CTI ProDAT modification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Yes, I'm anal. Now that we've got that out of the way...

It's always bugged me that the selections on the ProDAT are so limited. You can reduce the delay by -3, -5, -7, or -9 seconds. Off and on, I've tried to think of a way to modify it, like I did with a 1/32" thick washer for my Aerotech delay drills. Now that I'm planning on flying my first high power cluster, I really wanted to be able to drill the two delays a second apart. I know the chances are very slim that the two charges would go off simultaneously and possibly damage the rocket, but still. It bugged me.

This is what I came up with. I designed a spacer that would fit inside the body of the ProDAT. I printed it out on a label, and stuck it to a piece of 0.032" thick aluminum. While the piece of aluminum was still big, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the spacer. I used a sacrificial piece of 1/4" plywood as a "zero clearance" device for the cutting of the spacer.

ProDAT_030415_01.jpg

ProDAT_030415_02.jpg

ProDAT_030415_03.jpg

ProDAT_030415_04.jpg

ProDAT_030415_05.jpg

Very, VERY carefully, I cut out the spacer with the bandsaw. Yes, it was scary cutting such a small, relatively intricate piece with such a big saw. But I was successful. I did the final shaping of the spacer with a 1" stationary sander.

ProDAT_030415_06.jpg

ProDAT_030415_07.jpg

ProDAT_030415_08.jpg

ProDAT_030415_09.jpg

ProDAT_030415_10.jpg

ProDAT_030415_11.jpg

I refined the shape of the spacer with the sander until it fit into the ProDAT body. I also sanded the "flash" off the back of the spacer to make sure it was a uniform thickness. I think it'll work! Now I have selections of -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, -7, -8, and -9 seconds. I can drill the two delays for my cluster one second apart.

I wonder what I'll obsess about next...

ProDAT_030415_12.jpg

ProDAT_030415_13.jpg

ProDAT_030415_14.jpg

ProDAT_030415_15.jpg

ProDAT_030415_16.jpg

ProDAT_030415_17.jpg

As soon as I get a laser cutter or a Flow Jet, I'll make one for everybody!

I knew you'd be impressed.
Shaking my head because "it was scary cutting such a small, relatively intricate piece with such a big saw" was your better judgement calling attention to your band saw guides being set so high for a thin piece of sheet metal. :y:

Nag, nag, nag. :rolleyes:

Yes, it works. So would have a drill bit alone. Just measure the hole by 32nds until your desired delay. I do it consistently successfully. A whole lot easier!

Shaking my head because "it was scary cutting such a small, relatively intricate piece with such a big saw" was your better judgement calling attention to your band saw guides being set so high for a thin piece of sheet metal. :y:

Nag, nag, nag. :rolleyes:

Hey, if the guide is too low, it would block my view of the tiny little piece of metal.

totally makes sense to me. Yes- Mom had me tested.....

My mom never had me tested. I had to discover my issues on my own.

Yes, it works. So would have a drill bit alone. Just measure the hole by 32nds until your desired delay. I do it consistently successfully. A whole lot easier!

But not nearly as much fun!

Our kids did the same thing for their TARC flights. I think they needed to raise up the notch by .030" which perfectly matched some plastic we had. They simply cut out a few small squares and glued them in place with white glue so that they could be removed in the future.

Take a look at the ears on the piece that has the drill on/in it (post#4 picture 5 left and right of drill bit). If you have 2 ProDat tools you could remove 1/32nd off of each ear's tip and then the modified tool would allow the delays to be -10, -8, -6, -4, -2 and the unmodified tool -9 thru -3 thus having even more delays since you would now be able to have -10 thru -2. Just a note, there is space between the 2 pieces of the Prodat tool that would be where the material would be removed from. Make sense?

I've use a hand nibbler for shaping small 1/16" sheet aluminum parts. Much safer than most power tools.
Also great if you need to cut out square holes. I picked mine up at Radio Shack many years ago for around $10. Don't know if they still carry this item.

nibbler.jpg

I've use a hand nibbler for shaping small 1/16" sheet aluminum parts. Much safer than most power tools.
Also great if you need to cut out square holes. I picked mine up at Radio Shack many years ago for around $10. Don't know if they still carry this item.

I used to have one of those years ago. No idea whatever happened to it.

Back