K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... It's been a while since I posted one of these. Confession: When you're living in a foreign country (say... China), limited in your ability of the local language, and aren't living with friends, or attending school, the nights can be a little boring. Especially when it's -9C (15.8F), windy, and you don't have a TV, radio, or rocket to build. I contacted Mike Fisher of Binder Design and picked up a few details of the Excel to model in OR.

Now full disclosure: This is based on the .rkt file of the Excel (single deploy) found on RocketReviews.com, so I can't vouch that the fins are a 100% accurate representation. The image was altered to turn the Excel decal upright. I may also have a reduced the size of the Binder Design Logo than it actually ships with.

Before sharing this file, I asked Mike if this was Ok to share, and was told that I can. The kit is currently available from Binder Design for $129.99 USD as a 38mm powered version, and for $139.99 USD as the 54mm powered version.

So, with that I present the Binder Design Excel (4 inch version) with the Dual Deploy kit (54mm Motor Mount):

This has been updated with features from OR 22.02.beta.01, to include the new rail buttons, and my new "chrome" paint graphic for the AV Bay. When the final version of OR 22.02 is released, I'll delete the older file.

PS Send Rockets!!!

PPS Thanks Mike!!!

Attachments

• Binder Design 4inch Excel Dual Deploy.ork
    42.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 1646018222850.png
    1646018222850.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Binder Design Excel 4 inch (Dual Deploy) .ork
    45.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Ok, I'm back to doing these (seeing how it's supposed to get to -15C/5F today, and remain that way for the next 4 days (not to forget the wind)) while I await receiving/locating a rocket to build.

So, with that... I'm Proud to Present the OOP Binder Design Excelerator Dual Deploy in a 75mm powered version (with my own custom paint job):

I know that only a few of these ever were sold (as a 54mm powered version), but as soon as I can get the scratch, I'm going to try to convince Mike to kit me another. Of course, I asked and received permission to share this.

[EDIT] I finaly managed to get my own Excelerator but I decided to go with the 54mm powered version. I've also updated the fin decals (taking the fin tabs into account), and changed up the livery a bit more to reflect more of the Velociraptor's appearance (I added the black bands).

Keep in mind, the fins are based on the .rkt files I found on rocket reviews, and cannot be trusted to 100%.

Oh, and for those who are interested in the stock look, Here it is:

excelerator.jpg

Image credit: Binder Design

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Attachments

• Binder Design 4inch Excelerator (Dual Deploy, 75mm Powered).ork
    42 KB · Views: 107
  • Binder Design 4inch Excelerator (Dual Deploy, 54mm Powered).ork
    50.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Any chance you could gather all the parts into a .zip file...

If the actual parts, (rather than a listing of the parts) is what you want, try the cardstock rocket section, you just have to print them at home, all parts are included, but some assembly is required. One of these days you might just be able to download and 3D print these open rocket files at home, viola! instant rocket, but where is the fun in that?

One of these days you might just be able to download and 3D print these open rocket files at home, viola! instant rocket, but where is the fun in that?

I agree, that would be no fun at all. I know that 3D printing has its place (e.g. reproducing rare parts), but if people could print the rockets from my files, they might save time and money by just buying RTF and ARF rockets from vendors.

Here's my take on the Estes Scion with the 2nd draft (corrected version) of the painting instructions.

The first version of the painting directions would have resulted in the fins being almost entirely blue.

And here's the paint scheme I'm leaning towards when I get a chance to finish mine (complete with rail buttons).

Both of these are now using the decal function of OR that I was finally able to create for them using neal_w's decal tutorial

Attachments

• Estes Scion (9712) second draft paint instructions.ork
    46.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Estes Scion (9712) Custom Paint scheme.ork
    48.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Here's another rocket that has me all hot and bothered... Binder Design's kit of the Aerospatiale Exocet MM38 Missile:

This is based on the March 1996 Revision of the instructions. Forward, Aft, and Tripler Fin dimensions were provided by the original .rkt file that I based this on (that being created by Mike Fisher). Notable differences. My sim has my "rail buttons" simulations, rather than the Launch lug, and it's missing the Exocet decal, as I haven't been able to ID the font used for it. The rounded edges of the conduits and vents are a best-as-I-can-do-with-my-resources situation (the actual shapes were provided by the instructions, but I now have no access to a scanner to digitize them). The Forward Fin Triplers were given a charcoal color to allow them to be visible in the images, in actuality, they'd be painted black. Also the triplers are actually eight fins (two per forward fin) and 1/8" thick each. I had to thicken them, and reduce the number to four for the sim. I did not try to match the kit's nosecone as it was inaccurate.

The second .ork file has been updated using information from a recently kitted rocket. I was told that it was equipped with a 4th CR and 1/4" thick fins rather than the old 3/16" thick ones. Other than that, they're pretty much identical.

[EDIT] In another thread, it was suggested that a recently kitted Exocet may have had a thrust ring included, which totally changes the back end of the rocket. So, I've modeled an update to the 2015 (I've named it the 2016 Update), and it's linked to below. Mike also informed me as to the font used... So, that's been added too.[/EDIT]

Permission was granted by Mike to share the files with everyone.

Now if I could only get someone to send me one of these kits... China doesn't have a very active rocketry scene... yet.

Attachments

• Binder Design Exocet MM38 Missile (2015 Revision).ork
    5.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Binder Design Exocet MM38 Missile (March 1996 Revision).ork
    5.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Binder Design Exocet MM38 Missile (2016 Update).ork
    12 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Here's another Exocet... The Estes Exocet MM38 (1925):

I'm getting to really enjoy the appearance tab of OR.

Attachments

• Estes Exocet MM38 (1925).ork
    12 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Today it's the Estes Neptune (1935)

Took a while to get the details for this one, finally got what I needed for it.

Attachments

• Estes Neptune (1935).ork
    8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Here's something fun for you to figure out K'Tesh.

For my L2 I got OR to provide me with and exploded view of my AMRAAM 4, complete with simulated beer bottle for size comparison :)

27bd3738d07ac399936c2d212c5f911c.jpg

Ok I must confess I did a tiny bit of an edit in paint to reposition the beer bottle and remove the CG/CP

Here's something fun for you to figure out K'Tesh.

For my L2 I got OR to provide me with and exploded view of my AMRAAM 4, complete with simulated beer bottle for size comparison :)

Ok I must confess I did a tiny bit of an edit in paint to reposition the beer bottle and remove the CG/CP

Ok, you've got me beat... I can't find anything that shows how to create an "exploded view" without doing some really tricky stuff (which I can do using phantom body tubes etc.) and then manipulating the results in Paint.

Ok, you've got me beat... I can't find anything that shows how to create an "exploded view" without doing some really tricky stuff (which I can do using phantom body tubes etc.) and then manipulating the results in Paint.

A basic method just moves the components along a vector in the direction from the assembly c.g. to the individual part c.g. Most CAD packages can do that, not sure if any of the model rocket sims can, might be a neat feature to request in a future version. That would be a very useful visual to go along with the parts listing.

So... Using my tricks I managed to do this:

I could also have edited out the CG/CP stuff, but it's late and I'm got a class tomorrow in the early (for me) AM.

Please spill those tricks!

It took some work... First I saved the file with a new name (I added "Exploded" to it). This way I wouldn't foul up my original file. Then I began the actual process by making a nosecone that was nothing long, nothing thick. A phantom body tube was used to "anchor" everything (except the "rail buttons") to. Next I changed everything's position relative to the nosecone. I took screen grabs from there, and then used Paint to fake it together with a view of the "intact" rocket (in 3D Unfinished View).

In this version, I've combined the two images above, and edited out the CG/CP markers by altering the weight of the nosecone and adding fins to move the markers to a place that I could easily crop them out of. Then I edited the image to show only what I wanted.

You might notice that I fixed a problem with the Excelerator's AV Bay Bulkheads and added a AV Bay Sled (to the exploded view). The AV Switch Band had to be "faked" using a coupler.

Attachments

• Binder Design 4inch Excelerator (Dual Deploy, 75mm Powered) Exploded.ork
    3.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Binder Design 4inch Excelerator (Dual Deploy, 75mm Powered).ork
    42 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
So... Using my tricks I managed to do this:

I could also have edited out the CG/CP stuff, but it's late and I'm got a class tomorrow in the early (for me) AM.

Nice, although I take it that is actually 2 pictures put together? You've definitely exploded more than I did, however beer bottle aside you can make OR do all the work for you. Some internal components can be offset, you just need to use an offset value that puts the part outside the rocket. By making the other interior parts children of one or two internal parts you can literally move all the internals out of the rocket then take a screen shot. Remove the offset and you have a normal working and accurate OR model.

When I get home I'll track down my sim file if you like. Have had computer issues lately as the kids filled my laptop up with milk :facepalm:

Nice, although I take it that is actually 2 pictures put together? You've definitely exploded more than I did, however beer bottle aside you can make OR do all the work for you. Some internal components can be offset, you just need to use an offset value that puts the part outside the rocket. By making the other interior parts children of one or two internal parts you can literally move all the internals out of the rocket then take a screen shot. Remove the offset and you have a normal working and accurate OR model.

When I get home I'll track down my sim file if you like. Have had computer issues lately as the kids filled my laptop up with milk :facepalm:

Correct, two different files, combined together. I hadn't thought of using the offset because it can't be used for all parts. Nice Hack.

I would like to see that file (provided that the moo juice didn't foul it up too much).

Last edited:
Here we go with another two stage payloader...The Estes Solar Flare (2401):

Thanks to the scans of the fins and decals from Marc_G, I'm satisfied that the .ork of this kit is reasonably accurate (with the possible exception of fin thickness). Once I verify the thicknesses, the .ork will be uploaded.

[EDIT]
This sim was lost with my HD crash back in Sept. 2016. Just as I was finishing up the sim for the 2nd time, this time with input from its designer, cabernut goes and sends me a developer's preview of the upcoming OR update. And it has new features. Problem is, the sims created by it are not ready for prime time. So, it's on hold again. However, I can give you a taste of what it'll look like.

This actually has genuine ring fins (however I have no idea on its accuracy in aerodynamic sims), and a clear payload section.

Last edited:
K'tesh,

Have you considered adding any of your OR tutorials to the Openrocket wikia? It would be useful there.

K'tesh,

Have you considered adding any of your OR tutorials to the Openrocket wikia? It would be useful there.

Somehow this managed to get by me... Sorry for the late reply.

The tutorials are archived here. I've barely visited the OR wiki, I haven't tried to do anything with them there.

I've edited in the decaled version of the Estes Cherokee D Pro Series II 2.5 inch Upscale into post #23.

Mind you, the decals on the fins required additional "fins" made of "air" to display correctly. I also had to shift them ever so slightly to prevent oddities in the display. So, it is up to the end user to keep these changes in mind.

Last edited:
My first rocket with a small launch pad set!

I have been thinking about an upscale for a level 2 project. Thank you for this file!

Ray
TRA04700

Back