K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the Estes Optima (2035)... I've created sims for the stock color schemes, my 29mm redshifted clone, and a dual deploy version that I'd like to build some day.

The fin decals on this (the yellow) version do not match the instructions' arrangement, but you can do that on your own if you want (looks odd to me).

Here's the blue/grey version

and what I'd do instead (black and white):

As well as the version with the black nosecone/forward airframe... As I guess was intended from the instructions:

And what I'd do instead (less masking involved (thus easier painting)):

The 29mm clones have nearly identical appearances to the stock models. However, I've eliminated the launch lug, and gone with rail buttons. These sims are what I was able to accomplish with the current version of OR. I understand in the future, rail button support will be added. So, I'll be updating these again at some time.

In the updated versions the "fin decals" which were simulated with fins, have been replaced with "decals" and thus the old versions are obsolete, and should be discarded.

Each of the previous versions of the files were downloaded an average of 120 times.

Attachments

• Estes Optima (2035)(29mm DD Mod).ork
    20.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Estes Optima (2035)(Stock)(Blue and Grey).ork
    14 KB · Views: 141
  • Estes Optima (2035)(Stock)(Long Black Top).ork
    14 KB · Views: 135
  • Estes Optima (2035)(Stock)(Black Bottom).ork
    14 KB · Views: 133
  • Estes Optima (2035)(Stock)(Short Black Top).ork
    14.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Estes Optima (2035)(Stock)(Black, White, and Yellow).ork
    14.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Estes Optima (2035)(29mm mod)(Black,White,Yellow).ork
    12.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Here it is folks... The Estes Photon Disruptor II (2052):

Estes Photon Disruptor II (2052) Stock

I'm quite pleased with this one. I did move the launch lug forward 1/4" (it's supposed to be flush with the end of the forward body tube, other than that it's stock(except for the phantom body tube needed to "install" the tip plate fins)(actual max diameter 1.325"(BT-55)))

I had no idea that this was an upscale of the original Photon Disruptor (1282) (as seen below):

Estes Photon Disruptor (1282) Stock

I downloaded the fin template for the Photon Disruptor (1282)(from JimZ's site), and it shows that the tip plate fins have rounded corners. However, I'm not able to model at this time with OR. The tip plate fins also have a rectangular hole in the center to accept a tab found on the main fin, but I wasn't able to model that. Due to the phantom body tube needed for the tip plate fins, the diameter is WAY off (actual max diameter of the rocket is .976" (BT-50)).

I also moved the launch lug forward 3/4" for aesthetic reasons, and the rotational location of the launch lug and the engine hook are a best guess, as I'm not able to measure the alignment line it's supposed to be on (but it stands to reason that it would be 30 degrees offset from the main and secondary fins). I modeled the Retainer Ring (type HR-20) as a thick object, it would actually be much thinner (but it still needs to go OVER the launch lug) I don't have a retainer ring to measure, so I guessed that it's 3/8" long, but it could be as much as 1/2" long.

I've yet to crack open my latest Photon Disruptor (3025) to compare it with its predecessor (but from the instructions, it looks virtually identical to the 2052 (except for the "II" on the decal sheet)).

Attachments

• Estes Photon Disruptor II (2052).ork
    3 KB · Views: 270
  • Estes Photon Disruptor (1282).ork
    3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
I've always felt that the Photon Probe and the Photon Disruptor were related kits.... Are they really? I don't know. That said, I think it's time to upload my sims of the Photon Probe (2048):

In the updated .ork file, I've restored this to a stock configuration *EXCEPT* to prevent the need of a pod or a PBT for the Dorsal fins, I've extended them 1/8" (basically, I lengthened them to give them a "fin tab"). The previous version of the .ork has modifications that were not stock, and lacks the decals.

BTW: The original version of the Photon Probe lacked specific instructions on painting the rocket. However in the modern release of the Photon Probe (3026), the instructions give the purple section as 3.25" from the front of the body tube and extending to 7.5" from the back of the body tube (making it 7.25" long).

The 3026 version was supposed to ship with a balsa nosecone, however I've never heard of one that actually shipped with them "due to the world shortage in balsa". This sim is relying on the PNC-55AO nosecone that my sample came with.

In reading the new version's instructions, I was surprised to see them recommend Testors paints and lacquers for the finish.

FWIW there's were no difference between the old .ork files other than the comments and the engine hook. The updated files have a number of differences, including the decals, part numbers, and details based on the instructions. The older (2048) version's instructions didn't have the builder round the fins, whereas the later (3026) does. This would explain the altitude differences.

Share and Enjoy!

Previous version of the 2048 MOD version downloaded 95 times. Previous version of the 3026 MOD version downloaded 102 times.

Attachments

• Estes Photon Probe (2048).ork
    21.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Estes Photon Probe (3026).ork
    12.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Today's addition is the update to the Estes Crossfire ISX (7220).

A few points to make about the .ork file:

CAVEAT: For best results, connect the points from the rear edge of the root cord to the rear edge of the tip cord when cutting out the fins to ensure that the trailing edge is straight (then cut the notch).​
Thanks to the addition of pods in OR 22.02, the Stabilizing Strakes are able to be properly positioned, and with the new way of having separate appearances for fin decals the air fins I used are now gone. I've modeled the stock appearance. All previous versions of the sim are outdated and should be replaced with the new file available below.
If you attempt to scale the rocket, but do not maintain the scale thickness of the fins, the notch will either be too large or small for the proper mounting of the Stabilizing Strakes, so try to keep that in mind. To get them to look and position correctly, I had to "split them" down the middle. Each strake should be made from single pieces of balsa.
The .pdf file I've included has all the fins (no "decal" fins, nor the engine hook (which is also simulated with a fin)) for you to print out. Or you can print the image below and scale it from that.
Previous sim viewed 158 times

Attachments

• Estes Crossfire ISX (7220) Fin Templates.pdf
    1.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Estes Crossfire ISX (7220).ork
    825.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Attachments

• Estes Nova Payloader (1960) (Stock).ork
    3.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
are you perchance familiar with the Estes BNC55am nose? it is for the 'A-20 Demon' (K-58). length 4.2" base diameter 1.325" cone w/ hemi tip. I should be able to post more info after I get one from erockets(just ordered it). thanks
Rex

are you perchance familiar with the Estes BNC55am nose? it is for the 'A-20 Demon' (K-58). length 4.2" base diameter 1.325" cone w/ hemi tip. I should be able to post more info after I get one from erockets(just ordered it). thanks
Rex

Hi Rex,

I'm aware of the A-20 Demon, but I never built one, and don't have the nosecone in my fleet.

I'm guessing that this is a request for me to create one of my sims for the Demon?

Here's what I know about the kit (thanks to the people who compiled the body tube sizes for the various kits) in the Estes Body Tube/Kit Reference.pdf file.

Demon BT-55 (18.00")/BT-55S (4.00")/BT-50J (2.75")

All The Best!
Jim

Last edited:
well I was looking at nose cones etc. for a replacement nose for my 'Red Baron kit' (to say that the stock nose shoulder may require light sanding to fit, is an understatement :)), and found that E-Rockets had made a demon cone(I had suggested this) I felt compelled to add it to my order. the rocksim file on rocketreviews has an elliptical nose(well it is at least the right length) instead of the proper nose, so I may need help getting the right shape in OR.
saw this listed and thought of you, FlisKits Flying Model Rocket Kit K'TNG'A FR014 (not in stock at the moment).
Rex

NOTICE: My .ork files are intended to give the user the most accurate possible simulation needed to create for themselves an exact as possible clone of the original rocket. Due to my use of "Phantom body tubes" and "Fin decals" to place things like launch lugs, stand-offs, engine hooks, decals, etc., the performance of the simulation will most likely NOT match the actual rocket. As such, it is up to the end user to update the downloaded file to suit their needs for flight performance.

I've added this reminder due to some concerns expressed to me by an individual via PM. I've also edited it into the OP.

The important thing to remember is the thread is intended to allow users to recreate the rockets they've loved in the past, and get them right. All to often rockets that are built from .rkt files that have been posted on RocketReviews.com have errors with the fins, body tube lengths, nosecone shapes, etc.. This results in noticeable errors out on the flightline (Prime Example, the talon fins on the Binder Design Velociraptor (which was deliberate)), and can be compounded when someone builds something from them, then creates their own sim based on that, then posts that online (Think: the Mailman game where someone says a sentence to a person, then they say it to another, and after several iterations the sentence has been completely changed by the time it gets back to the first person). I also "build" my sims to match (as best as possible) the original appearance of the design. I frequently like the original designs, and want to preserve them rather than having a boring plain jane/unfinished appearance.

Basically, if a person were to build a clone of a rocket based on the information I've provided, and use the stock recommendations for engines, they should have similar results to the original kits. My upscales may not perform as OR predicts due to the differences.

Hopefully, OpenRocket will continue its development to take the modifications I've made into account, so that we can not only get the right appearance in our sims, but the correct performance of them too.

Last edited:
well I was looking at nose cones etc. for a replacement nose for my 'Red Baron kit' (to say that the stock nose shoulder may require light sanding to fit, is an understatement :)), and found that E-Rockets had made a demon cone(I had suggested this) I felt compelled to add it to my order. the rocksim file on rocketreviews has an elliptical nose(well it is at least the right length) instead of the proper nose, so I may need help getting the right shape in OR.
saw this listed and thought of you, FlisKits Flying Model Rocket Kit K'TNG'A FR014 (not in stock at the moment).
Rex

Dang, now you tell me... Last night while I was awake and in pain (moved a lot of furniture yesterday), I worked on a Demon, based on the info I could find. Didn't upload it yet as I still have to get the fins' measurements.

If the Red Barron is the kit I think it is, I won't be able to simulate that very accurately (due to the wings)... The nosecone, that I can certainly do.

well the glider is kind of like the force, either it works or it does not. Don (Squirrelworks) has an upscale version and if I want to 'play' with the basic design I'll hunt up the Estes 'flying Jenny' :), so I wouldn't worry about it. the demon is a 4fnc hard part is the nose and I will not be able to do anything build wise until it and the rest of the order shows up(I would guess Friday). looking at the rkt file and the instructions, the design file would seem to be reasonably accurate aside from the nose cone. knew a friend who had one years ago...it was fairly stable even w/ only 3 fins(he didn't like those messy filets messing up his paint jobs :)).
Rex

This one is dedicated to Mike Dorffler (1946-2010). The Estes Astron Sprint XL (7224):

The updated file has now got decals, but it also has "Air Fins" to give the correct appearance. I've attached those to a "Phantom Body Tube" for easy management of them. If you delete that PBT, it will eliminate the fake fins, their decals, and likely give a more accurate flight characteristic. However, I've also added a PBT to add a simulated engine hook, and more PBTs for the engine hook's tunnel. As such, the file will likely not give you a realistic performance simulation. As always... YMMV.

A careful observer may note that the name decal isn't oriented towards the body tube... To that I'll say, it was too much work to try to do. The most recent versions have the decals corrected. I've learned a lot since I started doing these more detailed sims, and it's getting easier. You can download the Estes Astron Sprint XL (7224).ork file or the
Estes Astron Sprint XL (7224)(Retro Paint Scheme).ork for the absolutely most up to date versions of it.
[/EDIT]

OK... I've gotten better at simming fin's decals... Here's the original Estes Astron Sprint (K-49):

The nosecone is the default OR shape for the BNC-50X as I don't have an original modeled for me. I suspect the actual shape has a "blunter" nosecone. I had to add an "Air fin" it to allow the name decal to not appear mirrored. Delete the PBT that the "Air Fin" is attached to, and the sim would be quite suitable for aerodynamic simulations. Markings are based on the decals scanned, and the 1983 Estes Catalog. Every effort was made to make this reflect the kit as it would have appeared otherwise.

Instructions are available from JimZ's site: https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-49.htm
There's also a .pdf file linked there, but it didn't load for me at this time: https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-49.pdf

Previous version of the Sprint XL (7224) Stock.ork file was downloaded 120 times, the "Stock, Decaled" version was downloaded 33 times.

Estes Sprint XL (7224) Fin Template.jpg

Estes Sprint (K-49) Fin template.jpg

Previous version of the Sprint XL downloaded 216 times, Sprint XL Retro Paint Scheme 176 times, and the K-49 186 times.

Attachments

• Estes Astron Sprint XL (7224).ork
    20.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Estes Astron Sprint XL (7224)(Retro Paint Scheme).ork
    16 KB · Views: 176
  • Estes Astron Sprint (K-49).ork
    97.7 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Tonight I've got the Estes A-20 Demon (K-58) as a clone using the Semroc BNC-55AM nosecone.
https://flic.kr/p/tbWYUD

While this sim is not intended for giving flight characteristics (it is for building an accurate clone of the original), it might be fairly accurate, as long as the end user updates the weights of the components, and the CG. It uses a Phantom Body tube for the Engine Hook, which gives error messages about discontinuity in the diameter, and jagged fins.

Nosecone info provided to me by Rex R.

[EDIT] The error with the engine mount Rex noted below has been corrected. [/EDIT]
[EDIT] The file has now been updated to include decals. Decals were derived from the scans found on JimZ website. I omitted the Estes Logo decals to prevent the need for an air fin. There is still a PBT for the engine hook. I was forced to use grey to simulate the chrome decals due to the file size limitations imposed by TRF.

Previous version viewed 66 times.

Attachments

• Estes A-20 Demon (K-58) (Clone with Semroc BNC-55AM nosecone).ork
    17.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
couple of nits, your forward centering ring doesn't actually do anything(it is to far forward to center the motor mount tube), and the aft launch lug (near as I can tell) ought to be a 1/4" further aft.
I had wondered where to put a built thread(no you haven't missed anything) until I ran a full set of flight sims...1900' on an F12, right, low power it is :).
Rex

couple of nits, your forward centering ring doesn't actually do anything(it is to far forward to center the motor mount tube), and the aft launch lug (near as I can tell) ought to be a 1/4" further aft.
I had wondered where to put a built thread(no you haven't missed anything) until I ran a full set of flight sims...1900' on an F12, right, low power it is :).
Rex

Hi Rex,

Thanks for catching the error with the engine mount. I've fixed it (above). I've also checked the LL placement, and from what I can see in the instructions, it looks good (there's no exact number given on the instruction as to where it belongs). I've also added black bands to the "decal" that wraps the payload section, added the fin "decals" and updated the widths of the decals on the fin can.

The problem about the flight characteristics is due to the use of the phantom body tube (for the engine hook). I also haven't weighted all the components, I just use what OR gives as a default on that.

All The Best!
Jim

Thanks for the work on these things! Surprised no one has done a 29mm motor/BT80 upscale of the Photon family yet. :surprised:

Couldn't sleep... Banged this out instead... Estes Apache-2 (1388):

[EDIT] I Re-worked the Apache-2 (1388) to include decals. Mind you, these were manipulated images. So, don't use them for your own project (Use this scan instead). Also, to do the fin decals properly, I had to add an "Air fins", which can influence aerodynamic sim performance. To counter this, just delete the PBT they are attached to, and you'll have a flight worthy sim.

Of course the Apache-2 is the same rocket as the Centuri Tiger Streak (5357), just with different markings (and "manufacturer"):

Like the Apache-2, the Tiger Streak has decals on one side of the fins only, and to simulate that, I had to add air fins. I've attached them to a PBT for easy removal for anyone who wants to get flight info on this rocket.

The previous version of the Tiger Streak was downloaded 79 times. The prevous "stock" version of the Apache-2 was downloaed 89 times, and the "stock, decaled" version was downloaded 43 times.

Attachments

• Centuri Tiger Streak (5357).ork
    14.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Estes Apache 2 (1388).ork
    17.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Another sleepless night... Another simulation... This morning, I worked up a .ork file for the Estes Wizard (1292) in its original color scheme. I also learned during my research that it apparently originally came with a BNC-20N (Balsa), and was later switched to the PNC-20A (Injection Molded) nosecone (as this simulation shows).

BTW, I figured out how to make color bands appear on the launch lug... The process is similar to my trick for creating them on the body tube. I use launch lugs the length of the band, and oversize the diameter by .001 larger than the normal LL, and move them into place. I'm happy with this trick, but a little concerned about how it's going to work for the real thing. In other words, is the decal long enough to wrap around the body tube and the launch lug, or will I need to trim it and paint the bands?

[EDIT] The answer to the question was "No". The Wizard's wrap decal wasn't long enough to go around the Body Tube, and Launch Lug. I've updated the file with decals, and corrected the image to reflect the change). The additional aforementioned bands (for the Body Tube and Launch Lug) were removed. [/EDIT]

I've also got a BT-60 upscale in mind for this, but it's not ready yet.

Previous version of the .ork file was downloaded 48 times.

Attachments

• Estes Wizard (1292) Original Livery (Injection Molded Nosecone)(Stock, Decaled).ork
    10.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I've also got a BT-60 upscale in mind for this, but it's not ready yet.

Ha! I've been working on 2 D cluster BT80 upscale! Almost have the sim where I want it, will probably start work on it soon. I just have to figure out if 2 Ds will have enough ejection charge for the whole thing or if I should go with tubes.

I'm also about half done with a DD version of the 29mm Optima that you posted above.

THANKS for the work on these, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Ha! I've been working on 2 D cluster BT80 upscale! Almost have the sim where I want it, will probably start work on it soon. I just have to figure out if 2 Ds will have enough ejection charge for the whole thing or if I should go with tubes.

I'm also about half done with a DD version of the 29mm Optima that you posted above.

THANKS for the work on these, I really appreciate it.

Thanks!

For your build, I'd say a stuffer tube (or two) would probably be a good idea... I'm basing this on the Optima/Shadow, and how Estes handled it.

Now I'm thinking that I should make a 2" PSII based upscale of the Wizard... Hmm... Argent nosecone, the rest a true upscale... Hmmm...

Last edited:
I had to open up the Photon Disruptor file just to see how you managed the perpendicular tips on the fins. Clever hack! :cool:

Unfortunately, that approach will only get you rectangular tips. I'm nonetheless gonna try it with my Solar Warrior model and see how it looks, despite the fact that the tips on the Solar Warrior are not rectangular. It should still look better than no tips at all.

I really wish OpenRocket supported fins attached to fins. :sad: I know RockSim does but for my ultra-casual use I couldn't justify the expense.

Hi K'tesh, do you have an OR file for the Estes Rogue voyager ?

Yes that is very difficult, looking to convert to a cluster. I'll search around for a CP which is really what I'm after. Thanks for your response.

Got your message, thanks for your response. Here are some
Pictures. The reason I'm wanting this is I want to possibly cluster this so I will need nose weight. I'm am looking for CP so I can set my CG.
Certainly don't feel obligated to OR this, just was asking since your the master at OR.

I did email Estes for the CP request recently but not sure when to expect a response.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441823793.927944.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441823808.019900.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441823822.447096.jpg

First of all: that came out lovely.

Next, you should be able to get an accurate read on the CG by entering tube fins with length equal to the "average" (or length to the mid-point of the bevel on the front).

Fins could be mounted to the tubes by using an invisible large body tube of zero length (so as to not alter the CG). I don't know if OR computes the CP correctly in this case; I know it has terrible trouble with the drag, and you end up with worthless flight simulations. But maybe it'll know how to to CP, dunno.

Last edited:
One of my favorite rockets is the Estes Magnum Payloader (2032). Here's what it looked like in stock configuration... ...
Thanks for posting this one. This was the last rocket I flew as a teenager back in 1991. It failed on it's maiden launch due to, I believe, second stage engine not being firmly seated and preferring to pop out the back rather than ejecting the parachute.
I will be recreating this model with off-the-shelf 2015 parts and two 24mm engines after I finish the two I'm building now. This file will help a LOT in working out which engines to build for. Thanks again.

Ok... seeing how popular the Magnum is, I decided to take a moment and finally figure out what I did wrong on the fins.

I figured it out. I went with what I was measuring off of the image (the attached .pdf file on the post), instead of using common sense. The aft fins should be 2.75" at the root edge, and I had it at something like 2.6875". I've redone all the .ork files, and updated the images too (to reflect a more accurate blue color). Now the Mods and the Stock designs should be interchangeable when it comes to the boosters.

Sorry for the long delay in doing that. Trying to graduate, and get everything ready for my move and all.

Latest posts

Back