New Vendor Alert – Tease Phase!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
Hey TRFers,

I’ve been asked by a soon-to-be vendor to tease the new line of kits that they will be releasing very soon. These kits are going to be a breath of fresh air for a lot of you as it’s a new take on a material and a push for high quality workmanship. The vendor is a VERY active flier here in NY and makes some of the most beautiful scratch built rockets I have seen. His attention to detail in his own projects will carry over into this venture as he wouldn’t sell anything to you that he wouldn’t be proud of flying himself!

This new material is “Canvas Composite." This material is half the weight of fiberglass, water resistant, spiral free and takes epoxy very well. It’s dimensionally stable and not brittle like the phenolic of yesteryear. Instead of just introducing phenolic resin into a paper tube (“Flexible Phenolic”), this tubing replaces the paper with a woven cotton substrate.. It’s plenty strong for High Power applications without the chore of reinforcing.

The new tubing is all fine and dandy, but what will set this vendor apart is the attention to detail and quality. The tubes will have precision routed fin slots that are QC’d. All fins, rings and bulkheads are CNC cut and the phenolic couplers are custom fit. The innovative designs and applications will blow you away.

Aft CR’s that are stepped to double as a thrust plate? Check.
Stepped bulkheads for your altimeter bay? Check.
Integrated shock cord mount in the forward CR? Check.
No sanding or using a file to widen slots, sloppy couplers, or wonky tube cuts? Check.
Altimeter bay hardware? Check.
And more!

A website will be unveiled soon, as well as several different designs for your choosing. This weekend I will be picking up my very own 3” ARCAS kit (3” tubing, 54mm motor mount) and I will be outlining what’s included in the kit, my opinions of all of the parts, materials, fits, etc. I will do a build thread outlining my methods for building the rocket as it has some innovative practices not widely known in the hobby. The rocket will get stress tested this flying season to prove the quality of the design.

Keep your eyes on this thread, I will share more information very soon!

This is the most exciting rocket news I've heard in a long time! I will definitely be among the first in line.

Cheers,
Michael

"Canvas phenolic," what's old is new again. :)

It's good to see more options in airframe tubes, especially lighter ones.

John,

I agree, it's certainly not graphene or nano tech by any stretch of the means, but this is a new application for it. I believe that the Rugged Rockets made by Rocket Vision were of this material (or similar), but they were tiny and the tubes were super thick.

The weight savings coupled with great strength should be very appealing!

So this sounds like they will only offer HPR kits?

As of right now I am unsure. Smallest that I have heard is 3" but I cannot confirm as I am not affiliated with the vendor. The website will share more.

So this sounds like they will only offer HPR kits?

If it is as light as they seem to be saying it is, then likely a 3" ARCAS Kit could be made to fly safely on the upper end of the Mid-Power spectrum.
I know I could build a FG Clothed version in that size under 53 oz. fully loaded with a G80 easily.
The LOC EZI65 has a 54mm MMT, but can fly on 29mm Gs with an adapter.

Black Sky rocketry rings in my head for some reason????
I keep hearing voices of Optima 65 and 150.....

JD

maxresdefault.jpg

Sounds interesting. Please include options for shipping to Canada.

Let's see...1" ARCAS, 2x 1.6" ARCAS, 2.25" ARCAS, 2x 2.6" ARCAS, 4" ARCAS, 4.5" ARCAS...

Nope! No 3" ARCAS. I think I need one!

Cheers,
Michael

Yeah, I was going to say put in an ad but now forum supporters don't see anything. For a time, I did just get the rocketry related ads
overhead and the general ads for other junk disappeared. I was perfectly ok with that but apparently others weren't so the admin made
a change. Best of luck with the endeavor. Kurt

Hmm, what's this?

More to come as I get a chance to clean up my shop...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1425768448.647099.jpg

I see spirals in the motor tube.

All kidding aside, this sounds fantastic. It's very exciting to have a new high-quality option. I really hope this takes off - 'twould be a great thing.
That said, what happens if this DOES "take off"? - is this new mystery vendor in a position to keep up with demand? Will their production and fulfillment capacity be overwhelmed? I'd love to see this as a new VIABLE option to choose from - can't wait to see where it all goes.

s6

Sweet. I like it! I would say forged or welded eye-bolts. Otherwise, everything looks good.

Sweet. I like it! I would say forged or welded eye-bolts. Otherwise, everything looks good.

Ya know Kevin, I agree. I will comment on that in the other thread.

When I was handed the kit I was told to be as objective as possible. For reasons of full disclosure, I am not affiliated with the kit maker. I was given this kit with the expectation that I build it, post a public build thread here to make you all aware of this new manufacturer, and to "fly the piss out of it."

:)

Back