K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got around to updating Maxi Icarus files. I finally uploaded a stock version of it. I figured out what was what was giving me the grief with the scale of the fin decals on the two stage version (the fin tabs) after taking those into consideration, I was finally able to get them to look right.

The files for the stock version, and the two stage mod are found in post #33.

The files needed to be recreated from the old computer's versions, due to the loss of the hard drive back in September. Total time... 8 hours (the internet was running really slow today in China).

Last edited:
Ok... Something new, but added to an older thread. The Estes Panavia (9715) Pro Series II

I've added it to Post # 209 (the Sahara's post), as the Sahara and the Panavia are both 2.5" Pro Series II SPEVs (Spare Parts Elimination Vehicles)

BTW... I'm editing my older posts... Reworked .ork files will get a nice profile image. Announcements of reworked files, or additions to older posts, get angled views (but it might take a while, there's a lot of posts to hunt through). The Terrordactyl however will only ever be seen as an angle view.

Last edited:
What is meant by the warning "Jagged edge fin predictions may be inaccurate?"

I just ran a sim of your Hornet, and that popped up. I thought it might say that when you have curved shapes with a lot of added points on them, but the fins of that hornet are perfectly straight, with four corners. The sim I created of the same rocket hits the same altitude, but I don't get that warning on mine. The only difference that I can tell is that the fins on mine are the trapezoidal fin set, and yours are free form. Other than that, they're basically the same.

It also says "Thick fins may not be modeled accurately," but the fins are 1/8 inch thick on both sims. And how would OR know that the fins are not "modeled accurately?" Anybody know why that occurs?

I just ran a sim of your Hornet, and that popped up. I thought it might say that when you have curved shapes with a lot of added points on them, but the fins of that hornet are perfectly straight, with four corners. The sim I created of the same rocket hits the same altitude, but I don't get that warning on mine. The only difference that I can tell is that the fins on mine are the trapezoidal fin set, and yours are free form. Other than that, they're basically the same.

It's the engine hook, which is modeled as a free-form fin. Like many aspects of these sims, it helps create a beautiful rendering but plays havoc with the sim. If you want to actually play with simulated flight performance, you need to create a copy of the file and prune out all the stuff that is there only for appearance and confuses the sim. It would be oh-so-nice if OR offered the ability to indicate which elements are there only for appearance and should not be in the sim (or, perhaps, there only for the sim and should not be made visible, like a base drag correction). But alas, no.

It also says "Thick fins may not be modeled accurately," but the fins are 1/8 inch thick on both sims. And how would OR know that the fins are not "modeled accurately?" Anybody know why that occurs?

Also the engine hook. :)

In general, it looks like they had a reasonable handle on what types of elements violate the assumptions in their simulation equations, so they spew a warning.

Neil was completely correct in his explanation.

However, you forgot the warning "Discontinuity in rocket body diameter."

Which is also often associated with the engine hooks. However, occasionally for rockets with fins that are mounted to boat tails, or other transitions, I've added a Phantom Body Tube (a.k.a PBT) to allow these to be attached, as OR doesn't have the ability to mount fins to them, or an Internal tube (such as a motor tube that extends beyond/behind it). Then there's the rockets with fins that are mounted on tube fins (Super Neon (2050), Super Neon XL (2425), Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fighter (1310), etc...). Those kits require a PBT set to the outside diameter of the tube fins for the balsa fins to be mounted to (which also plays merry Hell with OR's algorithms).

Lately, I've been adding PBT's to rockets that have fins with decals on one side of them only, or with writing on one or both sides of it. To model them accurately (visually accurately, not flight performance accurately), I have to create a second set of fins that are made of a custom material "Air" with zero density/mass. Those fins are offset by a fraction of a degree, given a "polished" finish, and streamlined to reduce their effect on the aerodynamic performance. For best results with those, you need to delete the PBTs associated with them.

Occasionally, I get that error message w/o a PBT being used, and it's very hard to track down what causes it.

I'm hoping that with the next release of OpenRocket, these kinks can be worked out (such as by having a "switch" that can be toggled on/off) to bypass these error messages, or allows fins and other "parts" to be offset. Problem is... I'll likely have to rework my sims... again.

Last edited:
However, you forgot the warning "Discontinuity in rocket body diameter."

Oh, I figured that had to do with the tip of the nose cone. I get that sometimes when I do a transition, but the OD of the transition and the OD of the body tube are slightly different, so I didn't pay it any attention.

Finally, my skills have advanced to the point where I could do this little project... Estes Comet Chaser (3202)

Engine hook, "Air" fins, PBT's all have their role in this sim. So, your flight performance sims will reflect those effects (looks like it'll go about 130' higher without them). However, that engine hook, and its retaining ring do have a role to play in your flight performance. Oh, and that little notch in the fin? Yeah, they really do have them (but it's usually filled in by glue with the filleting).

I upscaled to a BT-55/BT-60 this using custom parts from Semroc under Carl, but it was punctured by a falling object before I got decals on it. I'm hoping to revisit this when I get a chance.

Attachments

• Estes Comet Chaser (3202).ork
    51.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
K"Tesh

I found the reason for the "discontinuity in rocket body diameter" error message . ( in some cases )
If you look closely as some of the data base parts usually a nosecone it will show the nosecone
base diameter of 4 inches . So if you are mating a PML airframe ( outside diameter =4.024 ) to a PML
4 inch nosecone ( outside base diameter = 4.00 ) you will get the "discontinuity in rocket body diameter" error.

To correct the error message change the nosecone base diameter from
4.00 inches to 4.024 inches and the error will go away :)

Bobby

K"Tesh

I found the reason for the "discontinuity in rocket body diameter" error message . ( in some cases )
If you look closely as some of the data base parts usually a nosecone it will show the nosecone
base diameter of 4 inches . So if you are mating a PML airframe ( outside diameter =4.024 ) to a PML
4 inch nosecone ( outside base diameter = 4.00 ) you will get the "discontinuity in rocket body diameter" error.

To correct the error message change the nosecone base diameter from
4.00 inches to 4.024 inches and the error will go away :)

Bobby

That might explain some, oddball error messages. However, there are cases where I'm getting it when I'm using a nosecone for a BT-60 (1.637") based rocket (don't ask for examples, I can't remember where it happened, and likely lost the file anyway).

The way to track those down is to delete parts/assemblies (then add them back in) until you discover where the error disappears. After identifying the source you can then troubleshoot it.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Jim

might wanna check and see if the nosecone base diameter matches the outside diameter of the BT-60 airframe ?
but removing and adding 1 part at a time does the trick to

Bobby

Ok... Had some coffee, and finished work... So, time to play (at 2 am in the morning). Here's my Rubic's³ Rocket

There's a tonne of tricks hiding in there to make this possible, but WYSIWYG. I'm not releasing the file as of yet, needs polishing. Of course, if you're looking for the solution to this, I'd suggest you keep reading.

When I say a tonne...

I mean a tonne...

That wasn't easy to figure out how to do...

And Yes... This is something that was completely generated in OR (except for eliminating the CG/CP marking), and could be made, and made to work.

Oh, and the Rubic's³ Rocket could be built big enough to carry cookies, a bowling ball, or a keg (and still be made to rotate).

Next up... The Borg³!!! (Ω is futile!) :wink:

Last edited:
Today I finally managed to get an updated version of the Centuri Spirit of America (5344) with decals uploaded.

You can download the file from post #16.

The previous version is very much obsolete, and should be tossed. I corrected an error with the fins (location), and simplified them (now they're symmetrical as they should have always been). The new version has no logo decal on the fins (they weren't included in the kit), and it saves me from having to do an "Air Fin" that messes up flight simulations (the PBT with the engine hook is still there though).

Thanks to SCIGS30, Doug Bertelsen, and Woody's Workshop for their help with this.

Last edited:
In my continuing efforts to update my .ork files, I've updated the Estes Goblin (K-55). I had to use a PNC-55AO instead of the original BNC-55AO due to the lack of an original to sample from.

[FONT=&quot]The file can be downloaded from post number 4.[/FONT]

Thanks for the shout-out. Wow that index is huuuge! :eyepop: That will come in handy for many. I paruse this thread often looking for my next clone project.

Thanks for the shout-out. Wow that index is huuuge! :eyepop: That will come in handy for many. I paruse this thread often looking for my next clone project.

No problem Chris. The index would have been longer had the HD not failed (people, I'm now capable of backing up my data now, so there's no need to remind me here). I've got a lot of projects I'm working on, so it'll only get longer.

Oh, and I'm getting better at my redeux files (I've just posted another pair of them). The Camroc with Camroc Carrier (1266) and the Camroc Carrier with Payload section.

The updated files can be downloaded in post #17

I've also just updated the Enerjet Egg Crate (KE-4) and its variants.

You can find them in post #18

Last edited:
You might find this...
[video=youtube;krD4hdGvGHM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM[/video]

The Estes Citation Series Red Max (MK-2) has been uploaded finally...

As has the Estes Der Big Red Max (1977).

Thanks to LW Bercini for his help on these sims.

Files are available in post #203

Here's a redeux of a file lost in the HD crash (I know back up, back up, back up...) The Estes Tornado (2004)

For those that don't know, this (and the Twister variant that was also produced) is a maple seed recovery type rocket. I can't wait to build one.

Thanks to John Boren for the help with the fins and Chris Michaels for the LL info.

Attachments

• Estes Tornado (2004).ork
    10 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Merry Christmas!

For Christmas this year, I thought I'd hang some Missile Toe. The Estes Missile Toe (0854) that is:

This one required a lot of tricks, and is not suitable for flight simulations at all (as is).

Attachments

• Estes Missile Toe (0854).ork
    91.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Of course, under the Missile Toe, you should have a KISS! A MPC KISS that is!

14700__34632.1379505986.1280.1280.jpg

Is the KISS rocket real? I want one!

Yes. There are 3 that I've found from MPC's KISS Album Collection.

stacks-image-156e217-368x250.jpg

I looked, and couldn't find any instructions uploaded in the typical places. I don't know if I'll actually try to sim them as they are ARTF rockets. With pre-finished body tubes, it makes recreating the decaling a Royal PITA.

Last edited:
Back