Centering rings what kind do you prefer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of centring rings do you prefer

• Plywood

• Fiberglass

• I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted "Don't Care" but in general, I use cardboard/fiber/balsa for LPR, basswood or plywood for MPR, and Ply or fiberglass for HPR but, my MHR experience is extremely limited (so far).

Whatever is appropriate for the build. I have also occasionally mixed plywood and fiberglass rings on the same rocket.

Can you all see the poll results ?

Yep,,,,,,,,
Ply by a great margin............
In a glass build since the ring is mostly buried in epoxy,,
the only real difference I see is it may be a bit easier to keep straight simply because it's thicker....

Teddy

I don't care much...it all works. Sizes of both ply and FG can be adjusted quickly and precisely on the lathe so no preference there. Similar time for me to make custom rings of either material, though I imagine Tim is really taking our temperature on reverting to ply in his kits.

It depends on the application for me. In general, I prefer fiberglass rings with fiberglass tubes. The rail guides get placed where I want them regardless of centering rings.
-Ken

I like the thicker plywood rings. They seem easier to keep "square" and I feel like the epoxy "soaks" into the material.

+1. Thick plywood for me, please. I prefer NOT to screw buttons into the ring, though, as I fear splitting the laminate. I add hardwood blocks for button screws. (wood to wood joint stronger than the wood itself.) Also, wood aft ring takes fasteners for Aero Pack retainer body better/easier than glass.

However, I do prefer glass for bulkheads. Easier to clean off the BP residue after flight.

Sather

Last edited:
Honestly, it doesn't matter. Whatever is cheaper and easier to produce, go with it. We've all flown a ton. How many of us have blown out a wood CR on a kit? They are certainly strong enough for the application, and in most shouldn't be seeing that much stress anyways. The benefits are that they're cheaper, easier to shape and sand, able to accept rail buttons, and take epoxy well.

If you are worried about cleaning off BP residue, coat the CR with epoxy.

I'm happy with either, but if you go with plywood, please make them concentric. I've bought ply rings that appear to have been cut with a holesaw and they are awful.

Back