K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As promised...

---->>>> (At least THIS Big Daddy won't lawndart) <<<<----

Fin measurements and decals were taken from scans provided by Kruegon.

My fins (using Kruegon's scan) was 1/16" different from his .rkt file. I printed the fins with the ruler, then cut the ruler out and used it to make my measurements.

Lawndart?
I ask because I recently purchased this kit and I would to know if there is an issue with the stock design, BEFORE I build it. :y:

Oh btw....
Thank you for the amazing work you have done in this thread. Man, I remember as a kid drooling many many hours over Estes and Centuri catalogs, just wishing I had some real money for all the kits I wanted to own.

Peace,
Tobor

Lawndart?
I ask because I recently purchased this kit and I would to know if there is an issue with the stock design, BEFORE I build it. :y:

Oh btw....
Thank you for the amazing work you have done in this thread. Man, I remember as a kid drooling many many hours over Estes and Centuri catalogs, just wishing I had some real money for all the kits I wanted to own.

Peace,
Tobor

Hi Tobor,

Thanks for the compliment... I'm currently living and working in China. So, I'm stuck looking at .pdf files and drooling about building kits. At least with OR, I can get some of the fun...

About the Big Daddy... The shape of the shoulder on the nosecone seems to promote the ejection charge "venting" without deploying the chute. Lots of Big Daddy kits have lawndarted. There are a lot of workarounds that people have done. For me, I'd just glue some foam to the "ramp" and shape it to fit inside the body tube, and thus eliminate the possibility of if venting.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?131851-Big-Daddy-Lawn-Darts-Show-of-Hands-Please

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130943-Big-Daddy-nosecone-Mod-question

Hi Tobor,

Thanks for the compliment... I'm currently living and working in China. So, I'm stuck looking at .pdf files and drooling about building kits. At least with OR, I can get some of the fun...

About the Big Daddy... The shape of the shoulder on the nosecone seems to promote the ejection charge "venting" without deploying the chute. Lots of Big Daddy kits have lawndarted. There are a lot of workarounds that people have done. For me, I'd just glue some foam to the "ramp" and shape it to fit inside the body tube, and thus eliminate the possibility of if venting.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?131851-Big-Daddy-Lawn-Darts-Show-of-Hands-Please

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130943-Big-Daddy-nosecone-Mod-question

Oh okay, I see. Thx for the Big Daddy info and the links. I'll adjust my build of it accordingly.

Peace,
Tobor

Probably one of the most challenging LPR designs I've ever attempted... Estes QCC Explorer (3221):

Markings are based on an actual set of decals I have with me, and a .jpg image I scanned back when I was still using .jpg files (.png files give less artifacts IMHO, and are a better format for saving images in). I needed to use "Air fins" to eliminate the decals from the sides of the intakes from being visible on the interior of the intakes. I also spit the "intake splitter" in half to eliminate the decals showing on the underside of it.

Measurements are based on an actual sample I have here (unassembled), and information provided to me by John Boren, the designer of this kit. I didn't sim the intakes interiors, nor the notching pattern used to align it. If you'd like to clone the kit, I'd suggest getting the parts for it from your favorite LHS, or dealer in the handy kit form (everything you need is in there except for the tools and finishing supplies needed to build it).

Due to the nature of the developer's version of OR (OR 15.03dev) needed to complete this, the pods (Yes, pods...) needed to do the intake's complicated shapes, and decal patterns, the file you'll see will be a hot mess (presuming you have the developer's version)(as seen below)

Estes QCC Explorer (3221) Hot Mess  OR 15.03.jpg

This is is due to some weirdness in the pod support. The number of pods need to be >=2, but OR doesn't mirror the pods correctly, so you are forced to use a pod count of 1 (which doesn't save properly... AAAAARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!! To help with this, I've indicated where the pods and fins need to adjusted to get back to the intended appearance. At this time, I'm unaware of any support for the flight characteristics.

Opening it up in OR 15.03 and You'll see this:

Estes QCC Explorer (3221) Hot Mess.jpg

Thanks to John Boren for the help he gave me on simming this up.

Attachments

• Estes QCC Explorer (3221).ork
    47.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Now that's quite amazing.

I'm getting antsy waiting for them to release the new version. (18.06?)

I actually just made a QCC sim with block fins standing in for the intakes assemblies. Its way too optimistic in its results though.

Hah! No, I just had the four fins, and four block trapezoids that matched the angles of the intakes. Did you use a phantom tube to get the bottom of the intakes offset from the tube?

Hah! No, I just had the four fins, and four block trapezoids that matched the angles of the intakes. Did you use a phantom tube to get the bottom of the intakes offset from the tube?

Yes, I used a PBT to make them seat properly.

Ok... Here's another one that I've been working on for a while... The Estes Mars Snooper (K-20):

Yes, it has pods... And that means that it's using the developer's version of OR (15.03dev). So, it doesn't save right... But this is what you can do with OR (and a lot of patience).

Here's what it looks like after a close and reopen... ugh... I have documented all the pods to make sure I can undo the mess caused by OR's pod requirements of 2 or more.

Estes Mars Snooper (K-20) after reopen.jpg

Thanks to Randy Boadway (eRockets) for his help with this sim (fin and decals). JimZ's site provided the instructions I used...

The original file I tried to upload was nearly 7 times too large to upload to the forums... It took several attempts before I was able to attach the file (thus the "image lite" remark in the file name).

Attachments

• Estes Mars Snooper (K-20)(image lite).ork
    137.4 KB · Views: 182
And for today... It's the Estes Blue Bird Zero (1335):

I actually had to buy one of these (Rainbow hang tag) to get the fin dimensions as nobody had an unbuilt kit to scan the fins and decals in. JimZ's site had a drawing of the fins, and a scan of the decals, but nothing to give the dimensions.

If you do build this kit, make sure to do a good job on the motor mount. My stepbrother didn't and we had an.... uhmmmm.... Interesting? Yeah... Interesting time (dodging it as it didn't flight straight or true).

On a more personal note, while I like this design a lot, I don't like the Nazi vibe that it gives off (thanks to that eagle). I agree with Mel Brooks, Nazi's should be made to look like the fools they were and are. As such, mine will be used to get Moose and Squirrel for Fearless Leader. Hail Pottsylvania!!!

Boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

Who knows? Perhaps one day I can use the decals for a Blue Bird Goon.

I plan to add the Semroc Retro Reproduction later today. Contrary to popular belief they are not identical.

Thanks to Cabernut for giving me his fin dimensions, and Randy Boadway (scanning in my decals and fins).

Estes Blue Bird Zero (1335) Fins scanned 10-27-17.png

Estes Blue Bird Zero (1335) Decals png.png

Attachments

• Estes Blue Bird Zero (1335).ork
    36.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
As a child of the 70s and 80s I love many of the designs that came from that era... With that in mind, today I'm adding the Centuri Groove Tube (KA-11):

I've tried to simulate the chrome self stick material that was apparently supplied with the kit, as such, there is a definite orientation to the views. The instructions had an easy and challenging color scheme for the paint, I went with the challenging layout, and was heavily influenced by Chris Michielssen's BT-56 clone. Decal file was provided by Bill Cooke.

Centuri Groove Tube (KA-11) Decals (Bill Cooke).jpg

Attachments

• Centuri Groove Tube (KA-11).ork
    72.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
This thread has languished a little... I've been busy. But I did get a chance to work on an old project that was on the back burner for too long. I give you the CC Express (1302):

Due to the lack of decals for all the booster's fins, I had to add air fins to sim this up. The altitude seen is the "Orbital Insertion" engine selection that Estes instructions recommended.

Thanks to Kruegon for the decals, fins, and instructions scans.

Attachments

• Estes CC Express (1302).ork
    67 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks for the work you have put into this thread. I was looking around TRF while waiting for some glue to dry when I found this thread, and this is kind of like the book you don't want to put down (just one more chapter).

Just wanted to say thanks for the work you have put into this thread. I was looking around TRF while waiting for some glue to dry when I found this thread, and this is kind of like the book you don't want to put down (just one more chapter).

Thanks! I'll keep adding 'em as I can.

I've worked up a sim of the Centuri Firebird (5359)...

Since I don't have the instructions, I had to make a few guesses. The motor mount, the launch lug's placement, and the paint scheme are all educated guesses. Another thing is the nosecone. I suspect that the nosecone would be a match for the Centuri Spirit of America. Centuri called it the PNC-92, but Estes calls it the PNC-50Y.

Scans (and measurements) of the fins and decals are from Dave Cook.

I'd pose that the gold for the decals would be a match for the Pontiac Firebird... If you know your automotive paints.

An Estes kit that clearly has a tie to the Centuri Firebird is their upscale of the kit... The Estes FIREHAWK (2014):

Measurements are taken from an actual sample kit, and the decals in the sim were created using the scan found on JimZ's site. My own scan was rotated, so I opted to use the older scan and scaled it to my sample. I've also created a 2nd file the same as the first, but changed the red to black (I like it better).

Decal placement wasn't specified. So, my placement of the decals has the bottom of the firebird 1/8" above the color separation, and the name decal 3/8" above the highest point of the firebird decal.

Attachments

• Centuri Firebird (5359)(best guess).ork
    185.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Estes Firehawk (2014)(Stock).ork
    263.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Estes Firehawk (2014)(Black, White, and Gold).ork
    263.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Nice work!

Your Best Guess...?

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) said:
Spock: "Mr. Scott cannot give me exact figures, Admiral so... I will make a guess."

Kirk: "A guess? You, Spock? That's extraordinary."

Spock: "I don't think he understands."

McCoy: "No, Spock. He means that he feels safer about your guesses than most other people's facts."

Spock: "Then you're saying it is a compliment."

McCoy: "It is."

Spock: "Ah. Then I will try to make the best guess I can."

Thanks Tobor! That made my day brighter!

Something else that made my day brighter was winning an item in ebay auction I've been hoping I'd manage to score for some time now. Now that I'm no longer on the market for it, I'll remind you all about the project... A look back AstroCam 110, modded to be a look back/look forward variant with a digital cam, or original film option. I'm sending my prize (an unbuilt yellow, BETA version, along with a bonus original livery's built camera) to Boyce Aerospace Hobbies to see if they can make the parts to get it to accommodate the 808 #16's guts, as well as a replacement for the nosecone to make it reversible.

I've already added the .ork file into the original Astrocam 110 file's post.

As a child of the 70s and 80s I love many of the designs that came from that era... With that in mind, today I'm adding the Centuri Groove Tube (KA-11):

I've tried to simulate the chrome self stick material that was apparently supplied with the kit, as such, there is a definite orientation to the views. The instructions had an easy and challenging color scheme for the paint, I went with the challenging layout, and was heavily influenced by Chris Michielssen's BT-56 clone. Decal file was provided by Bill Cooke.

Groovy Man, (will it go) Out-a-Sight Man

K'Tesh - I think I saw you post a screenshot of a helium balloon once. Do you have that .ork available to download?

K'Tesh - I think I saw you post a screenshot of a helium balloon once. Do you have that .ork available to download?

I don't remember it, and I certainly don't remember doing a helium balloon as a .ork file. However, you could do it with a nosecone, and a couple of transitions.

Coming soon to eRockets.biz / Semroc... The MX Cherokee (KMX-10). I spoke to Randy and got the OK to post this here.

A last minute change changed the name from "MX Cherokee D" to "MX Cherokee". However the "Cherokee - D" decal is included in the kit.

If you are looking to clone this... eRockets.biz will have everything you need to do it in a
convenient package.

Attachments

• Semroc MX Cherokee (KMX-10).ork
    55.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Just updated the file for the Binder Design Excelerator... This reflects the mods (54mm power, Velociraptor style baffle, and AV Bay location/layout) that I'm incorporating, and updates the appearance slightly.

You can see it in post #94

After much waiting, I finally got the instructions, and scans I needed to do a Centuri classic design. The Centuri Magnum Sprint (5356)

Thanks to YORF's 77fair (David) (for the photos and measurements, and Earl L. Cagle Jr. for the scans. There's a little question about the nosecone. If you check out the Centuri Catalog photos of the Magnum Sprint and in all the drawings seen in the instructions, you'll see a blunt nosecone that looks to be a PNC-55AO nosecone. However, the part number in the instructions are clearly of a PNC-55AC. Photos of Earl's in bag kit clearly show the PNC-55AC. So the question of whether or not there's a blunt nosecone variation exists. Also, David's measurement of the body tube was 17 15/16" long, but the part number calls for an 18" long body tube. I opted to go with the documented length.

The decals in this sim are "cleaned up" to remove .jpg artifacts. The red and orange stripes taper from the front of the decal to the back, but bow in the middle. No matter what, they never reached the full width of the red and orange section on the name decal. The width difference is clearly visible in the facecard's image. For the sim, I opted to represent them as if the they were cut using a straight edge and an Xacto knife to remove the bow but keep the taper. The instructions showed a gap between the rear stripes and the name decal, and I opted to use that for my sim.

There are no tricks in this sim that would prevent it from being used "as is" for flight performance.

The Instructions, scans, and photos of the actual kit can be found on flickr.

Now OOP, here's the Semroc Magnum Sprint (KV-67):

Other than the PBT needed for the engine hook, the rest of the sim has no tricks in it.

Mind you, in the first file, I didn't include the adapter for 18mm motors. So, I created a 2nd sim with the adapter. This required a 2nd PBT, and I "added" the notch in the split centering ring.

Attachments

• Semroc Magnum Sprint (KV-67).ork
    83.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Semroc Magnum Sprint (KV-67)(With D-Converter).ork
    84.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Centuri Magnum Sprint (5356).ork
    60.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Files look great as always. In the Excelerator and Firehawk images, it looks like they're a bit in the shadows, you should try to pull the light source forward a bit so you can see ita ll better. The Magnum Sprint also looks like it could use a bit more light.

Files look great as always. In the Excelerator and Firehawk images, it looks like they're a bit in the shadows, you should try to pull the light source forward a bit so you can see ita ll better. The Magnum Sprint also looks like it could use a bit more light.

Problem is the glossy white blends in with the background color... Hence my requests to allow us to customize and change the background colors of OR. I angle the light to allow as much as possible to be seen.

Ok... Got another one to add to the list today... This one took a while, as I had to buy my own from ebay, then wait for it to get to me here in China. I present Estes' Polaris (1324):

I'm aware that JimZ's site had fins and "decals", but I didn't like the image quality of the decals, and since nobody came forward with anything better, I had to wait to finish this. The facecard had "NEW!" on it, and it was (emphasis on "was") sealed in a yellow tagged bag.

Now, I've got scans of the instructions, fins, decals, and some other odds and ends that I've uploaded to the flickr site.

Another thing to remember is that this was basically a BP reissue of the Cold Power Marauder (KL-3).

Attachments

• Estes Polaris (1324).ork
    31 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Finally got around to this one these ones... (again*) They're two versions of the Estes U.S.ARMY Patriot M-104 (2056):

The sample that I got came from the Southern Oregon Rocketry club (Thanks Guys!!!), from a long closed LHS (The Hobby Tree). The kit has self adhesive decals, which I wasn't able to scan. So, the markings on this sim were created from measurements and a font recognition website.

[EDIT] In doing some research, I discovered that my sample was apparently one of the later reissued versions that were shipped in shorter bags necessitating the main body tube being made up of two halves joined by a coupler. The original release had a single main body tube 13.25" long.

Mind you, if I were cloning the kit, I'd lose the multiple body tube segments (and associated tube couplers), and simply go with a single 16.5" long body tube. Thus saving a small amount of weight (in addition to the cost of parts). Added benefits would be simplifying the assembly of the kit (as well as painting/sanding it), and quite likely, a negligible improvement (my modded sim shows +2') in flight characteristics.

*I had been working on the Patriot prior to my HD crash a couple of years ago, It was completely lost.

The Estes U.S.ARMY Patriot (2056) is the reissue, whereas the file marked as the Estes U.S. ARMY Patriot M-104 (2056) is the original version.

Attachments

• Estes U.S.ARMY Patriot (2056)(Reissue).ork
    13.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Estes U.S.ARMY Patriot M-104 (2056)(Original).ork
    13.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Back