Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Today, it's my first rocket. The Estes Spin Fin (1355):

My science teacher, Mr. Deller, had an assortment of rockets, and we drew straws for our place to pick. I was one of the last to get to pick, I can't remember what else was available for me to choose, but this was the best of what was left. I don't have any photos of it (it was downright FUGLY). I didn't fill the balsa (nor paper it), and out of frustration, I finally just glued the alignment guide to the body tube, and the fins to that. As I said, it wasn't pretty. The rocket flew once or twice before it was destroyed in an accident that crushed the body tube and broke the fins.

To add the logos to the fin, I had to add an "Air Fin" and a PBT. So, the flight characteristics are suspect (if run w/o deleting the PBT with the "Air fin"). The image above shows what it sims at w/o them (I suspect it'll go much much higher still). I'll point out that I don't have the exact specs on the nosecone, but it is based on specs found in the 1974 Estes Custom Parts Catalog because I don't have an original anymore.

I've also simmed this with the straight flight alignment of the fins.

This also has the PBT and "Air Fin" and the image shows altitude projections w/o them included.

Thanks to caveduck and everybody who helped me identify the specs on the streamer (1.125" x 30").

Instructions and decals were found on JimZ's site:
    http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1355.pdf

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 27th January 2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post

...I finally just glued the alignment guide to the body tube, and the fins to that. As I said, it wasn't pretty.
    You sound like some of my Rocket Camp kids. Man, did they make some... interesting rockets!

Daniel J. Petrie - The Rocket N00b - NAR # 100015
    rocketn00b.blogspot.com
    facebook.com/rocketn00b
    YouTube: youtube.com/TheRocketN00b Twitter: @rocketn00b
    The Rocketry Show Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by lcorinth View Post
    You sound like some of my Rocket Camp kids. Man, did they make some... interesting rockets!
    I got better.

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Today, I've got the Estes Army Hawk (2031):

The measurements, decals, and documentation was found over on YORF
    . Nothing really special was needed to do this sim, so it should be fairly accurate for flight simulation purposes.

Simming this kit can be blamed on Kruegon. Thanks to everyone who provided info for the sim. Especially Bill Eichelberger for his scans of the decals and instructions.

Ok... I'm tired of not posting things due to the near future update of OpenRocket. I'm going to post this anyway. This is a speculation on a version of the Estes Scorpion (1333):

It uses a PNC-50Y nosecone, which I haven't been able to prove was used in this kit or not. However, I do know the EXACT shape of the earliest PRP-1H nosecone (PN 32492), and there is a strong chance that with the update to OR, I will be able to recreate its shape perfectly. The dimensional drawings I have of the nosecone (and the fincan) unfortunately cannot be shared due to an agreement with the person who supplied it to me. When OR can recreate the shape accurately, I'll post an updated .ork file using its info. Another guess is that the PRP-1G Plastic Fin Unit (PN 32493) shipped with the PNC-50Y, and not the later Plastic Fin Unit (PN 73405) found on today's Mongoose.

I am always looking for variations on kits designs. So, if you happen to find the instructions showing this to be accurate, please PM me, and I'll arrange to get the info shared.

Thanks to JumpJet for his assistance on this kit.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 19th February 2017 at 05:22 AM.

how near in the future? haven't heard of much coming up about OR.

fm
    "What'd I learn after 20 years of service? That EA-6B's, F-18D/G's, P-3A/B/C's, A-6's are in real life very large..."
    L1 - Madcow 2.6 Arcas / First Flight / AT100W-14 / May 7th, 2016
    L2 - Madcow 4.0 AGM-58 / Assembly postponed indefinitely
    L3 - Scratch Upscale ASM (just a dream now)

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Metal View Post
    how near in the future? haven't heard of much coming up about OR.

fm
    Unclear. There are many bugs still to be squashed, and some features to iron out as well. I think it's fair to say that it's close to the end of the dev cycle for this release, but whether that means weeks or months or whatever is very hard to guess.

K'Tesh

Been working on a paint pattern for the Estes Hercules
    I moved the decal to one fin that when you put the rocket on the launch rod the fin sticks down and you can see the decal on both sides of the fin
    The black side of the fin is where I had trouble applying the reverse side of the decal. The launch rod goes between the 2 two tone fins

I am in the process of scaling the rockets below up to a 4 inch PML airframe with clear payload sections

Estes Maxi Icarus

Estes Hercules

Centuri Payloader 2

Centuri Pay Dirt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hercules paint test.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	317083  

K tesh. How do I go about ordering decals using you ork files
    NAR 69325
    Ky. BluesRocks and Wright Stuff Rocketry
    Level 1 certified CTI H133
    Level 2 certified CTI J520SK
    Level 3 Gonna be with a LOC Precision Bruiser EXP 3 on a Aerotech M1297 does not start producing motors again probably sometime in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by apburner View Post
    Try emailing stickershock w/ a link to what you're wanting to do?

Quote Originally Posted by dhbarr View Post
    Try emailing stickershock w/ a link to what you're wanting to do?
    The "decals" that I have are typically graphic files that I have downloaded from one of the sites that hosts old instructions and scans of the fins/decals. They often are "cleaned up" by me to remove odd color blotches, etc. The "decals" are also part of the "paint" on the files, and as such, are not suitable for use as a source for printing your own.

Other than Stickershock, Tango Papa is a good source for decals.

Is there anyway I could ask for the BT60 Velociraptor be changed to a single stage. I don't feel like I am good enough to be messing with such a complex design.
    Thanks
    Steve
    NAR 69325
    Level 3 Gonna be with a LOC Precision Bruiser EXP 3 on a Aerotech M1297 does not start producing motors again probably sometime in 2017

Is there anyway I could ask for the BT60 Velociraptor be changed to a single stage. I don't feel like I am good enough to be messing with such a complex design.
    Thanks
    Steve
    That will have to wait until Monday. My work week is the weekend, and I have a full dance card until it is over.

No rush. Just need to figure an accurate flight for the motors I may use. Rockets still in dry dock.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	velociraptor.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	321795
    NAR 69325

The single stage, downscaled version of the Velociraptor is done... Sims out to just under 1400' on an E12-8

The .ork file has been added to post #24, along with the original file for the downscale Velociraptor, and Raptor.

Wow that was quick Many thanks
    NAR 69325

Thanks to Randy Boadway, and his crew at eRockets/Semroc I am able to share one of their newest designs with you all... The Semroc Lil' Augie (KA-38)

The Lil' Augie's sim was too complicated to give any flight characteristics (because of the shroud and staging method). So, this is for looks only, and might help people wrap their heads around how it works. The kit is now available from erockets.biz.

When I first looked at the cost of the kit I was like, "What?!" Then I realized it was for staged 29mm BP and I was like, "Cool!"
    NAR # 37682

All the weird kids are doing it!

If at first you don't succeed... You're about average.

Western Kansas where rockets can roam free
    I like!
    NAR # 91455

I'm rather partial to the Scorpion and Stiletto.
    NAR # 91455

Quote Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
    I like!
    Thanks!

I'm rather partial to the Scorpion and Stiletto.
    Good choices!

Been doing some work on this now... The Semroc Farside-X (FV-95)

eRockets.biz is releasing their version of the Estes Astron Farside-X (K-12X) later this week (IINM), and have OK'd me posting this .ork file. If you want to clone it, you can get all the parts you need in a convenient kit soon.

I'd release my .ork of the Astron Farside-X, when I can find a file for the decal(s). The .ork is done, but the visual work is lacking.

I tried to open it,but apparently Rocksim will no longer open,Open Rocket files. I'm intrigued by that fin layout. You have some really nice stuff!
    NAR # 91455

I tried to open it,but apparently Rocksim will no longer open,Open Rocket files. I'm intrigued by that fin layout. You have some really nice stuff!
    Change the filename .ork extension to .rkt (if you didnt try it already) maybe that will work. However K'tesh's ork file are heavily modified from the .rkt they might have originally been based on.
    Rich

NAR# 99154

L3-4x upscale Estes Cherokee-D- AT M1297W 5/28/2016 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...r-rharshberger

TriCities Rocketeers NAR section# 736 http://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by rharshberger View Post
    Change the filename .ork extension to .rkt (if you didnt try it already) maybe that will work. However K'tesh's ork file are heavily modified from the .rkt they might have originally been based on.
    While a few of my sims may have started as .rkt files based on rocketreviews' files, the vast majority of them are done from scratch.

IINM, Rocksim wasn't able to open .ork files. However, if you download OR, you can save the files as as .rkt files, and *should* be able to view them in Rocksim. I have no idea as to how that software will respond to all the tricks I've had to pull to get things right (phantom body tubes and the like). I highly doubt that the graphics will be able to make the change.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openrocket/

Done and done. I really would like to build and fly the Shark. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    While a few of my sims may have started as .rkt files based on rocketreviews' files, the vast majority of them are done from scratch.

IINM, Rocksim wasn't able to open .ork files. However, if you download OR, you can save the files as as .rkt files, and *should* be able to view them in Rocksim. I have no idea as to how that software will respond to all the tricks I've had to pull to get things right (phantom body tubes and the like). I highly doubt that the graphics will be able to make the change.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openrocket/
    NAR # 91455

After a long wait... Some computer problems (last year), and a little help from my friends (I get by with a little help from my friends... I get high (altitudes) with a little help from my friends) I've got something I think you'll love... The updated versions of the Estes Optima (2035).

Go and check them out in post #61. Old versions of the .ork files had fins for decals (and thus are obsolete and should be tossed). The new ones have "decals on fins".

I think they look a whole lot better now:

than they did...

Fine work, as always!

Quote Originally Posted by dhbarr View Post
    Fine work, as always!
    Thanks!

Today I finally broke down and added the Estes Icarus (1277) in both the version that will work with OR version 15.03, and what I was able to do with the developer's version.

Mind you, with the clear body tube segment, there's an issue with the clarity of the "paint", and the image above was cleaned up using more OR magic.

You can download both versions of the file in post #33