turn spent single use motor into rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone tried to turn spent single use HPR motors (38mm and above) into smaller mid power or model rockets?

I kept some spent 38mm for couplers / ebays. Most couplers I have are too short for adding electronics. Stuff is kind heavy though.

I'm doing just that with 54mm spent reload case liners, I'll post a pic once I take one of it, the fins are from the darkstar lite kit and for the nose cone I'll be using the spent medusa nozzle. I'm thinking a 24mm MMT will do it, this way I can use Estes motors as well.

I'd rather keep them as souvenirs.
I have a few Vulcan and DPS 38 mm SU motors.
The DPS used AL tubing.

JD

Can you even do that? What is the inside surface of the tube like? How do you remove the aft and forward closures? Where would you find parts like nose cones? The BT would be the ID of a standard BT. In other word, a spent 54 mm tube OD would be the same diameter as the shoulder of a 54mm nosecone.

I'm sure some folks can pull it off, but why?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433114195.141386.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433114207.532366.jpg
This is the 54mm liner case a 4 grain and a 3 grain, the fins are surface mount, still needs the 29mm motor mount

Back