Weird Road Names

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
There is a road near me called Indian Ripple Road. Sounds like a really bad ice cream flavor to me. And its not some little road with three houses on it; its a major road with a lot of businesses on it.

What weird roads are near you?

We have Turkeyfoot Road locally. We also have Beaver Road, which is the road you take to get to Big Bone Lick State Park.

It's not overly weird but when I drove past it, I thought it was one of the most appropriately named streets I had ever seen.
Rotate the street view of the picture on this site clockwise then zoom in a bit and you'll see why they call it Big Rock Lane.

Last edited:
I have been on Zzyzxx Road.
There is a movie named that, it is said to be the lowest grossing movie ever, $20!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429277/

M
I've seen the entry and believe the $20 gross is appropriate for Zzyzxx Road.

Pulled off at the offramp to see what was it was all about and to be honest there was no "there" there. Just a dirt road leading off into the desert.

I think it used to be called Soda Springs or something similar in the past.

Where I live in Columbia, MD, the city is divided into ten villages, and the street names of each village are named after the works of different poets. They didn't feel the need to even include "road," "street," "avenue," or whatever.

We have a "Halflight Garth" and a "High Tor Hill". There are tons more.

Also, there is a town in MD called "Accident", and another called "Boring."

My sister used to live near Spook Hill Rd in Wappingers Falls, NY. I drive past Gus Grissom Drive, Edward White Drive and Roger Chaffee Drive daily on my way to work (Amherst NY)

We have one, a major one, called "Pie IX" We refer to it as the French do: "PeeNuef" In English, it's Pee Nine, and to me, that's a little obscene!

Its funny to drive around Quebec with your GPS turned on. All the "English" pronunciations of the French streets!!

As bill 101 was coming in in Quebec, a lot of the road signs were in both French & English. And some tourists got really confused, because they crossed over the 'Pont Bridge' to their destination. Then, to get back to where they were, they followed the 'Pont Bridge' signs, only to discover the bridge suddenly looks very different, and that they seem to be getting lost in a new part of town. The bridge wasn't called "Pont'; 'Pont' means bridge in French..

I went to a nice launch in Stagecoach, Nevada, at a playa called Misfits Flat, on Break-A-Heart Road. It is called Misfits Flat as it was used in a 1961 move with Monroe and Gable.

Break-A-Heart-Rd-e1366974067784.jpg

misfits.jpg

marilyn1.jpg

still like Borg rd. I see it every time I go to the Bong :).
Rex

My favorite was just north of Phillie. "Street Road" Just gotta love the creativity.

ever since I was very young this has bothered me, it's like an Abbott and Costello routine

a street_edited-1.jpg

When my wife and I were in the market to buy a house, we went to an open house at an address on Gunshot Court.

Smithtown, LI, NY has Bread and Cheese Hollow Road, I grew up near there.

Legend has it that John Smith obtained the land for Smithtown from the local Indians - they agreed to give him all the land that he could cover in 1 day riding on the back of a bull. He had his lunch of bread and cheese on that road. Most historians also believe that he cheated the Indians by having several look-alikes of himself planted along the route, so as to obtain more than his fair share of land!

To further degrade this thread I submit the following street sign from Shepshed, England. I found this on break.com who got it from who-knows-where but it does have a very reasonable explanation as to the legitimate origin of the name:
Street Sign.jpg

The article states:
The people of Butthole Lane also think the historical significance of the name is worth preserving, which ironically has nothing to do with human butts. A butt was a name for a target for archers and a butthole was basically a bullseye.
It goes on to tell of the residents of South Yorkshire, England's Butt Hole Road paying money to have it renamed Archer Way; at least it's in keeping with the original intent.
The folks in Shepshed vowed never to change theirs even though it gets lots of tourists stopping by for some "side-by-side" pictures; or maybe that's why they don't want to change it. Fortunately, the article doesn't have any of those photos included. :facepalm:

West of Austin, Texas you can take Hillbilly Lane to get to Troll Haven, Leprechaun Drive, Elfland Drive and Pixie Cove.

Back