clubs in or near toronto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fallingrocket,

I am a member of NAPAS, live uptown TO, and we are always looking for new members, some of us also launch with Garry @ CRC. I am not sure what Garry is up to these days but he loves his rockets and hosts low power launches, great for family events. If you want to know more about NAPAS, which is a Tripoli prefecture, feel free to PM me.

We are in the process of locating a new flying field. We will become fully active in Ontario again as soon as we find a suitable host. Our club embraces low medium & high power rockets. In the meantime to quench our thirst for our hobby alot of us go to Potter Field or Geneseo N.Y. a few times a year.

Glenn Iverson
NAPAS

I looked at the site for the NY launch. I will try to make it at least once.this yr. I am anxiously waiting for the new field to become a reality. I also Have been in contact with Maac to see if any of the fields in this district have groups flying rockets. I havent heard back yet though.

Hi Chris. Glad to see a new club up an running in Ontario. I sent in my application today. I have one question though. It states that the maximum engine size is a 'B'. Is this correct? If so, is this limitation due to field size?

Thanks!

Jamie

Got your application. I will email you more details tomorrow. We are trying to finalize use of a small field for monthly launches that might be limited to low altitude. We have a 100 acre field that could possibly accommodate G's but we can only use it at certain times (it's crop dependant). The field owner is very friendly, though, so if we ask for regular launches, he might be willing. It's a work in progress.

As Glenn said, you are always welcome to come and fly with us in either Geneseo (MARS), or Potter (URRG). You can fly up to M size motors in Geneseo (10,000 ft waiver), or whatever in Potter (almost 25,000 ft waiver). Would love to see more of our Canadian friends "fly South". :wink:

Thanks for that Greg, BTW had a fantastic time at NYPOWER 19 at Geneseo. Great bunch of folks up there.

It appears that the Cambridge Rocket Club (CRC) is about the same distance away as NAPAS. The CRC's web site is off-line, though.
the CRC site went dark as the person taking care of it was not available.

I managed to grab the domain (sheer luck) and will work with the club to put something up for them

We are in the process of locating a new flying field. We will become fully active in Ontario again as soon as we find a suitable host. Our club embraces low medium & high power rockets. In the meantime to quench our thirst for our hobby alot of us go to Potter Field or Geneseo N.Y. a few times a year.

Glenn Iverson
NAPAS

Oh that's what happened, I've been checking out napas.net to see what the launch schedule was this year and have been wondering why nothing has been going up.

Maybe you could put a note on the front page about this, otherwise it looks a little like, to an outsider, that the club has gone inactive.

And I hope the new field, once found, is a little less, um, swampy :)

Yes the napas site is in dire need of an upgrade. I sure hope someone reasonably close finds a field soon. Ive got a strongarm kit dying to be built.I hope to make the treck to a few of the more distant launches a couple times but It would be a drag if i couldnt fly my SA without having to drive 5 or 6 hrs.

Yes we are aware that our website needs some TLC. In the meantime we have started a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/facenapasbook?ref=aymt_homepage_panel (just started) to communicate better the public and eventually use it to help get the word out of exactly what we are looking for in terms of a flying field. Hope to use the Facebook page to create extra sets of eyes out there to help us.

Glenn Iverson
NAPAS

Yes that would be good. Let folks know the requirements for a field. There are tons of farms where I am and even bigger ones when you get more toward coburg./Port hope area. I saw an old thread from someone who was looking into trenton army base. Not sure what became of that. Seems like it would be ideal.

Also a Torontonian here who is really lacking in the launch department. I know CRC is still running over the summer at their fields and I will be doing my best to get out there and join them. Hope to see some of you there in August. Would be great to see more active clubs in the South Ontario region because there's not a lot of area out here to fly, especially in the city.

Also a Torontonian here who is really lacking in the launch department. I know CRC is still running over the summer at their fields and I will be doing my best to get out there and join them. Hope to see some of you there in August. Would be great to see more active clubs in the South Ontario region because there's not a lot of area out here to fly, especially in the city.

Hi Hnefi,

I am a member of NAPAS, we are about to have a meeting to discuss this very topic next week. So if you are looking for HPR then stay tuned. Hopefully as we step up our efforts we will shorten the time-line, at least that is the plan. If you are not a NAPAS member and wish to join, you can also get involved in the launch site effort as it is a club effort open to any member. If you have a lead on a launch site, regardless of your membership status or intentions, we would love to hear from you or anyone else for that matter.

As for CRC, I am not sure what is going on with the club as the website has been down for a bit and I have not heard any news in regards to any intentions. Also CRC launches were not HPR, but rather LPR-MPR. However if you're a HPR flier into MPR and LPR, or have kids, Gary had a great field and his launches made for a very nice family venue.

There is a CRC launch this coming Saturday at the Paisly rd. Guelph launch field. It is an invitational launch so all are welcome.

The last launch was in conjuction with the local Air Cadets, total head count possibly 30 give or take, evenly split. Every one had a great time.

The fellow that took care of the website in the past could not be contacted, though we hope to have the site back at some yet undetermined point. The CRC is doing well otherwise from what I can see.

Richard

There is a CRC launch this coming Saturday at the Paisly rd. Guelph launch field. It is an invitational launch so all are welcome.

The last launch was in conjuction with the local Air Cadets, total head count possibly 30 give or take, evenly split. Every one had a great time.

The fellow that took care of the website in the past could not be contacted, though we hope to have the site back at some yet undetermined point. The CRC is doing well otherwise from what I can see.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Do you know how I can get updates on the CRC launches? I enjoy attending them with my kids but unfortunately this Saturday will not work due to previous engagements. If there was a schedule that allowed me to get more notice then it would make it a bit easier. Glad to see the club is still active, I was wondering what was happening.

Any info is appreciated...thanks.

This year they are generally the second Saturday of the month, but what you really want to do is get on the CRC mailing list for go/nogo info and any other changes that might occur. I'll pm you the address as this is public and Gary might not agree with it being broadcast.

Richard

Last edited:
there is still time to order CTI reloads and ematches. ( low on Estes products)

Hi Angelo

I am interested in the 73F30-6A and 143G33-9A CTI reloads for a special rocket I've built but I don't want to drive to Toronto at this time to get them. Do you have them in stock?

Is this ok to discuss or is this advertising/spam?

Richard

I'm a Torontonian currently in Texas, and would like to be added to whatever distribution list would let me know what's going on in southern Ontario. I was introduced to rocketry down here in Texas, I have no idea how long I'll be down here, and I have no intention of abandoning my new hobby when I eventually get home. I've joined the yahoo group, but there isn't much GTA content.

Hi Hnefi,

I am a member of NAPAS, we are about to have a meeting to discuss this very topic next week. So if you are looking for HPR then stay tuned. Hopefully as we step up our efforts we will shorten the time-line, at least that is the plan. If you are not a NAPAS member and wish to join, you can also get involved in the launch site effort as it is a club effort open to any member. If you have a lead on a launch site, regardless of your membership status or intentions, we would love to hear from you or anyone else for that matter.

As for CRC, I am not sure what is going on with the club as the website has been down for a bit and I have not heard any news in regards to any intentions. Also CRC launches were not HPR, but rather LPR-MPR. However if you're a HPR flier into MPR and LPR, or have kids, Gary had a great field and his launches made for a very nice family venue.
Hey - I am definitely interested in doing some HPR in the future, but right now I am sticking to mid and low power because that's what I'm able to fly at CRC and in parks around my place. But definitely, when NAPAS starts up again I could see myself going for a cert flight.

If you have a mailing list, I can pm you my email. You guys used to fly near Orangeville right?

Back