1/4 Scale Nike Hydac

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketjet787

Reaction score
This is going to be a 1/4 scale Nike Hydac sounding rocket. This was one of the sounding rockets produced by the Nike project, that was designed to be a missile defense system. It is capable of flying with he Nike booster (but I have no plans to scale one of those down).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike-Hydacc
hydac.jpg
Height:87 inches
Diameter:4 inches
Motor mount:54mm

This will be dual deploy with a Stratologger CF, and a Telemini for electronics. I will also be putting tracking in here to keep visual on it.

Does anybody have suggestions for parachute size? The LOC tubes will be reinforced with 3oz fiberglass.

The first set of parts are ordered and on their way.:D
View attachment nike hydac.ork

Due to some issues that came up I was unable to keep this going as a build thread. I have a few pictures of the process if anyone is interested. The rocket is complete and just going through paint. Does anybody know how to delete a thread? I would like to delete this but can't figure out how.

Ok so here are some of the pictures I found.
20150710_112145_resized.jpg20150714_211158_resized.jpg20150711_182121_resized.jpg

These are of the electronics. One Stratologger CF (primary) and one Easymini (backup). I am beginning to become a huge fan of Altus Metrum there products are very user friendly and wonderful to work with. This is also the sled they will get mounted to tomorrow.

20150714_211652_resized.jpg20150714_211711_resized.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the ave bay, it is slightly overbuilt but it will do the trick :cool:

20150630_180046_resized_1.jpg

This is a picture of it getting ready to head off to paint. Standing at just over 7 feet tall this is the biggest rocket I have built. I am hoping to launch it at BALLS on a K250 to almost 10,000 feet. That will only happen if I can get a test flight in first.:bangpan:

Curious. If there's no Nike booster, wouldn't it be simply a Hydac?

Ok so here are some of the pictures I found.
View attachment 267655View attachment 267657View attachment 267656

These are of the electronics. One Stratologger CF (primary) and one Easymini (backup). I am beginning to become a huge fan of Altus Metrum there products are very user friendly and wonderful to work with. This is also the sled they will get mounted to tomorrow.

View attachment 267658View attachment 267659

Here are a couple of shots of the ave bay, it is slightly overbuilt but it will do the trick :cool:

View attachment 267654

This is a picture of it getting ready to head off to paint. Standing at just over 7 feet tall this is the biggest rocket I have built. I am hoping to launch it at BALLS on a K250 to almost 10,000 feet. That will only happen if I can get a test flight in first.:bangpan:

Very cool looking rocket, and a good looking AV bay. What charge wells are you using?

Very cool looking rocket, and a good looking AV bay. What charge wells are you using?

They are from Pill fob key chains:

41hW6yl5NsL._SX300_.jpg

Back