Centering rings what kind do you prefer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of centring rings do you prefer

• Plywood

• Fiberglass

• I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
I prefer wood but have never had a problem with fiberglass, just can't sink rail buttons into them.

I'm fine with either I suppose.

But if I had a choice - plywood for paper airframes, glass for glass airframes, either/or for BlueTube and such.

s6

Better fit is always key.
I can cut Plywood CR's up to 6" on my own so.
If a kit has G10 CR's I tend to back them up with one or two plywood.

JD

I chose plywood because i usually fabricate my own with mid power rockets I design. Since I am more the low power builder, I go for the black Letramax CR's as they seem to have gripping strength that the old card stock rings lack.

I can go either way, but accuracy is key. If I have to modify them I certainly prefer wood.

I like the thicker plywood rings. They seem easier to keep "square" and I feel like the epoxy "soaks" into the material.

Much prefer ply--easier to get a snug but not too tight fit, easier to sink rail buttons into, easier to screw motor retainers into and just easier to work with overall. I'd reserve G10 centering rings for only the most demanding needs, or just use thicker ply.

The plywood seems to square up to the tube and the thickness helps keep the ring stationary while the epoxy is curing.

Also lately have been using plywood crs in nosecones with non removable shoulders so the area remains accessible in the future. The thicker cr allows me to take homestore t-nuts and sink them into the cr eliminating another thing to drop lose or need in the field.

Bulkheads FG all the way ! No burn and strong !

Kenny

All depends on the power range expected vs. diameter difference between the motor tube and outer skin. More expected power, thicker ring or more substantial. Large diameter difference the same applies. I have rockets in BT55 and BT60 intended to be powered by a CTI F240 and they have SEMROC paper rings with Gorilla Wood Glue, not the poly-type. I have no doubts the motor mounts aren't going anywhere.

I like ply rings for larger rockets but even then best I've found are the balsa-ply versions, much stronger than balsa alone and while not as strong as birch most of the time birch is overkill. Epoxy soaked balsa-ply is incredibly strong.

I usually use glass rings
but I build with glass....
I can see the ply having advantages though.....
I don't think the ring material is that critical.....

Teddy

Cardboard that I can glue in with carpenters glue (yellow glue).... <I'm a Low Power fanatic!>:rolleyes::

I personally prefer plywood over fiberglass for all rings.
They hold glue better .

Agree! Plywood is also easier to work with and more versatile (rail buttons, motor retention inserts). I sometimes laminate the plywood with a G10 CR if it came with the kit, and I feel the need for extra strength or protection from exhaust. I also frequently laminate plywood CRs with a layer or two of 4 oz glass. I would be happy if kits came with plywood CRs instead of G10.

NikeMikey

I voted it doesn't matter but I'm leaning towards FG. Most of my stuff is scratch built so everything is custom. I find that foam covered with glass is easier to work with especially if I have to turn out a bunch of different ones----IMG_20150304_140431.jpg

Back