CJ's Punisher's in OZ build & trip across country to launch.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like a great time. That is one of the best rocket shops I have ever seen- awesome!

I like the fin can with stainless leading edges. It makes sense as that is where the vast bulk of the heat is. If you can keep the edges from delamination you should be fine, and the stainless leading will do just that. I would be interested in a picture of that after the flight- specifically to see if there is any epoxy melt around the stainless.

Have a great time, and try not to cause any international incidents😈

I just got back to Brisbane, got a plane out in the AM. CJ should be back sometime tonight. I am sure he will fill you all in on the details, from his own point of view!

But it was a great launch. For a group of people (and a very small group, at that) to put this launch together for the first time was something. Overall it went very smooth, there were something like 30 Cert flight, (6 Level 3's that I know of) and all had a great time.

Coming soon full report....

I am official V-2 launch crew.....World record set. Barry & I were given the private viewing of it day before scheduled flight by "Crusty" the chicken.

Another world record set My buddy Nic.... O -3400 to ready for it....

66,678ft Mach 3.32 built with BOAT GLUE

Barely any visible damage [cosmetic]after flight!!!!

DSCN4253.jpg

DSCN8352.jpg

DSCN8356.jpg

Last edited:
This looks like a great time. That is one of the best rocket shops I have ever seen- awesome!

I like the fin can with stainless leading edges. It makes sense as that is where the vast bulk of the heat is. If you can keep the edges from delamination you should be fine, and the stainless leading will do just that. I would be interested in a picture of that after the flight- specifically to see if there is any epoxy melt around the stainless.

Have a great time, and try not to cause any international incidents��

There was none..... most was on top 1/2 of the 7-1 cone. There were tiny pin hole burn bubbles....very tiny -it can fly again with just a new paint job and touch up glue. [fin caps are loose]

CJ, just BTW, I had a closer look at the numbers today and max V was at 6,750' AGL, where the speed of sound was 735 MPH on the day. So, the correct speed was approx mach 3.52 instead if the 3.36 I mentioned to you.

Thanks for being there to help with the launch!

Cheers
Nic

PS yeah, nothing wrong with boat glue...

On the way from Brisbane to Westmar, 100 miles from the closest anything, in the Outback. Strikingly similar to Walk-about-Creek in Crocodile Dundee, about 30 miles from launch site....The Coogan's 70,000 acre ranch. The entrance gate is 9 miles from launch site on ranch!

These bad dogs were just frolicking around back of truck for 40 miles at 65mph, we followed them to Westmar Roadhouse for final gas & pitstop after 6 hr drive...yes I did drive on wrong side of road for couple hundred miles.....we only saw 2 cars and a "Road Train" 100ft long trailers you pull over and let pass.

DSCN4144.jpg DSCN4158.jpg DSCN4147.jpg

DSCN4151.jpg

The dunny or outhouse says "Irish tilt & toot" on door...lol

Sign with history of "Moonie Highway' which crosses Outback. We saw Imu's ...Wallabies, parrots, 'Roos...of all types along the way.

DSCN4414.jpg DSCN4402.jpg DSCN4158.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4417.jpg
    DSCN4417.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Saw some strange cactus trees in bloom with fruit. These things are 30-35ft tall!

Finally arrived at actual site...whole lot of nothing...just what a rocketeer wants to see!

Whole lot different from Blakes house, where it sounds like a jungle all night....'roos in front & back yard, howlers in the trees sounding like monkeys... fenced to keep stuff out...not in. Launch site dead quite with fantastic views of the Southern Cross, Jupiter & venus, every night.

70,000+ acres of flying heaven! They set a Guinness book of records here by planting over 2400 acres of wheat in 24 hrs! Previous record was 900 acres.

The site where the V-2 launched was same paddock or filed where the wheat record was set. Remember the V-2 is now also a world record .

DSCN4170.jpg

DSCN4175.jpg

DSCN4176.jpg

DSCN4178.jpg

DSCN4195.jpg

Last edited:
Blake and Nic..[and their families] and everyone else who worked so hard to pull this event off with out a hitch are to be congratulated for their valiant efforts! Imagine an LDRS 400miles away from ANYTHING. Pads had to be made..........

All Food , water, electricity, refrigeration, booze...had to be hauled in. Australian Rocketry's first major event and it went off perfectly.
No waiting in launch lines or any snafu's during the entire event...2 away cells...1 was 1.5 miles and other 2.5 miles from main site.
No worries about safety here!

They quoted this as being the "Greatest launch in the Southern Hemisphere", this is inaccurate, as it was more like the Greatest launch in the world!

They even used a Wilson FX launch control system. There were folks from all over the world at the "Classy" Australian Model Rocket Society event.
I was totally surprised not to see ANY representation by at least 1 Tripoli board member, especially the Australian .....wonder where he was?

You all missed a FANTASTIC event! Bit of humor here to show the Aussie resourcefulness...

To get 4 port-o-lets to the site would cost 4,500.00! So the land owner used a pole borer and they made them! Along with a bit of "reading material' during use. Nic's wife took it upon herself to search the net for the funny Papers.
They were cleaned daily and lighting was provided for night use, had to be careful though.....one slip and you could fall in...LOL

When you got your registration package, it included a roll of toilet paper and you were instructed "not to lose it"!

DSCN4200.jpg

DSCN4201.jpg

DSCN4202.jpg

DSCN4214.jpg

DSCN4216.jpg

DSCN4218.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what a REAL record breaking flight looks like, just a motor...fincan & nose cone, made out of BOAT-GLUE!
Regular BP charges in long 15in "barrel"tubes to ensure complete burn.

I'm proud to say Nic is my "mate", and I could, in a small way, be part of his achievement & witness to it. Not something you see every day, for sure.

Go back through the pages to see all the parts close up.

On it's way to 66,000 + ft at Mach 3.5 something [O-3400] I helped build 1 and did 2 more by myself! for the fliers. When Nic pushed the button, that thing SCREAMED off the pad to a perfect flight. He knew where it landed [big red bee] 8miles away, but had to figure out how to get to it....remember...no roads here, but he had a Honda bike. Several hours later, he showed up smiling ear to ear, like a kid locked in a candy shop!

Link to flight data on Nic's thread....go back a few pages to see the build details;

https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4666&start=30

There was a German contingent there, but the minimum diameter they built came apart around 7,000 ft...it was to long [10ft?] and had too much useless, unused space, where it broke in half at Max-Q. Nic & I built their motor also.

I set a record for myself as a TAP.

4-L-3 certs
2-L-2 certs
1-L-1 cert t'was a couple of very busy days for the American.

DSCN4309.jpg DSCN4338.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0221.jpg

Last edited:
From 10-12 O'clock day of V-2 launch, everyone was allowed to visit the site and take pictures. I was driving Barry [Doc of Loc] Ute out to the site 1 mile away. [I had already been out there day before taking assembly pics as I was designated a team member]

Over 500 people showed up to witness this record breaking flight.....and drove the equivalent distance of Chicago Ill to Toledo Oh to see it!!!!
Adding that to the 250 attendees it was SPECTACULAR...just look at them surrounding the V-2!

Just as I was leaving, someone knocked on my dusty window.

I rolled it down and Homer himself, asked if Crazy Jim would give him and his wife a ride out. So naturally I obliged, I asked him how he knew who I was, and he replied.... I was more infamous than he.....LOL..it was embarrassing...& I don't get embarrassed easily.

So I asked him to sign my drag race Wildman Punisher rocket.....I said it would not be hung on a wall, nor put on a mantle to be admired, but rather would be flown till the fins fell off....he was in total agreement with my philosophy!
Never having heard of "Drag Racing rockets" I told him of the " dress in drag" scenario losers faced a MWP.

He was thrilled by the concept of "drag racing rockets". I believe I may have started a tradition Down Under.

He wrote "Aim High" and later found me and asked if he could write more on the rocket...of course I obliged & he drew and arrow pointy side up on the front....and this end hot on the rear. We had great fun,,but more on that tomorrow along with complete V-2 report [they made me a team V-2 member complete with "official shirt"!

Homer was thrilled when I totally "spanked" the opposition in the race, with "Homer" the rocket.....he took pictures and it's on his Facebook page!

I mean I REALLY spanked all of them, I was near apogee before the rest of them left the pads....went 12,668 ft on a CTI 54 6xl K-815 skid...don't know how fast yet...haven't downloaded data. Proved the NC deploy can handle extreme fast flights!

Nic painted the Punisher for me with 2-pac paint [what they call automotive here] and by far it's the best looking rocket I now own, just check out the shine! I had no intention of bringing it back...but now...wouldn't you after all it's been through?

Thanks again Nic for all you did..... and Wildman for shipping the kit down under!

DSCN4340.jpg

DSCN4341.jpg

DSCN4361.jpg

DSCN4362.jpg

Last edited:
As a final note before I hit the pillow, here is link to pics all about the launch including video of V-2 flight under highlights thread. Check back over next few days as many more to be added.
Most of these guys aren't even home yet!
https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=72

By the way our very own Bandman [Bryce] was doing LCO duty during V-2 flight, for that matter most of the launch.

Last edited:
LOL.... "grow up". Yeah right. :p

Doesn't everyone want to be Crazy Jim? :)

Crazy Jim Drag race Down Under:

[video=youtube;pIfkaCXYV2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIfkaCXYV2k[/video]

"Smoke on the Water" I ran away with the show.....my toothpaste was a bit green, but made a good igniter....LOL

5.jpg

DSCN4365.jpg DSCN4368.jpg The contestants.

DSCN4369.jpg DSCN4371.jpg

DSCN4374.jpg

We all had way too much fun doing this late Saturday & continued the party into the wee hours of the morning.

Notice all the "Crazy Jim" drag race stickers!

DSCN4235.jpg DSCN4236.jpg DSCN4238.jpg

Finally we have Ozzie "GPS" to find our rockets! Of course you know who "installed" it!

DSCN4442.jpg

Link to all the pics on Ozzie Forum:

https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4771&start=90 :smile:

Jim, that, as I said previously, looks like a truly awesome trip. Great launch, great people, and a very cool country I would love to visit sometime.

New title/signature CJ - more infamous than Homer

Jim, that, as I said previously, looks like a truly awesome trip. Great launch, great people, and a very cool country I would love to visit sometime.

New title/signature CJ - more infamous than Homer

I wouldn't go that far....but....

From Homer's Facebook.....

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 9.07.12 AM.jpg

still here, still having fun. I knew many of the Ozzie's from previous events here...LDRS, Black Rock, but now I have many, many more "mate's".
Even added quite a few "Kiwi's"! All such a great bunch of friendly rocketeer's.
Be back Monday.

Last edited:
still here, still having fun. I knew many of the Ozzie's from previous events here...LDRS, Black Rock, but now I have many, many more "mate's".
Even added quite a few "Kiwi's"! All such a great bunch of friendly rocketeer's.
Be back Monday.

Jimbo, you have more friends here than you can possibly imagine! Hate to see you go!

(but you have to; or immigration will arrest you; and then I'll have to bail you out!)
:facepalm:

It was great having you out here, Jim. My cool Homer story was having both you and Homer standing beside me in my gazebo and watching the V-2 launch together.

Ok guys.....NEWS FLASH.......Ozzie Meter Maids!!!!

Went to Gold Coast yesterday.....OMG....like Miami Beach.

Called Surfers Paradise...according to those in the know, some of the best surfing in the world.

These are meter maids down here! For real....For real...For real!

Walking around in gold bikini's and saving, yes saving, your arse should you run out of meter money. They will put a coin in for 1 hr..after that you get a ticket.

Kinda takes the sting out of a ticket doesn't it?

https://www.metermaids.com/

013_8122.jpg 273184-cbbf6af8-0107-11e4-9992-0807e2bd5ec1.jpg

927167-e386d522-0828-11e4-bc36-8d21b10697cd.jpg au0090.jpg

Last edited:
Awoke to more of those darn 'hopper's' in Blakes front yard...along with a wild horse??

DSCN4452.jpg

Took a drive to coast as mentioned in above thread and toured the marina.

Venice style Gondola's for rent.... A house boat church.

DSCN4464.jpg DSCN4473.jpg

The happy "hooker" for rent & view of high rises on beach.

DSCN4478.jpg DSCN4490.jpg

Then we head down the dock for A wonderful lunch at Pete's Seafood....looks like the Ibis beat us there.

DSCN4497.jpg

Skip this post...UNLESS you love Seafood.

You enter shop, pick you favorites and they cook them to perfection while you wait.

Benches and tables outside with water views while you eat.

Truly Paradise Beach!

No more words just let your mouth water with all the choices....some I never heard of but had to try, like the "Bugs" much like lobster, but straight out of some Sci-Fi Horror movies.

DSCN4501.jpg DSCN4502.jpg

DSCN4503.jpg DSCN4504.jpg

DSCN4505.jpg DSCN4506.jpg DSCN4507.jpg

DSCN4508.jpg DSCN4509.jpg

we got here right before lunch and the place was empty, by the time we ordered and got our food it was packed beyond capacity...to the point you could not even take a pic .

Last edited:
Took our order down to a table by the water, our own bit of paradise and had a picnic.

Moreton Bay "Bugs"
Garlic Calimari
fried Calimari

Jumbo Prawns
Kiwi Oysters
Chips [fries]

Codfish

DSCN4510.jpgDSCN4516.jpg

DSCN4517.jpgDSCN4519.jpg

Even had a couple of moochers, begging food.

DSCN4528.jpg DSCN4602.jpg

Nice view while eating.

DSCN4530.jpg

I suppose I should take you through the V-2 ...now, all this eating and meter maid watching gets so tiring......

This thing was so majestic just sitting out there all alone.Needed a crane to erect the 3 sections. NC body fin can
Since none was to be had, a grain auger was utilized for the task. 2 full days to get everything in place.

3 truck/semi trailers brought the sections on site.
Basically made of aluminum sq. tubing.....frame filled in with sheets of foam insulation, then skinned with white plastic self-stick shelving paper....like Mono-Cote....but not....shelving plastic for real.

Weighed 950lbs motor was an 0-25,000 Look how small people are next to this giant!

DSCN4248.jpg DSCN4266.jpg

Since now I was on official team member Barry & I got out there day before the crowd to witness final assembly details and before the Sponsor stickers were added.

DSCN4268.jpg

The outriggers were mounted to a 1/2 ton steel plate along with a section of 4in drill pipe. This was the "launch rod".
Going through center of V-2 was 4in sections of PVC pipe which acted as "launch lugs".
The rocket had to be slid onto the pipe in 3 sections from the crane/auger...no simple feat, since it was windy the entire time.

Close ups of huge welded pad plates/supports & motor mount.

DSCN4270.jpg DSCN4271.jpg

DSCN4272.jpg

Close up of nose art & support vehicle...a 40 year old "Moke". Had to laugh, had my first experience with "Moke's" in Barbados back in the 70's...drove one around the island for a week. Takes some getting used to wrong side steering & left hand roads...LOL

DSCN4275.jpg DSCN4283.jpg

Last edited:
Then the following morning Sat, they opened the V-2 site for visitor photo ops and all hell broke loose.

People had actually come from as far as India, Tasmania, Germany, Great Britain, New Zealand,USA, etc. to see this thing launch!

Over 500 spectators were counted that day just for this, no simple feat when considering Brisbane is 300 miles & 5-6 hr drive away.

Then a small plane buzzed the V-2 at 50 ft during the photo op.

DSCN4344.jpg DSCN4345.jpg DSCN4346.jpg

DSCN4347.jpg DSCN4348.jpg DSCN4352.jpg

Hats off to the Ozzies for pulling this one off!:smile:

Back