US loses military weather satellite

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if they can tell me where they last had it I will help them look for it - have they looked down the back of the sofa yet ?

I think there's a strong possibility it's somewhere in the cosmos. If not that, then the space/time continuum.

Sorry, should have been clearer....by lost, I meant that the satellite blew up (or was blown up).

They know where the pieces are.:p

It was a secret weather satellite. It was there to monitor the secret weather the government didn't want you to know about.
That's fine with me. We've had a lot of weather this year that we wish we had never known about.....

https://spacenews.com/20-year-old-military-weather-satellite-wasnt-first-of-its-kind-to-explode/

My guess is a propulsion system failure. Hydrazine will explode if overheated hot or shocked. Not all that an unusual occurrence.

Bob

Especially a 20 year old weather satellite. Could have been a lot of natural phenomena to cause the hydrazine to explode. Near earth space has lots of junk flying around. Could just gave easily been hit by a small piece of space junk. I think given the age, this is nothing unusual for it hi explode.

Mike

That's fine with me. We've had a lot of weather this year that we wish we had never known about.....
We had about a 1/4" of rain two days ago and you'd swear the news stations were waiting to interview Noah. Now we're back to plain old secret weather. Even the newscasters are bored!

Damn!!
It was right here a moment ago.
Did anybody see where I put my weather satellite?

Back