MAC Performance 3in. HV ARCAS - Canvas Composite Tubing, Precision Manufacturing...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
Alright guys...as teased here, I have received my "Beta" kit from MAC Performance. After meeting with the owner, Mike, he showed me the new tubing, centering rings, fins, etc. I then left with my very own 3" HV ARCAS, the first complete kit off the line! Boy is it impressive...

First off, let's get to know the tubing. As teased, the tubing is known as Canvas Composite. The tube itself is "standard thickness," meaning it fits other brands of 3" nosecones. The tubing is approximately half the weight of it's comparable thickness fiberglass cousin, which I will confirm for myself when I get the chance to weigh it out and will document here for your digestion. The tube has a very slight flex when squeezed by hand (equal in magnitude to the new "thin wall" fiberglass) and is incredibly strong. The OD has a slight grit to it (maybe like 400-600 grit sandpaper?) and no spirals, so minimal primer will be required to get a glass smooth finish. The motor mount is kraft phenolic, as it's going where the spirals can be hidden!

Secondly, let's talk manufacturing quality. Fins, centering rings, and bulkheads are all CNC cut. No tabs are present from the CNC process, the CR's slip perfectly onto the motor mount and perfectly into the body tube. The bulkheads and aft centering ring are stepped and fit perfectly into their respective tubes. The coupler is sized slightly large and then custom machined to perfectly fit inside of the body tubes. The fins are 1/8" G10, again without any evidence of CNC, and fit perfectly into the slots. The nosecone is of the "Pinnacle" style with a long shoulder. All necessary hardware is there, including all-thread for the altimeter bay, eyebolts, nuts, washers, and a roll pin for the shock cord mount. To give you an idea of the quality, it took me less than one minute to take the parts out of the bag and put it together for the test fit pictures you'll see later. More on that later...

Do you see a theme in this paragraph? It should be perfectly obvious.

Okay, enough about that worthless "quality" stuff. None of you care about that, right?

First up is a view of what's included in the kit:

Arcas1.jpg

1 - 32" x 3"Main Body Tube
1 - 22" x 3" Payload Tube
1 - Pinnacle Nose Cone
1 - Shock Cord anchor (9/16" TN, professionally sewn loops)
4 - 1/8" G10 fins, ARCAS shape
1 - 3/8" thick fore CR with shock cord anchor machined in
1 - 1/4" thick mid CR
1 - 3/8" thick aft CR with step machined in to act as a thrust plate
2 - 3/8" thick altimeter bay bulkheads with steps to engage coupler, 3x 1/4" holes with 2" spacing for the all thread
3 - 1/4-20 Eyebolts
10 - 1/4-20 Nuts
10 - 1/4-20 Washers
1 - Shock Cord anchor roll pin
2 - 1/4-20 aluminum all-thread rods for the altimeter coupler
2 - 1/4-20 wing nuts for the altimeter bay
1 - 3" x 1" Switch band
1 - 8" long coupler

Also included:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1425841932.813660.jpg

2x Av Bay brackets
1x 2.625" by 6" sled, 1/16" thick phenolic

Last edited:
First up are the "interesting" bulkheads and centering rings. Clockwise from the top right:

3/8" thick fore CR with the shock cord anchor milled into it
3/8" thick aft CR stepped to act as a thrust plate
Bottom 2 are the two altimeter bay bulkheads, stepped to engage the coupler and seal off from ejection gases.

Arcas2.jpg

Further detail of the shock cord anchor assembled with the roll pin. This is the underside that gets encased with a little epoxy. I've been told that the body tube and/or motor mount tube or glue joint will fail before the pin pulls through. Also note the awesome stitching.

Arcas3.jpg

Top side of the mount. Add a little epoxy here to seal and you're good to go.

Arcas4.jpg

Up close and personal on the nosecone to body tube joint. As I touted before...no wonky cuts. Personal attention is paid to each tube end, as it should be.

Arcas5.jpg

View of the thrust plate and a fin slot. I will be using an Aeropack, so the thrust will be transferred through the centering rings and through this plate into the tube.

Arcas6.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, take a look at this picture, think about the last time that you tried to put fins into a body tube directly out of the box, now look at this picture again. Then read what I say after the picture.

Arcas7.jpg

There is no glue in this picture. This picture took less than 60 seconds to stage. Yes, right out of the bag the fins slipped perfectly into the slots with such precision that they support the weight of the tube, motor mount, and CR's. Length is spot on and will not require filling. Simply amazing.

*DISCLAIMER* - My kit doesn't have beveled fins. Yours will.

Last edited:
Full mock up of the rocket. Again...no glue, no sanding, no shimming, just quality.

Arcas8.jpg

Here's picture of the shock cord leader sticking out of the tube. Perfect length, awesome stitching.

Arcas9.jpg

That's it for pictures tonight (unless little Ryan gets me up in the middle of the night and I get a pang of motivation, or if someone sends money to my PayPal...).

Dan,

What is the root length of the fin please?

Cost of said kit, where to buy?

Fin root is ~6.75".

Cost is TBD and they will be available through his website in time. I'm not privy to that information, I'm just a monkey with thumbs that uses an iPhone to post pictures to TRF. :)

This is cool. Probably way out of my budget, but hey, a guy can dream! :p

making one perfect is easy, it will be interesting to see how he deals with tolerances from lot to lot. It does look like a nice kit, I think I need one.

Can they make Motor liners?

JD

I have asked and pleaded! Truth of the matter is that the market just isn't the same as kits. You know the points that Scott K. from Loki has made, and they are all deterrents from stocking motor liners.

making one perfect is easy, it will be interesting to see how he deals with tolerances from lot to lot. It does look like a nice kit, I think I need one.

He did nothing special...as stated he's very detail oriented and will make sure each kit reflects that.

So did you weigh it yet?
We all know that that is what people here care about first and foremost.

Looks like I will be getting my first ARCAS kit, when they come out of course, as I am really impressed with the quality of what I am seeing.

I want one! Any idea of the cost?

As I said before, cost is TBD. I am not involved in the business at all, just here to spread the good word.

Rough night with the chillun, so a slow start to today. I actually neglected to include a part of the kit, which I will update at some point today.

Did I mention the allthread is aluminum?

Very interesting shock cord mount. I like it.

I'm looking at my 54/1706 in a manner that makes it nervous....

What really makes the look of an ARCAS for me is its boat tail. Yes, I realize a HV ARCAS doesn't have one. How about a 3" regular ARCAS?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm getting a lot of repeat questions. No price yet, and no website yet. I'm not affiliated, so I don't know when either will be available.

Hey guys, I'm getting a lot of repeat questions. No price yet, and no website yet. I'm not affiliated, so I don't know when either will be available.

Do you know prices, or if there is a website? When will they be available?

s6

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1425841932.813660.jpg

There was some confusion, but the altimeter sled and brackets are included in the base kit! This sled is 5" long, but the kit will ship with a 2.625"x 6" sled.

Mike tossed in a couple examples of his sewing work as well. You'll be able to buy 9/16" TN cords and nomex sleeves from his website as well! The cords and sleeves are not part of the base kit.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1425842038.735398.jpg

Last edited:
Truly awesome. Any idea what other kits will be available? A 54/38mm kit like this would be nice. What glue do you plan to use?

How much does it cost to weigh it? Before I had a Scale of my own I used to take my Rockets to the Deli.

Back