K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found at least 4 different kiss rockets, maybe five as one looks like a pink version.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482767276.230064.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482767290.122285.jpg

BSV could be approximated in OR (and could probably made to produce nice renderings) but the complex fin cross sections cannot be modeled in OR with any sort of accuracy.

BSV could be approximated in OR (and could probably made to produce nice renderings) but the complex fin cross sections cannot be modeled in OR with any sort of accuracy.

IINM it has a texture on the nosecone which would be really hard to try to simulate. But Neil's correct, it can be done to create a render, but its flight characteristics would likely a nightmare.

IINM it has a texture on the nosecone which would be really hard to try to simulate. But Neil's correct, it can be done to create a render, but its flight characteristics would likely a nightmare.

Hmm, I don't remember any particular nose cone shenanigans, just crazy 3D fin assemblies. But I could be wrong. I really gotta build me one of these at some point.

Ujst got it fomr Secret Santa.
There's already a build thread for it on here somewhere I think, so I'll model it in SolidWorks and play around with the Flow Simulator to try and get a CP worked out. Then that info mayn be used to make an equivalent fin profile in OR for.people that want to simulate flight. Possibilities abound! (And I can probably get measurements for K along the way)

Tonight's addition... The Estes Scamp (1286)

Now, for this one, I don't have the PNC-50X to model from. So, here I went ahead and used the OR default shape for Semroc's BNC-50X, and then changed it to "plastic" and guesstimated the plastic's thickness. The dimensions of the nosecone matches those found in the Estes Custom Parts catalog. However, I suspect that the actual nosecone is a tad "blunter".

The fin shape was derived from the .pdf file found on JimZ's site. An "Air Fin" was used for the Scamp decal. Scamp and the body tube decal were originally printed on clear peel and stick plastic.

Estes Scamp (1286) Fins.jpg

Attachments

• Estes Scamp (1286).ork
    7.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Today, It's the Estes Cosmic Explorer (2421):

The nosecone is based on the PNC-55AO (PN 71075) that my sample came with, and not the balsa part (PN 70276) that the instructions listed. Mine also had the little note about the "worldwide shortage of balsa".

Thanks go out to kruegon for the decal scans.

Attachments

• Estes Cosmic Explorer (2421)(with PNC-55AO Nosecone).ork
    91.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
what this post could use is splitting up and an index (with links) post...nice work.
Rex

Today, I'll add the Centuri Payloader II (KC-20)(ca. 1969)

I was approached in mid-December last year about this one, and got it nearly finished. However, the inquiring party found a file online, and there were questions that I couldn't resolve (exact length of the Balsa Connector, etc.). So, I didn't publish it then. No part numbers were given in the 1969 instructions found online. However, the file did have lengths given for the clear plastic tube (2.5")( which matches the 1974 Centuri Catalog's CPT-102), and the length of the body tube was given as 10.5" (matching the ST-1010 body tube length). While I'm not 100% sure about all the details, I'm sure that it's still pretty confident that it's close.

Instructions: https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/centuri/cenKC-20/cenKC-20.htm
Also useful: https://www.estesrockets.com/media//catalogs/Centuri_1974_Catalog.pdf

This file has been updated to OR 22.02 to make the payload section clear, add a placeholder for the payload, and adjust the positioning of the decals. It's a relatively minor update that should have little effect on the flight data.

Previous version of the .ork was downloaded 91 times.

Attachments

• Centuri Payloader II (KC-20)(ca. 1969).ork
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here's a new file... One that I hope you can sink your fangs into... Apogee's Diamondback (5034):

This one has a new trick for getting fins to sit on top of other fins... (READ: no need for a PBT for the top fin! :cool:). Other than that, there's the PBT for the engine hook, but that tends to make a very small difference in the altitudes. I'll also add that there's another variant of this in my files with a simplified fin arrangement (still looks the same though) that is giving slightly higher altitudes (Read: +27 feet).

Pointy Side Up!

Attachments

• Apogee Diamondback (5034).ork
    19.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
At the suggestion of Glen P, and with his and Dave Cook's help, I've created a sim for the Pay Dirt from 1971 Centuri Design Manual.

Graphics are based on what Centuri kits of the day came with, and a little imagination. There's a few tricks in this one, but nothing that is too fantastic that would preclude this from being fairly accurate for flight performance.

If you are one of the two people who downloaded the previous version, please toss it, and download a fresh copy... (I fixed the extra fin problem I found) :facepalm:

Attachments

• Centuri Pay Dirt (1971 Design Manual build).ork
    6.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Excellent! I like the use of the roll pattern from the similar vintage Payloader. I made a decal logo with the T in the shape of a pick axe, reminiscent of the Excalibur logo where the X represents a sword. Thanks for taking the time to sim this, looks great!

View attachment 289608

Last edited:
Excellent! I like the use of the roll pattern from the similar vintage Payloader. I made a decal logo with the T in the shape of a pick axe, reminiscent of the Excalibur logo where the X represents a sword. Thanks for taking the time to sim this, looks great!

View attachment 289608

I too thought about adding a decal with a pick axe... but decided it looked "too modern". Here it is:

Centuri Pay Dirt (DM - 1971) Fin Paint and Decals Test 1.png

This is oriented to be on the fins, and made from a piece of clip art I found and adapted.

I also feel that the Pay Dirt has a similar feel to the Centuri Payloader, and I suspect that may be why it wasn't released as a kit.

Last edited:
Been working on the Estes Marauder (KL-3) Cold Power Convertible kit:

(The offset in the black band on the launch lug is an artifact of the rotation the image has to show the white fin).

I've simmed this with the Polaris (1324)'s motor mount as I don't have any measurements of the cold power motor that Estes produced. When I get the info that has been promised to me, I'll update the file again.

The Polaris (1324) is what the Marauder became as a BP powered rocket, and shares many basic similarities with it. However, there are differences, and when I get the decal info requested, I'll post its .ork file too.

Thanks to Joe Wooten, and LW Bercini for their photos of the kit's fins.

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1922/est1922.htm
https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16437

Attachments

• Estes Marauder (KL-3)(Cold-Power Convertible).ork
    9.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
None of these ork seem to render as shown... must be missing something.

Lemme guess... you're seeing something like this (except without the red box...)

OR View type.jpg

If that's the case, you need to change your View Type to 3D Finished.

Or are the images jagged like this?

16838237569_eedd6b8bd3_o.jpg

Which in this case means that you've got an older computer and need to buy a new one (or a graphics card) to get the better view.

If it's neither of those, the next thing I'd suggest is making sure that you're running the most recent version of OR (15.03). Also keep in mind that I edit out CG/CP markings.

Last edited:
Ummmmmm no... :wink:
My Box:
  • Home Built
  • AMD-FX8310 8 Core...
  • Windows 10,
  • 32GB ,
  • Twin GTX-970's in SLI using a 27 inch monitor,
  • Java 8,
  • Latest OR jar (I write Java for a living... not that that matters)

But thanks for the ideas!! I appreciate the answer!

What I meant is I don't see any of the rendered fancy decals etc... 3D? Sure... I was using OR and ROCKSIM back when they intro'd it. (But I am no OR expert! I admit!) I just meant where are textures to get the graphics? :wink::)

The graphics I use are a mix of cleaned up decals from the various sources available online, or (for things like roll patterns) all new images that are based on the original.

Unfortunately, the images tend to look really grainy up close (at 100 pixels to the inch), and would not be suitable for printing and using. Also, for body tubes, the "decal" that is applied cannot be specified as to this roll pattern and that name decal applied to the body tube. I have to create a graphic that is the length of the body tube by the circumference and apply all of the decals that go on it to that (so they also include the "paint").

If you look at the .ork files, and pick an item that has a decal (or a change in paint color), then look at the appearance tab, you can open up the images and look at them in your graphics editor of choice.

Oh I see... the ORK file only points to images. It does not bundle them up.
So only you see the DECALs and stuff... because only you have the PNGs...
You would have to publish your 'decals' folder for us to see the renderings you have done here...

Got it. Thanks!

Good stuff!

Oh I see... the ORK file only points to images. It does not bundle them up.
So only you see the DECALs and stuff... because only you have the PNGs...
You would have to publish your 'decals' folder for us to see the renderings you have done here...

Got it. Thanks!

Good stuff!

Hi Jeff,

I posted this problem over in the software sub-forum. It looks like the problem isn't with the files. If you'd go there and post what the problem is, perhaps we can get you sorted out.

One possible problem I could see though is that if you are looking at one of my old .ork files they lack the graphics (I simmed up decals with exposed bands, and even older designs were simmed with the body tube cut up to give the color bands).

Again, let's move this discussion over to the sub-forum.

Last edited:
Today, it's my first rocket. The Estes Spin Fin (1355):

My science teacher, Mr. Deller, had an assortment of rockets, and we drew straws for our place to pick. I was one of the last to get to pick, I can't remember what else was available for me to choose, but this was the best of what was left. I don't have any photos of it (it was downright FUGLY). I didn't fill the balsa (nor paper it), and out of frustration, I finally just glued the alignment guide to the body tube, and the fins to that. As I said, it wasn't pretty. The rocket flew once or twice before it was destroyed in an accident that crushed the body tube and broke the fins.

To add the logos to the fin, I had to add an "Air Fin" and a PBT. So, the flight characteristics are suspect (if run w/o deleting the PBT with the "Air fin"). The image above shows what it sims at w/o them (I suspect it'll go much much higher still). I'll point out that I don't have the exact specs on the nosecone, but it is based on specs found in the 1974 Estes Custom Parts Catalog because I don't have an original anymore.

I've also simmed this with the straight flight alignment of the fins.

This also has the PBT and "Air Fin" and the image shows altitude projections w/o them included.

Thanks to caveduck and everybody who helped me identify the specs on the streamer (1.125" x 30").

Instructions and decals were found on JimZ's site:
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1355.pdf

Attachments

• Estes Spin Fin (1355)(Spin Alignment).ork
    20.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Estes Spin Fin (1355)(Straight Alignment).ork
    20.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Back