MAC Performance 3in. HV ARCAS - Canvas Composite Tubing, Precision Manufacturing...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to say Mike(Mac Performance Rocketry) is a top notch guy, very pleasant to talk to. I am happy to say that I will have this kit very soon and just might be his first paying customer. I want to wish him best of luck.

Just received my kit in the mail and can not wait to start the build. Dan did you get further along with this build?

Last edited:
As bad CATO luck would have it, I am in the market for a 3" rocket. Is this one for sale now?

Just received my kit in the mail and can not wait to start the build. Dan did you get further along with this build?

Hi Rafael,

Glad to hear you got your kit, I'm sure that MAC Performance would appreciate any feedback you want to give on the forum!

I did wind up epoxying the aft centering ring onto the rocket and JB-Welding the Aeropack to the motor tube. The two major steps that need to be completed before its first flight on 4/11 are turning ejection charge canisters and a centering ring / cap assembly for the payload bay I intend to put into the nosecone for GPS tracking. After that, the rocket is structurally complete and ready for flight, less paint.

Oh, and I need to square the 54/700 case and cut a snap ring groove as well. First flight will be on an Everclear load for that case, estimating it to be a baby J225.

Personally - I plan to give Patel a swift kick for bringing this to my attention. I need another rocket like I need...

Damn I need this thing!

Crappy plastic charge holders finished. I just got antsy to make something, so I whittled this out in 15 minutes. I will ultimately replace with aluminum.

Canisters hold 2.5g of BP and an ematch.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427818715.600262.jpg

The ematch is installed with the head at the bottom, and then taped to the side.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427818776.985540.jpg

2g of BP is poured in:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427818861.943129.jpg

Add a little paper towel to fill the remainder of the void:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427818946.602915.jpg

And finally cap it with a vinyl cap from McMaster! It's that easy to prep an ejection charge.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427818990.488764.jpg

(I also strongly recommend wiring the ematch to your altimeter.)

Dan do you think it will take 2g of bp to separate the tubes because I ordered the 1.5 from Doghouse, wondering if I should have bought the bigger ones.

Dan do you think it will take 2g of bp to separate the tubes because I ordered the 1.5 from Doghouse, wondering if I should have bought the bigger ones.

I enjoy having the extra room. I'm also a graduate of "Blow it Out or Blow it Up" University. I will likely use 2g for main, 2-2.5g for apogee as the cavity is a little larger.

Dan, I always use dog barf for compaction. Isn't there a risk of the paper towel catching on fire?

Dan, I always use dog barf for compaction. Isn't there a risk of the paper towel catching on fire?

Sure, it's about the size of a quarter. Maybe I'm negligent, but it's pretty low on my scale of "risk" and it hasn't been an issue over 10 years and at least 150 flights. Dog barf will be sufficient.

Very nice site. After I skimp and save, I will be a customer.

I use the 1.5 g from Doghose on my DS3. Seemed like the charge wasnt pulling the drogue all the way out.

So next time on the same well i 'topped it off' and drougue came out reliably. When i refilled and poured into my measure vial ..it was literally 2g.

When i topped off ..i utilized a bit of dog barf above and taped over then around the well to secure the eMatch also.

Kenny

VERY nice website. I will be a customer when something with a smaller motor mount comes out. Super nice looking kits that will no doubt be very popular. Please get a 38mm motored shortish 3" kit out soon!

VERY nice website. I will be a customer when something with a smaller motor mount comes out. Super nice looking kits that will no doubt be very popular. Please get a 38mm motored shortish 3" kit out soon!

Just put a 38mm to 54mm adapter in it!

Welp, she's finished! I'm a little bummed that my red paint doesn't remotely match the red decals, but I'm okay with the look. Here's the 3 pics before I remembered that I had a data plate to add (I have some Testors paint on the way to fix the clipped decals at the booster/payload junction):

cagGWn8.jpg

xyK1yHU.jpg

EdY0ZAI.jpg

Lastly...here's the pic with the data plate!

hytLoeo.png

Hoping that I can get out to fly it this weekend on a 38/3G or 4G Plain Jane...Expecting 1800-2500' depending on motor. Altimeter will be an AltAcc-2C and the main chute will be a 36" Skyangle. Motor retention and adapter by Aeropack. Shock cords and protectors by MAC Performance, chute protectors by Rocketry Warehouse.

The ARCAS flew today! I brought it out to fly with the boys and girls of CTRA in Cobleskill, NY, home of Mike from MAC Performance himself!

I got the seal of approval from Mike then flew the ARCAS for the first flight of the day on a 38-4G Plain Jane I323. The rocket boosted quickly and coasted nicely to 1,802', where the AltAcc2C popped the apogee charge. The two parts separated, separated some more, and more...because I forgot the quick link...welcome to the 2015 flying season!

The booster flat spun in with incredibly minimal damage. The tube smacked a pointed rock and ever so slightly dinged the tube...not bad considering the fact it hit a pointy rock. All it will require is a coupler to back it up and it's good, it otherwise feels completely rigid. What a bummer!

Here's the GoPro boost pic:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1431203463.270043.jpg

And a pic of the damage...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1431203487.525653.jpg

Sigh. The next flight will be better...

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but glad to see that the rocket fared well despite it!

How heavy did it end up? I'm considering buying the ARCAS for my L2, but I would need to stay under our 5,000' waiver and with the weight (49 oz) listed on the website a small J would put it a bit too close for comfort to the waiver. However, if you only got 1,800' on a 38-4G that means you were probably closer to ~5 lbs in which case I should have plenty of margin.

Awesome build by the way! :D

The rocket weighed 7.7# loaded with a 36" Skyangle main, GPS in cone, and the 38-4G. The case is a thick wall case and had a nice big 1/2-13 bolt in the top.

I also foamed the fin can, so there's some weight to be saved. It's almost half the weight of my Intimidator 3, which is more like 13# loaded.

Buy it, you won't regret it!

Back