Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
    Today I'm adding the Estes Gemini DC (2136):

However, this was done using the Developer's update, and not OR Ver. 15.03. So, if you haven't got that version, nor a more recent update, it likely won't work properly.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Question Please Elaborate....

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    As promised...

---->>>> (At least THIS Big Daddy won't lawndart) <<<<----

Fin measurements and decals were taken from scans provided by Kruegon.

My fins (using Kruegon's scan) was 1/16" different from his .rkt file. I printed the fins with the ruler, then cut the ruler out and used it to make my measurements.
    Lawndart?
    I ask because I recently purchased this kit and I would to know if there is an issue with the stock design, BEFORE I build it.

Oh btw....
    Thank you for the amazing work you have done in this thread. Man, I remember as a kid drooling many many hours over Estes and Centuri catalogs, just wishing I had some real money for all the kits I wanted to own.

Peace,
    Tobor

Quote Originally Posted by Tobor View Post
    Lawndart?
    I ask because I recently purchased this kit and I would to know if there is an issue with the stock design, BEFORE I build it.

Oh btw....
    Thank you for the amazing work you have done in this thread. Man, I remember as a kid drooling many many hours over Estes and Centuri catalogs, just wishing I had some real money for all the kits I wanted to own.

Peace,
    Tobor
    Hi Tobor,

Thanks for the compliment... I'm currently living and working in China. So, I'm stuck looking at .pdf files and drooling about building kits. At least with OR, I can get some of the fun...

About the Big Daddy... The shape of the shoulder on the nosecone seems to promote the ejection charge "venting" without deploying the chute. Lots of Big Daddy kits have lawndarted. There are a lot of workarounds that people have done. For me, I'd just glue some foam to the "ramp" and shape it to fit inside the body tube, and thus eliminate the possibility of if venting.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...f-Hands-Please

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...e-Mod-question

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    Hi Tobor,

Thanks for the compliment... I'm currently living and working in China. So, I'm stuck looking at .pdf files and drooling about building kits. At least with OR, I can get some of the fun...

About the Big Daddy... The shape of the shoulder on the nosecone seems to promote the ejection charge "venting" without deploying the chute. Lots of Big Daddy kits have lawndarted. There are a lot of workarounds that people have done. For me, I'd just glue some foam to the "ramp" and shape it to fit inside the body tube, and thus eliminate the possibility of if venting.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...f-Hands-Please

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...e-Mod-question
    Oh okay, I see. Thx for the Big Daddy info and the links. I'll adjust my build of it accordingly.

Peace,
    Tobor

Probably one of the most challenging LPR designs I've ever attempted... Estes QCC Explorer (3221):

Markings are based on an actual set of decals I have with me, and a .jpg image I scanned back when I was still using .jpg files (.png files give less artifacts IMHO, and are a better format for saving images in). I needed to use "Air fins" to eliminate the decals from the sides of the intakes from being visible on the interior of the intakes. I also spit the "intake splitter" in half to eliminate the decals showing on the underside of it.

Measurements are based on an actual sample I have here (unassembled), and information provided to me by John Boren, the designer of this kit. I didn't sim the intakes interiors, nor the notching pattern used to align it. If you'd like to clone the kit, I'd suggest getting the parts for it from your favorite LHS, or dealer in the handy kit form (everything you need is in there except for the tools and finishing supplies needed to build it).

Due to the nature of the developer's version of OR (OR 15.03dev) needed to complete this, the pods (Yes, pods...) needed to do the intake's complicated shapes, and decal patterns, the file you'll see will be a hot mess (presuming you have the developer's version)(as seen below)

Name:  Estes QCC Explorer (3221) Hot Mess.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  27.5 KB

This is due to some weirdness in the pod support. The number of pods need to be >=2, but OR doesn't mirror the pods correctly, so you are forced to use a pod count of 1 (which doesn't save properly... AAAAARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!! To help with this, I've indicated where the pods and fins need to adjusted to get back to the intended appearance. At this time, I'm unaware of any support for the flight characteristics.

Opening it up in OR 15.03 and You'll see this:

Name:  Estes QCC Explorer (3221) Hot Mess  OR 15.03.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  29.2 KB

Thanks to John Boren for the help he gave me on simming this up.

That's awesome, Jim.
    Charles McGonegal
    Ciderwright at AeppelTreow Winery & Distillery
    www.appletrue.com
    NAR #103560 L1 6/25/17 Estes Leviathan CTI H175-SS
    Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles_McG View Post
    That's awesome, Jim.
    Thanks!

Now that's quite amazing.

I'm getting antsy waiting for them to release the new version. (18.06?)

I actually just made a QCC sim with block fins standing in for the intakes assemblies. Its way too optimistic in its results though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    Now that's quite amazing.

I'm getting antsy waiting for them to release the new version. (18.06?)

I actually just made a QCC sim with block fins standing in for the intakes assemblies. Its way too optimistic in its results though.
    Thanks!

Is your sim something like this?

Name:  Estes QCC Explorer (3221)(Block Fins).jpg
Views: 162
Size:  29.3 KB

Yeah, I tried that too... This is a *slightly* refined version of my first draft (it has decals) The intakes are solid, and visually have square edges on the splitter plate and the intake standoff. This version is nowhere nearly as accurate as the 15.03dev version. However, it will give flight performance. YMMV.

[EDIT] I tried to add the image and the .ork file to the first QCC post, however I keep getting an error message that says that chrome has detected a phone number, password, or credit card number and blocks it. Weird... I didn't know I had someone else's phone number, password, or credit card number in this file, 'cause I sure as hell didn't add it to my post intentionally.

Hah! No, I just had the four fins, and four block trapezoids that matched the angles of the intakes. Did you use a phantom tube to get the bottom of the intakes offset from the tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    Hah! No, I just had the four fins, and four block trapezoids that matched the angles of the intakes. Did you use a phantom tube to get the bottom of the intakes offset from the tube?
    Yes, I used a PBT to make them seat properly.

Ok... Here's another one that I've been working on for a while... The Estes Mars Snooper (K-20):

Yes, it has pods... And that means that it's using the developer's version of OR (15.03dev). So, it doesn't save right... But this is what you can do with OR (and a lot of patience).

Here's what it looks like after a close and reopen... ugh... I have documented all the pods to make sure I can undo the mess caused by OR's pod requirements of 2 or more.

Name:  Estes Mars Snooper (K-20) after reopen.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  26.1 KB

Thanks to Randy Boadway (eRockets) for his help with this sim (fin and decals). JimZ's site provided the instructions I used...

The original file I tried to upload was nearly 7 times too large to upload to the forums... It took several attempts before I was able to attach the file (thus the "image lite" remark in the file name).

And for today... It's the Estes Blue Bird Zero (1335):

I actually had to buy one of these (Rainbow hang tag) to get the fin dimensions as nobody had an unbuilt kit to scan the fins and decals in. JimZ's site had a drawing of the fins, and a scan of the decals, but nothing to give the dimensions.

If you do build this kit, make sure to do a good job on the motor mount. My stepbrother didn't and we had an.... uhmmmm.... Interesting? Yeah... Interesting time (dodging it as it didn't flight straight or true).

On a more personal note, while I like this design a lot, I don't like the Nazi vibe that it gives off (thanks to that eagle). I agree with Mel Brooks, Nazi's should be made to look like the fools they were and are. As such, mine will be used to get Moose and Squirrel for Fearless Leader. Hail Pottsylvania!!!

Who knows? Perhaps one day I can use the decals for a Blue Bird Goon.

I plan to add the Semroc Retro Reproduction later today. Contrary to popular belief they are not identical.

Thanks to Cabernut for giving me his fin dimensions, and Randy Boadway (scanning in my decals and fins).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estes Blue Bird Zero (1335) Fins scanned 10-27-17.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	331167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estes Blue Bird Zero (1335) Decals png.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	331168  

As a child of the 70s and 80s I love many of the designs that came from that era... With that in mind, today I'm adding the Centuri Groove Tube (KA-11):

I've tried to simulate the chrome self stick material that was apparently supplied with the kit, as such, there is a definite orientation to the views. The instructions had an easy and challenging color scheme for the paint, I went with the challenging layout, and was heavily influenced by Chris Michielssen's BT-56 clone. Decal file was provided by Bill Cooke.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Centuri Groove Tube (KA-11) Decals (Bill Cooke).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	331691