Another new guy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revs

Reaction score
Figured since all the other forums I've been part of have asked for introduction threads, may as well do one here, as well. My name is Chris and I want to get back into rocketry with my sons. Been almost 30 years since my last launch and I never found that one again. Figure the D was a bit large for the first flight. But it made an impressive launch and smoke trail.

We we recently moved to central Nevada and I figure the desert will make a great place to launch rockets. Well, unless the UFOs fly by. Have been reading up online about the different rockets and the various engines available to buy and make yourself. Is there a place here that lists all the online suppliers of kits?

Would love to find a rocket club in the area but Google says there aren't any close by. It's odd because the local grocery store carries a few Estes kits and engines.

Thanks all all and I hope to learn a lot about an old hobby I had in scouts.

Revs

Welcome!
Glad you want to pay forward and get your sons involved.
Make sure you get some pictures and post them.

This thread has a list various vendors. They are all top notch and provide many options - enjoy!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?69791-I-m-curious

I did notice this contains mostly manufacturers and misses some very fine distributors, although several manufacturers sell direct or have links to distributors

Last edited:
here are four NAR Section in your state.
Northern Nevada – Western Region (NNWR) #728
Jody Cram
4711 W Creek Ridge Trail Reno, NV 89519
(512) 554-8842

Visit Website »

See Details »
Rocketry Organization of Northern Nevada (ROCKONN) #735
Wayne Hubbard
2171 Mel DrGardnerville, NV 89410
(775) 901-1834

Visit Website »

See Details »
Smith Valley Model Rocket Association (SVMRA) #731
James Lovett
PO Box 437, Wellington, NV 89444
(775) 220-3044

See Details »
Southern Nevada Rocketry (SNVR) #741
Curt Beasley
3001 Margarita AvePahrump, NV 89048
(702) 354-7911

Hi Chris! Welcome to the forum. There is a ton of great info in here and a lot of people willing to help.

There are also lots of great vendors and distributors. For a one-stop shop, https://www.apogeerockets.com/ is hard to beat. Lots of good how-to videos and newsletters, so a good source for getting back up to speed on rocketry, especially since it will be a family thing.

Ed

You will discover that there are more ways to spend money on this hobby than you ever could have imagined. But it's all fun!

Welcome aboard.

Chris- welcome to the home of instigators and enablers! Let me be the first to invite your to Springfest, held on Jean Lake just south of Vegas (see the thread). Tripoli Las Vegas hosts the show and what a show it is! Don't let the "High Power' designation fool ya! We're all rocketeers at heart and it doesn't matter if it's a 1/2A or an "O" motor (as in "OMG! Does your wife know how much you spent on that?") Balsa Machining just moved to Pahrump with every size of tube you could want and the service is excellent! A bunch has changed (mostly for the better) in the last 30 years (where does the time go?) so don't be afraid to ask questions. As usual, expect some wildly different answers and opinions, but hey!, it's what makes this forum unique. We're all mostly harmless!

Welcome. I just got into rocketry for the first time about 8 months ago, and this forum has been terribly helpful to me. In addition, there are great books and a lot of great online resources.

After building one or two kits, I broadened my knowledge by reading The Handbook of Model Rocketry by Bill Stine and G. Harry Stine. Then I found tons of downloadable PDF files on rocketry here and there (I wish I knew where I found everything), including lots of classic Estes and Centuri manuals, and of course Apogee Components newsletters.

Then I found this site, and it's been a great resource, since I can ask questions of real live rocketeers if there's something in one of the books I don't quite understand. There's also the National Association of Rockety Facebook group, which can be helpful, and which is a really encouraging atmosphere.

So there's lots of info at your disposal. Good luck!

Welcome aboard. Great bunch of guys and gals here. I know what you mean about the UFO's. Those darn black triangles keep pestering us here in Tx.----H

Welcome back!!

Hopefully in Nevada finding decent places to fly shouldn't be the PITA it frequently can be for many of us back East where vacant lots are fast vanishing.

Others have pointed you towards some active rocketry groups in the state. Be aware also that NARAM-57, the annual national meeting/competition of the NAR, will be held in Tucson, AZ in late July, which might be an interesting trip for you and your sons.

In any case, have fun!!

Got busy with family and exploring some of the area close. Need to wait for the paychecks to start rolling in again before we get too involved with rocketry. The new job was postponed a month on me.

But, daughter and her fiancée sound interested in participating in rockets, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got busy with family and exploring some of the area close. Need to wait for the paychecks to start rolling in again before we get too involved with rocketry. The new job was postponed a month on me.

But, daughter and her fiancée sound interested in participating in rockets, as well.

No problems, we'll still be here :) If it wasn't for the dang price of the motors more would fly more often, making up in sales what's lost in lower pricing...well....that's how it's supposed to work....sorta... ;)

There's always paper rockets, section around here somewhere with downloads. At least you can do a little to enlarge the fleet even if you don't fly. With me it's more of a building thing. I have so many I haven't flown...

I'll have to look for the paper rocket section. Son would love doing those. He gets a kick out of making stuff with paper.

Yeah, I was going to recommend going to www.NAR.org and using their club locator option to search in Nevada or neighboring states for a club near you... but then I see someone has already done this and come up with at least four club entries for you.
Welcome and good luck, Mr. BAR...:wink:

Back