products. They aren't too common, so his advice is probably best.

I've talked to him and he sent me the latest software.
I just can't anywhere with this thing????

JD

JD, I vaguely remember having similar problems with mine many years ago. When you connect the AA2 to the computer do you know what port it comes up as? Also, do you have the RS232tester.exe?

Are you using a cable you got from Robert? For reasons that aren't clear to me now (might have been that I was too cheap) I have mine connected with a a cable I put together myself. It goes from USB to RS232 serial to a connector that fits on the AA2. I know that it's possible to put that connector on to the altimeter the wrong way because I have labels stuck on it to remind me which way it goes. If that's not the problem, are you connecting the altimeter with the power off then powering it up?

Rob only gave me an adapter for the end of a USB cable. The first one was bad;
He sent me another one.
I can hear the clunk when the computer finds it.
Open up the software then, try to connect, boom Auto Error.

I'm still at a loss as to what is causing this " Auto open COMM port Error"???
It does not happen with any other altimeter that I own.

JD

Are you using a cable you got from Robert? For reasons that aren't clear to me now (might have been that I was too cheap) I have mine connected with a a cable I put together myself. It goes from USB to RS232 serial to a connector that fits on the AA2. I know that it's possible to put that connector on to the altimeter the wrong way because I have labels stuck on it to remind me which way it goes. If that's not the problem, are you connecting the altimeter with the power off then powering it up?

We;re getting way out of my field of expertise here but I seem to remember plugging mine in and then going to device manager to get the comm port number and manually plugging that into the software. Did you do that?

We;re getting way out of my field of expertise here but I seem to remember plugging mine in and then going to device manager to get the comm port number and manually plugging that into the software. Did you do that?

You can do that or you can force the comm port number to a different and lower number. Some of the older Alts I have come across won't work if the Comm Port is above 2 or 4.

Do you have the correct drivers for the usb to serial converter? Because you hear a clunk/beep only means that windows sees a device- it does not mean windows knows what to do with it.

Your computer does not have a real
Rs232 comm port? Many newer machines, specifically laptops do not.

Is Robert still on the road? If he isn't it might be simpler just to ship the altimeter and cable back to him and ask him to test the two together.

Back