What does everyone drive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you pulled up at the Silverton launch I thought it was pretty amazing you were still driving the Exploder. How you manage to only put 3000 miles a year on it is beyond me...

Since I live in the middle of town, I walk everywhere. I only use it to drive my orders to the post office. And one launch a year. It could probably use a paint job soon. No plans to ever get rid of it, at least until self driving all electric cars become the norm.

Since I live in the middle of town, I walk everywhere. I only use it to drive my orders to the post office. And one launch a year. It could probably use a paint job soon. No plans to ever get rid of it, at least until self driving all electric cars become the norm.
Well, you can at least take comfort in that these things are pretty durable. I'm closing in on 350,000 miles on my '98, which hauls its share of rockets too.

This is my daily commuter (got pulled over for speeding)
gotham-garages-speed-racer-mach-5-replica-05.jpg

.. And I drive this to launches. Lotsa room for rockets
oscar_mayer_5.jpg

I'm trying to get one of these...

bsg_viper_01-580-x-435.jpg

Well, you can at least take comfort in that these things are pretty durable. I'm closing in on 350,000 miles on my '98, which hauls its share of rockets too.

Good to know. Even if I were a multi-millionaire I'd still drive it. I live a simple life. #stoicphilosophy

I'm trying to get one of these...

bsg_viper_01-580-x-435.jpg

There is a guy around here that built one based on a postal vehicle chassis years ago. His son had more recently brought it out to some cruise nights a few years ago, but I haven't seen it around recently. My father always refers to it as the "X-Wing fighter car", but I don't think he ever saw an episode of BSG...

2013 Tacoma, lifted 3 inches. Gets me into and out of anywhere I want to go. Since I spend a lot of time on back country mud soaked logging roads chasing woodland critters in the fall, the ability to self rescue is important.

Just sold my BMW 550i. Now driving a 2016 Honda Accord. :) Something to be said for reliability

That is a severely cool pic,,,
what are the years of the 2 of them...
See how the newer nose is reminiscent of the older nose...
Super cool pic....
I'd bet Jeep would be interested in that pic....
Teddy

Actually they are both JKs, mine is the red 2014 and I'm guessing the white one is a 2010-2012. The reason they look different is because we both have a lot of aftermarket parts on the front including bumpers, lights, winch, and fenders. If they were both still stock they would look almost identical.

Actually they are both JKs, mine is the red 2014 and I'm guessing the white one is a 2010-2012. The reason they look different is because we both have a lot of aftermarket parts on the front including bumpers, lights, winch, and fenders. If they were both still stock they would look almost identical.

Ohhh,, OK..
I thought they were quite a few years apart...
Still super cool though Jeff...

Teddy

You're not kiddin "Nice "D"'....
Glenn,,
Tell me that P51 is your lawn ornament,, lol..

Teddy

Oh, I wish it was my P-51, but, no. It's one of many military vehicles on display at a restaurant here call the 57th Fighter Group. It's nestled right up next to runway 3L/21R at PDK airport. It's easily one of my favorite places to eat around here even though the food, though good, isn't anything particularly special. I just like watching the planes taking off and landing while I eat.

Oh, I wish it was my P-51, but, no. It's one of many military vehicles on display at a restaurant here call the 57th Fighter Group. It's nestled right up next to runway 3L/21R at PDK airport. It's easily one of my favorite places to eat around here even though the food, though good, isn't anything particularly special. I just like watching the planes taking off and landing while I eat.

Me too...
I've always been wowed by the wonder of flight...
Years ago we used to go watch the planes land....

Teddy

Me too...
I've always been wowed by the wonder of flight...
Years ago we used to go watch the planes land....

Teddy

I work right next to our county airport. I have to drive around the end of the runway everyday. There is something that is really cool about going right under a jet on final approach, with the top down, and being able to look right up at it. Or better yet, like today, riding my bike right past with a 737 passing over my head...

I work right next to our county airport. I have to drive around the end of the runway everyday. There is something that is really cool about going right under a jet on final approach, with the top down, and being able to look right up at it. Or better yet, like today, riding my bike right past with a 737 passing over my head...

That's super cool Rick,,,
I'm just in awe knowing how heavy that thing is,,
but if all is balanced well,, it sure does fly well,, lol..

Teddy

You can sit on top of my house and take tire pressure readings from the jets landing at NAS Oceana!

My daily driver to work is a 2008 Toyota Avalon.
I've had sportier stuff in my batchelor days...RX-7.

But this is by far the nicest car I've ever owned.
Corners like a race car, very smooth ride, it is at home going fast - doesn't even begin to shimmy or vibrate the slightest bit until you go over 85.....which has got me into trouble more than once.
This Avalon is reliable, comfortable, the AC is fantastic, and the stereo is the best I've ever heard, and I've had custom stuff installed back in the day.
The surround sound always gets comments and the bass and midrange are better than my computer stereo MP3 setup.

My vehicle for launches is a Subaru Outback which I prepped for surf fishing on the Outer Banks.
Getting a rod rack on that curved front with so few hard points was a design challenge.............

DSCN1968.jpg

DSCN4266.jpg

Last edited:
My rocket "dream machine" is a new Mercedes Sprinter 3500 4x4 cargo van (170" extended w/ high roof) customized to bejeebus. The rear would be a complete rocket build/repair/prep shop with a small area up near the bulkhead with a recliner, refridgerator & microwave. Unfortunately I'll need a winning lottery ticket to get it considering the purchase price of the just vehicle would be over $60k. I'm not sure what the cabinets, extra A/C unit, generator & wiring, etc....would cost, but I'm guessing over $10k.

DreamMachine.jpg

Last edited:
'99 GMC Sierra Z71 with over 270K miles on it. Bought it used in 2000 with 25K on it. I used to work construction all over the US and drove it everywhere. It's seen probably 24 or so states. I still drive it almost everyday. Heater doesn't work so it is a cold ride on those early morning duck hunts. Gas hog but runs great, well except for the occasional sputter from a weak fuel pump. I take it to the beach regularly, hasn't made it to a launch yet, but will make the next one probably.

Also have an '01 Honda Civic POS. Leaks oil, no A/C, electrical problems, drains battery, headliner falling down, passenger window doesn't roll down (most of the time), tranny went out the first day we brought it home. Can't break em my tail. I still has pep though, until it starts sputtering. Only has 175K on it, very disappointed with Honda!

Just added a 2016 Kia Sorento to the fleet. I love the thing. I wish Kia made a small truck like thing like the Honda Ridgeline.

I was up for a new truck. Was leaning toward an Avalanche. But the baby pretty much overruled that. Needed a cheap, roomy, efficient vehicle.

Just sold the BMW 550i and got a Honda Accord (manual). Having two 5,000 dollar repairs bills and another looming... I've decided after owning one of every generation of 5 series since the E12 to give Honda a shot.IMG_4992.jpg

I'm fortunate to have a company car. For a long time it was a Toyota Corolla. Someone left the company so I got his Chevy Cruze. It's almost ready to be returned and the next one will likely be a Nissan Sentra.

However, my rocket and trailer hauler is a recently acquired 2016 F-150 crew cab with mid range goodies and 4x4 + off road and extra towing stuff. I love this truck. Don't let anyone kid you though, they really suck the gas. "Ecoboost" 3.5L V6 is a great engine but it gets thirsty fast. When towing, well it really chugs the fuel.

I just heard that LDRS is going to be at MDRA in 2017. My wife and I would love to drive across Canada and the U.S.A. to get there. Just hatching the plan but it might be impossible to get enough time off work.
(Sorry to go OT and talk about rockets) :wink:

Back