Something extra from Perfectflite

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got in an order of Stratologger CF's from Perfectflite today, with a little extra included:

008.jpg

As some of you may already know, when Sharon and I go to a rocket launch, we come ready to fly rockets. Every rocket we bring is usually already prepped with a motor and avbay ready to fly, some even have the ematches installed in the charge cups. Add black powder and fly. Since we are building or plan to build several new kits in the near future, we needed to pick up a few new altimeters:

009.jpg

One thing I did notice missing is the little metal stand-offs. I seem to remember them being included with the SL-100. I bought extra's in a previous order and use them for all the different altimeters we use.

They also included a note to update your Perfectflite Datacap before you download from the CF:

010.jpg

Got in an order of Stratologger CF's from Perfectflite today, with a little extra included:

008.jpg

As some of you may already know, when Sharon and I go to a rocket launch, we come ready to fly rockets. Every rocket we bring is usually already prepped with a motor and avbay ready to fly, some even have the ematches installed in the charge cups. Add black powder and fly. Since we are building or plan to build several new kits in the near future, we needed to pick up a few new altimeters:

009.jpg

One thing I did notice missing is the little metal stand-offs. I seem to remember them being included with the SL-100. I bought extra's in a previous order and use them for all the different altimeters we use.

They also included a note to update your Perfectflite Datacap before you download from the CF:

010.jpg
The blue ones (dark chocolate) are my favorites!

The new StratologgerCFs are sure small.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who pre-preps. I will confess to pre-installing the charges the day before if it really looks like a go launch as I'd rather pour the BP in a controlled environment as opposed out in the field with some careless dude walking by with a cigarette. If I had to do it at the launch, I'd hardly get any flying in. Yeah, yeah, I know some will nix this but I suspect the safest place for the charges are buried in the rocket. Oh, I weigh the charge as opposed to just looking at the graduations on the plastic cup. I know, it's anal but once I find an appropriate charge weight with a ground test, I like to be able to reproduce it. What's ideal? I think it's when the shockcord gets blown out not quite to the end of its length with the rocket at a few degrees of elevation on the ground test. Any other opinions? Suggestions? It's what I've done and seems to work pretty well. Kurt

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who pre-preps. I will confess to pre-installing the charges the day before if it really looks like a go launch as I'd rather pour the BP in a controlled environment as opposed out in the field with some careless dude walking by with a cigarette. If I had to do it at the launch, I'd hardly get any flying in. Yeah, yeah, I know some will nix this but I suspect the safest place for the charges are buried in the rocket. Oh, I weigh the charge as opposed to just looking at the graduations on the plastic cup. I know, it's anal but once I find an appropriate charge weight with a ground test, I like to be able to reproduce it. What's ideal? I think it's when the shockcord gets blown out not quite to the end of its length with the rocket at a few degrees of elevation on the ground test. Any other opinions? Suggestions? It's what I've done and seems to work pretty well. Kurt
Same deal for me as well. Usually by the time I get to the launch site, all I need to do is attach a kwik-link or 2, throw in a tracker, and go fly! I like to have several flights prepped ahead of time, although I sometimes have to move an altimeter or re-prep an av-bay if I'm flying it more than once. Personally I find it so much easier to prep in my shop as opposed to within the hubbub of a launch event, and YES, I do pack my charges ahead of time even though most folks would tell you otherwise.

Same deal for me as well. Usually by the time I get to the launch site, all I need to do is attach a kwik-link or 2, throw in a tracker, and go fly! I like to have several flights prepped ahead of time, although I sometimes have to move an altimeter or re-prep an av-bay if I'm flying it more than once. Personally I find it so much easier to prep in my shop as opposed to within the hubbub of a launch event, and YES, I do pack my charges ahead of time even though most folks would tell you otherwise.

Oh cripes Wilson, I got burned by the quick link thing once. Had a 4 inch longneck DD rocket thin-walled cardboard rocket on a 38mm J510. The camera was on the sustainer end. I was told the field was going to close shortly so I rushed and attached the apogee ematch to the terminal and FORGOT to attach the quick link. Apogee blew and the camera dutifully recorded the quick link flying by with the protector wrapped 18" drogue chute while pointed at the sky. Rocket started coming in nose/open end first and could see the shockcord with the drogue flopping around a bit in the chute protector until it worked itself free. Chute opened and the rocket body flopped down for a view of the fast approaching ground. The free upper bay I never saw until after the Rocketman R9C chute deployed. Must have come in like a bullet and the altimeter blew the main. I was able to catch several frames of the upper bay and the Rocketman chute below the sustainer on camera! The upper bay almost won the race to the ground but the sustainer on that small chute caught up and hit first. It only ended up with a crinkle in the mid tube that was easily repaired with a single wrap of 2.5oz glass cloth and epoxy. The upper bay was untouched!! How in the world that big chute deployed without zippering the tube is beyond me. Remember, this is with thin-walled cardboard LOC tubing without any reinforcement! Over 7 years this rocket has never had a nominal flight. The other non-fatal failures and fatal failures are pretty interesting too. Some are boring some are interesting but I'll get this thing to work right at least once!! Kurt

I build motor, prepare ffffg cups, and prep ebays at home day before launch too. I have seven Stratologgers and up to 4 of some motor to allow this

Stratologger 100s I order last came with a package of metal standoffs/screws with each altimeter.

Just checked and it does state on the webpage that the hardware is now sold separately.

I have a couple of rockets that are fully loaded with BP. Set them up last weekend at the launch, and the wind came up. I use Lee powder measures to load my charge cups:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I have also done the quick link thing, but with a 3" Darkstar, no damage. 24" drogue brought the fincan down, and the main came out normally. Have a friend that renamed his rocket the "Quick link Express" for the same reason....
Launches can be hectic, especially if they are big and busy. It's always easier to prep at home, no wind, no interruptions, and no loud PA system ranting.

Oh cripes Wilson, I got burned by the quick link thing once. Had a 4 inch longneck DD rocket thin-walled cardboard rocket on a 38mm J510. The camera was on the sustainer end. I was told the field was going to close shortly so I rushed and attached the apogee ematch to the terminal and FORGOT to attach the quick link. Apogee blew and the camera dutifully recorded the quick link flying by with the protector wrapped 18" drogue chute while pointed at the sky. Rocket started coming in nose/open end first and could see the shockcord with the drogue flopping around a bit in the chute protector until it worked itself free. Chute opened and the rocket body flopped down for a view of the fast approaching ground. The free upper bay I never saw until after the Rocketman R9C chute deployed. Must have come in like a bullet and the altimeter blew the main. I was able to catch several frames of the upper bay and the Rocketman chute below the sustainer on camera! The upper bay almost won the race to the ground but the sustainer on that small chute caught up and hit first. It only ended up with a crinkle in the mid tube that was easily repaired with a single wrap of 2.5oz glass cloth and epoxy. The upper bay was untouched!! How in the world that big chute deployed without zippering the tube is beyond me. Remember, this is with thin-walled cardboard LOC tubing without any reinforcement! Over 7 years this rocket has never had a nominal flight. The other non-fatal failures and fatal failures are pretty interesting too. Some are boring some are interesting but I'll get this thing to work right at least once!! Kurt
That's funny, Kurt!

Just checked and it does state on the webpage that the hardware is now sold separately.

I have a couple of rockets that are fully loaded with BP. Set them up last weekend at the launch, and the wind came up. I use Lee powder measures to load my charge cups:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I have also done the quick link thing, but with a 3" Darkstar, no damage. 24" drogue brought the fincan down, and the main came out normally. Have a friend that renamed his rocket the "Quick link Express" for the same reason....
Launches can be hectic, especially if they are big and busy. It's always easier to prep at home, no wind, no interruptions, and no loud PA system ranting.
I discovered that same thing as well. I mounted my StratologgerCF using 4-40 screws and nylon spacers - quick and dirty.

Oh yeah, and as for "rockets fully loaded with BP" - while driving home from BALLS last year I transported a fully-prepped, 8' long x 4" diameter fiberglass rocket with me. It ran almost the entire length of my truck, with the forward end of the rocket (sans nosecone) poking through the window into the cab! It didn't fly until our club's October launch. BALLS last year was definitely a game of "How many unflown motors are we bringing home with us?"

no buddies talking to you... asking quesitons...
Agree with you both there.

Back