CJ's Punisher's in OZ build & trip across country to launch.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
It's Tuesday here I arrived last night [Oz time] and already Nic is Raw-hiding me. Just like being at Tim's!!!!

Today started slow, I was hoping a Punisher Kit was waiting for me, but no.....so I started building one from scratch.
Cut a 3 in tube, cut 3 fins from 1/8 plate. Cut CR's on Nic's laser cutter.This guy has EVERY tool needed to build both tubes , NC's rockets from total scratch. He's the current N5800 record holder.

I did bring my NC and electronics with me}. Just about 1 minute from the slotting session., the post truck shows up with my kit.... Wildman personally delivered it....Thanks Tim!

so now what to do? I got parts for 2 Punishers.... Hey Nic,wanna fly a 75 minimum D Punisher? Yeeeeeeeeuuuuup!

Now it's 10 PM and we have already completely finished the minimum fin can and fillets. NC & av-bay built.
Standard Punisher fin can has been injected, sitting in curing oven {which is really slick ...made with a hairdryer and thermostat...stupid simple!]

So when done we will be flying 2 Punisher in the Crazy Jim Down Under Drag race, which Homer Hickman will be giving the final 10 count.Pretty Kewl huh?

The PunishOZ will be flying a 4 grain M-C*[ what ever the heck it is] so we will be trying to melt one of Tim's new 3in CTI cone LOL.:y:
I will stuff the 6xl 54mm K 815 sparky in my Punisher.

By tomorrow noon., both will be finished and ready to fly! 2 Punishers built in less than 24hrs.!!
So Nic's shop/garage has been officially christened as Crazy Jim's rocket shop down unda!
He the first guy I ever met who can build stuff as fast/faster than Tim & I! Shown me a couple of really neat tricks to boot.
AND keep my mug full of rum all day long!:wink:

More on all this and pics a bit later I need to get some sleep...up at 5-6 tomorrow to finish all this, Oh did I mention building the tower for 6in rockets also, finish his 4in .O-3400 minimum shot and another 3in min.:smile:
Paint 2 rockets.....all by tomorrow night. because Wed is pack the truck, trailer and car with all this crap and 2 motor cycles to find rockets when we get there! Plus the 10 in RAPTOR flying on a Gorilla 6in Blue motor.

DiD I mention the Full Scale V-2 that will be flying also!!!??

This is the 6xl CTI I'll be sticking in the Punisher....just enough room left to get the NC/av-bay on...LOL

DSCN3982.jpg

Last edited:
Alrighty then....

I have a steep learning curve to get used to and no time to do it , so I just dove right in. Glue's/ Epoxies I have never heard of, or used & no idea how long they take to cure. This stuff...all of it is fantastic & I'm hunting it down when I get back....Yes it's for boats....SO Frack'n What....he's used it on all his stuff that's gone over Mach -3 not even blistered the finish!

I do not want to ever hear anymore crap about using boat epoxy on rockets..... you are all WRONG....LOL

The 2 bottles of 5-minute have been around [the brand] since WW-2, and what they used to hold the plywood skins on British Mosquito airplane wings.
Used this for tacking fins, shock cord to MM, vent bands.....
Cans hold the neatest stuff I've seen in a loooong while. Consistency of petroleum jelly, looks like WEST after silica is added....did all 3 sets of fillets at once....no sagging.
DSCN3975.jpg DSCN3976.jpg

Needed CR's for the scratch built P...step over to the laser cutter....5 minutes & perfect fitting CR's
You guys would think ya died, and went to rocket heaven. He makes all his av-bay sleds with this & fin jigs &...welll just about anything!

DSCN3977.jpg

Got a coupler a bit to tight like My Punishers NC coupler?.......step up to the polishing wheel.....dab of jeweler's rouge...polish away for a few minutes and Voila! perfect fit...
Why the heck did I never think of this one. I have a wheel, rouge etc.. for polishing aluminum. Never sanding the heck out of one again!

DSCN3978.jpg DSCN3979.jpg

So I cut out a set of fins with a tungsten cutting wheel & dremel, don't know if they have these in the state's....anyone seen 'em?

Nic's putting perfect bevels on them, by hand, so sharp you could shave with these!

DSCN3981.jpg DSCN3985.jpg DSCN3989.jpg

By the way, climate here...Albury, north of Melbourne....is sub-tropical. Pretty close to Orlando, I see a lot of the same Palms, Oelander,
etc. it's fall here and 75-80's perfect rocket flying weather. So we drink rum, vodka, O-jay and Pinapple on our frequent re-hydration brakes.

DSCN3984.jpg

Here's the curing oven used to set hard, the internal fillets, in about 30-40 minutes.. Made from particle board, lined with aluminum foil with foam backing 1/16in. stuff used in engine compartments to keep heat away from interiors. Powered by an everyday 15.00 hairdryer, with a 14.00 thermostat, on the out side, with the sensor in the box. it will hold 90 C or 194 degrees F! Outside of box never even gets warm, talk about a stupid simple cheap curing oven.
Hair dryer would cycle on/off about every 7-10 minutes and run for just a minute or so to hold that temp over the time frame. Just cut hole in corner of box.......insert H dryer! Gotta love this one!

DSCN3987.jpg DSCN3988.jpg

Last edited:
This whole deal sounds like something I'd be up to.

Reminds me a little of connecting with Chris/Ethan before my trip to NZ now 7 (yikes) years ago.

Jim - put a CTI M840 in there if it must be commercial. At least try to use half the waiver. Oh, and if I've added any valuable content to this forum, it's that you don't need layups on your MD build.

Have fun.

-Steve H. (who finally got a 75k window down here and will be flying on Mar. 14-15)

Good morning! 7:15 here just about ready to head down to the rocket shop, but first....this is going to Thunda with us!

Cork laminated 10inch body tubes....super light. Carbon skinned fins, huge. Ya can see the entire build here: The Raptor to commemorate one of Nic's favorite jets.
https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4392

1-1.JPG 1.JPG 4-1.JPG

4.JPG 5-1.JPG 5.JPG

Flying on a Gorrilla "O" motor, Blue

Jim- What a great adventure. I'm really surprised nobody seems to have picked up the fact HOMER HICKAM is doing the countdown! (yes- THAT Homer Hickam is in Australia right now-check his facebook page) That is just as cool as hell! You know you have to get his autograph-right? Maybe on the rocket! I'd never fly that one again. But I'm a nerd-what can I say?

I must apologize, barley time to take some pics and post today, no time for replies, but hi everyone!

Just slap them up .... rockets in jigs , fins curing...Nic uses a propane torch to "quick" set his fins when tacked on, can't see the flame, apparently lost in photo process.

I have never seen anyone as fast to mix epoxy ...literally a blur... we awoke to all this fully cured and ready for next steps....

DSCN3973.jpg DSCN3999.jpg DSCN4000.jpg

DSCN4002.jpg DSCN4004.jpg

Jim- What a great adventure. I'm really surprised nobody seems to have picked up the fact HOMER HICKAM is doing the countdown! (yes- THAT Homer Hickam is in Australia right now-check his facebook page) That is just as cool as hell! You know you have to get his autograph-right? Maybe on the rocket! I'd never fly that one again. But I'm a nerd-what can I say?

Yes having dinner with him Tues night. I will ask to have the Punisher signed, but hey I'm flying the damn thing. too bad I can't bring it back to the states.

They brought in a huge screen 40x 30 at the launch site. Movie october sky playing Sat Nite With Homer doing intro & comments.

Ya'll are missing a Super Launch Extravaganza.....3yrs in the making. Why the heck you think a came 14,000 miles? Can't miss this!

3 launch sites...away cell 1 mile from main. Away...Away is 2 miles for the super high altitude shots.....130,000 foot waiver. Putting the high flying stuff way up wind from main site....saves a lot of walking/recovery!

Taking pics every day and posting whenever near internet of event and antics at the onsite bar.I'm camped right across from it, opens every day upon range closing.
These guys thought of everything....full blown bar at launch site.. Did mention cafeteria style food service to? We are way far away from anything.

Last edited:

I'm at a complete loss for appropriate superlatives. This is the single most incredible build I've seen. Simply outstanding.

Folks you must, absolutely MUST check it out. Unless you're the type that sees high-end builds, and they make you feel like all you are doing with your own rockets is piddling around with the most crude and simple toys. If that's you, stay away, cause this one will reduce you to tears.

Jim, I am so, So, SO jealous.

I hope you're having the time of your life down there,
s6

Damn I'm so jealous as always. One day for sure. By the way Jim yes there are tungsten carbide dremel cutting wheels. You can find them in Home Depot.

Have fun you two. Keep the pics coming.

This sounds kind it'll be ONE HELL OF A LAUNCH!!
Awesome that you guys will be able to enjoy it! Nice looking punisher too.

Nate

Remember, there is a full size V2 model at the launch. The model rocket will be flying on an O motor. Moving the equivalent of a four story high building nearly 2000 feet in the air. Congratulations to Karl and his team from Rocketry Victoria for bringing this to fruition.

To learn more... https://www.worldrecordrocket.com

If you aren't here already ...

Cheers

Noel

Last edited:
Remember, there is a full size V2 model at the launch. The model rocket will be flying on an O motor. Moving the equivalent of a four story high building nearly 2000 feet in the air. Congratulations to Karl and his team from Rocketry Victoria for bringing this to fruition.

To learn more... https://www.worldrecordrocket.com

If you aren't here already ...

Cheers

Noel

Wow, I wish I was there to see this.

Flying on a Gorrilla "O" motor, Blue

Fantastic motor. I saw one fly in June. We're in for a treat.

I'm at a complete loss for appropriate superlatives. This is the single most incredible build I've seen. Simply outstanding.

Nic is a great guy, too. Always gives people an encouraging comment, or pitches in to help others be successful.

edit: Oh yeah, Jim, I have a Pro75 4G case you can borrow for the drag race.

Since my last post:

Went to bed right after 10pm.....awoke at 4am to drive 1200 mile through Outback to Brisbane...arived last night [Thurs 11.00pm]

Post these few pics then must head to Blakes to continue building towers and pads for launch along with ground testing the Raptor...etc

So... My Punisher with 2-pac paint[ what they call automotive] recovery vehicles for launch...some shop pics....

6in Gorrilla "O" motor for Raptor.

Nose cone Av-bay for DD 4in minimum O-3400 shot to hopefully 60,000 ft.

Carbon fin can with stainless fin caps [4fin] oh yeah MADE WITH BOAT GLUE.... they don't even blister after flight to over M-3....so there...LOL

DSCN4005.jpg

DSCN4009.jpg

DSCN4010.jpg

DSCN4011.jpg

DSCN4019.jpg

DSCN4020.jpg

DSCN4022.jpg

Homemade carbon tailcone..glued over motor end for fin can to butt -up against.

All tubes, nc's, tailcones and stainless tapers...hand made in this shop...everything from scratch.

Nice to have laser cutters, CNC's ..metal benders. lathes, drill presses, shapers, sander,\s etc right..

By for now back to work....more later from Blake's

DSCN4015.jpg

DSCN4016.jpg

DSCN4017.jpg

DSCN4021.jpg

DSCN4023.jpg

DSCN4024.jpg

DSCN4025.jpg

DSCN4026.jpg

DSCN4012.jpg

I hope you realize that we are all insanely jealous.

Have a blast down there, and keep posting pictures!

First off - "insanely jealous" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Second - Did you get a new camera? These shots all seem to be an uptick in quality from you (their all even in focus! - well, other than the closeup of the tailcone) :D

Third - post #18, 7th picture - what the heck is that alongside the tracker antenna?

Fourth - Nic seems to be.......ummmmmm...."rather wealth off", no? (in my world that would qualify as "obscenely rich"). VERY cool that he uses his means to design/build such sweet rockets, and that he seems like a great bloke who's comfortable sharing. Nice.

Fifth - wow.

s6

First off - "insanely jealous" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Second - Did you get a new camera? These shots all seem to be an uptick in quality from you (their all even in focus! - well, other than the closeup of the tailcone) :D

Third - post #18, 7th picture - what the heck is that alongside the tracker antenna?

Fourth - Nic seems to be.......ummmmmm...."rather wealth off", no? (in my world that would qualify as "obscenely rich"). VERY cool that he uses his means to design/build such sweet rockets, and that he seems like a great bloke who's comfortable sharing. Nice.

Fifth - wow.

s6

I have trouble with build pics when doing at night...all bulbs are fluorescent and give off yellow cast in pics....here all daylight shots...no worries, same camera.

That's lead ballast.it's all the way around on sled if you look...that's the 4in. O-3400 shot av-bay....remember high mach flights have a 2-3 caliper CP jump forward,usually right at motor burnout, the added weight is for CG increase forward, [obviously] and keeps rocket stable during this anomaly.

As far as "Nic's income he sells woman for a living.......................

......... knew that one would get ya, actually a service similar to Kelly Girl, woman's temp service...LOL
On the way through outback we talk a bit of a walk....many encounters with poisonous and deadly creatures....

Every thing from a "makita-grindasourous" to a "fan bladitus"

Little critters every where....beware.

DSCN4053.jpg

DSCN4055.jpg

DSCN4056.jpg

DSCN4057.jpg

DSCN4060.jpg

DSCN4061.jpg

DSCN4062.jpg

DSCN4063.jpg

DSCN4064.jpg

DSCN4066.jpg

Last edited:
Need to use the bathroom? Gotta love these running man sign!!

DSCN4028.jpg

Back on the road we stopped at the "Dish" which received Neil Armstrong's famous message when he walked on the moon.

DSCN4033.jpg DSCN4029.jpg

Gallah's or Cockatoo's wild nearby..... size of large pigeons....the giant white Cockattoo's are as big a hawks...huge and noisy!

DSCN4031.jpg

Finally arrive at Blakes[ Friday] this morning and back to work assembling the freshly minted Ozzie pads.

Check all the details ...really well thought out design up to M's
Way the fold out and assemble from storage is really neat.
All light weight aluminum tubing and easily swap from 1010 to 1515. They just slide on the square tubing.
There is even a fold down support for sliding large rockets on rail. Held up, when not in use by magnets.
Stainless blast deflectors on all.

DSCN4073.jpg DSCN4074.jpg DSCN4075.jpg

DSCN4076.jpg

DSCN4081.jpg DSCN4083.jpg DSCN4084.jpg

DSCN4088.jpg

Last edited:
Actually pad building took place at Blake's dads.....had to trapes across other side of Brisbane to B's house, he lives in the hills & woods suburb called "Jimboomba"
30 acres of trees and mud. Reminds you of "Duke's of Hazzard" ......need a 4 wheel drive to negotiate the driveway.

Saw many 'roos in his yard, but they go by so fast can't seem to grab camera.
Yes the boys vain........nice plates.

DSCN4094.jpg

I thought it was nice of them to re-name the town for "ME" during my stay,.. Jimboomba

DSCN4093.jpg

If you want eggs for breakfast at Blako's house, you have to go outback and pick them from trees.

DSCN4091.jpg

Oh did I mention the strange way Ozzies test "Back-UP'' charges...with a buddy for back-up!.........

DSCN4089.jpg

It's now Sat early morning,time to repair and build av-bays for the 2 rockets Blake has in My race,and another we are souping up for a long standing 'Grudge match" he needs to win...to save face from a spanking....."we have the technology"

Last edited:
Well finally some shots of what many wanted to see..."Roo's"

Blakes place is out in the country . Guess he would be a Georgia redneck, complete with solar and water collectors.

A Bit different here though....no storage batteries on the solar , all excess is sold back to the grid, at night or big peak, electric comes from grid. Enough Solar produced they never have a light bill! No batteries to deal with. All monies that would be spent on batteries, goes to more panel's allowing for so much excess production.

DSCN4112.jpg DSCN4113.jpg DSCN4114.jpg

So now you will have to click 3 times to blow up fully to see the 'roos hanging out in Blako's yard, I spotted five, they blend in so well.
Took a bit of time to sneak up on them.

First pic dead center that's where they are...I continuously walked toward them very slowly, I got about a hundred feet from them before they spooked.

DSCN4097.jpg DSCN4104.jpg DSCN4106.jpg

DSCN4109.jpg

So it's Sunday 12.00 now Al Bycheck just arrived, going out to shop to finish projects

Well...Al's the second Yank to make it here. We're both at Blako's readying stuff for the launch site. Most important are the signs for on-site bar...certainly a first for me!

DSCN4129.jpg

Couple of rockets I prepped for launch....1 M' ...2-N's Note the "short" 4in DarkStar with green fins. I modified it into a DarkerStar, no payload ...moved the main chute into NC. Now only weighs 10.5 lbs and has a Gorrilla 7600 case [42inches of AP goodness] waiting for it. First big rocket I've done with H.E.D. deployment, should be a marketable improvement in altitude.

DSCN4131.jpg

Finally loaded cross country buggies , with all sorts of AP goodness for trip to launch site. We leave in a few hours, after a bit of sleep.

DSCN4135.jpg DSCN4136.jpg

And just as we were finishing up at dusk....A "joey" and 'mum' graced us with their presence by Blakes front driveway.

DSCN4128.jpg

It's 3.15 Am in the morning and we leave for launch in a few hours.

Yes, the most important Rocket Fuel bar. We were testing it out to make sure it is in 'proper working order' before driving out to that launch site.

The Roo's are defiantly interested in CJ for some strange reason....

My 4" min diameter broke down to all fit, except av bay, into a 8x8x33" cardboard box. Just checked it as baggage and arrived with me. Will be flying it on a CTI M1060.

It's going to be a fun launch.

-Al

Jim, I just gotta say.....

All of us here on the forum are of course SO jealous of your trip - seems like such a great one, and the REAL good stuff is stillyet to come! It's so cool of you to share it with all of us TRF folk. I hope you're having as much of a blast as we are all imagining it to be.

Thanks for bringin' us along.

cheers mate,
s6

We made it out to the field. It's a great spot, but really out in the middle of nowhere. The V2 just arrived about an hour ago. Watched rocket movies on the big screen they have set up here, last night. The town of Westmar, about 15 miles away, is really a few buildings on the crossroads. reminds me of Bruno's!

IMG_2079s.jpg

Back