GRITS Aftermath...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropellantHead

Reaction score
In the wake of the rain and mud tsunami that hit the field this past weekend, we know that there are some of you who ordered T-Shirts but were not able to get them. The GRITS team will be sorting through all the leftover shirts and getting them sent out to their rightful owners.

Also, the raffle prizes that were not given away are going to be dispersed as well. We will do random drawings from all those who registered for the event and then make arrangements to get those to you as well.

NEXT YEAR: We have acquired the rights to use a large TARDIS next year so all flying will be indoors over a 500 acre area with a 20,000 foot ceiling (no waiver required since it's all "indoors". The temperature will be controlled at 72 degrees and there will be NO &*%$ING RAIN!!! :mad:

Need to bring this back to Florida. I'm done with that weather. Thanks to all who put it together and worked there ass off to get it going. Had fun Friday but left Saturday in the rain only to get home with rain. Maybe next year will be to behold. Sorry I didn't get to say buy to some nice folks that got me ice when I needed it but my butt was cold and ready to go home.. Thanks

It's a shame that the forecasts were so wrong. Even as late as Friday, Saturday looked okay and Sunday looked good. I hope everyone made it home alright and noone is still stuck out there.

If anything, it was an adventure. The mud was so muddy, I kept stepping out of my shoes. I started to recall what I had learned as a child from the Tarzan movies about how to survive after falling in quicksand.

Thanks to all who helped us out of the mud and to the organizers. Even with only a couple of hours of flying, it was obviously well-planned and executed.

-- Roger

It's a shame that the forecasts were so wrong. Even as late as Friday, Saturday looked okay and Sunday looked good. I hope everyone made it home alright and noone is still stuck out there.

Indeed! I watched the 11pm local news from my hotel room and it still said that Saturday was to be "mostly sunny" with only a 20% chance of rain. If you count one last time where I backed up onto the access road to turn around, I was the last one off the field. Everyone was mobile before we left. I'm just glad we didn't have anyone so stuck that a tractor would have been required.

Need to bring this back to Florida. I'm done with that weather. Thanks to all who put it together and worked there ass off to get it going. Had fun Friday but left Saturday in the rain only to get home with rain. Maybe next year will be to behold. Sorry I didn't get to say buy to some nice folks that got me ice when I needed it but my butt was cold and ready to go home.. Thanks

I was looking forward to chatting with you on Saturday when all my LCO chores were done and I'm sorry we didn't get the chance. For what it's worth, I was proud to hit the launch button for your rockets on Friday! :cool:

For what it's worth, we had 79 flights on Friday. Given that, plus what I know was happening on Saturday, I think we would have ended up the weekend with near 400 flights had the weather held out for us.

Friday's breakdown:

High Power Flights = 25
Mid Power Flights = 35
Low Power Flights = 19

I was looking forward to chatting with you on Saturday when all my LCO chores were done and I'm sorry we didn't get the chance. For what it's worth, I was proud to hit the launch button for your rockets on Friday! :cool:

I wished I had flew more Friday now looking back. Did the Saturday dinner ever go down. I wanted to attend. Would have been fun to kick back with everyone.

So only Friday. That stinks. I would love to see Winter Nationals return to FL.

Back