K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calculating CP? I don't know, you'd need to talk to the designers of the program and those who are working on it. https://openrocket.sourceforge.net/contact.html

After sleeping on it, I thought of a second method to get the ring fin to be represented, and to get it to be calculated (how accurately, who knows). The fins would be attached to a the smaller diameter body tube. That body tube would be shortened where the ring fin overlaps it, and an internal body tube would be added to make up the missing length. This could work for both the sustainer and the booster. You can bet that there are going to be error messages and warnings aplenty using this method.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that, do you have a reference?

In any case, OR doesn't have but Rocksim does.

Pretty sure I read it on the forum last week somewhere, but no idea where. So a quick Google brought me to peak of Flight issue 27!

That issue was written for Rocksim 4, but I see no reason why it wouldnt apply to Open rocket as well. One OR file is the cosmetic version with ring fin for bragging rights, and another has the equivalent fins for flight characteristics. Not sure how to incorporate offset rings. Maybe asymmetric fins?

Hey Bossman, been working on anything lately? Been awhile since we've seen some new files...

fm

I had the HD crash that wiped out my research for the better part of a year (as well as several nearly completed sims). After that, I had all the issues in trying to find another job, then upon getting it, balancing the overlapping period, and getting trained up on the new job. I'm coming out of the overlap period now. Another "complication" popped up last week. With Alex and Sheree Boyce's willingness to join the CinerocDV project, I've been trying to coordinate parts and files getting to them, along with the issues that come up w/trying to use paypal from overseas (Hint: You can't be logged into your VPN).

There's a few designs I've been dabbling with though. They're just not ready to "go to press" just yet.

Is there anything I can do to help? Got an ok 9to5 so if there are things I can do let me know.

fm

Other than sending rockets :wink:, the best thing you can do for me is to scan your plans, fins and decals with a ruler for me in as high as resolution as you can in a .png format. Unless you want to edit decal images to eliminate background colors so that I can quickly "apply" them to the files I'm working on.

Now, as it stands now, I'm currently working on the Estes Magician (1943), Estes Meteor (2025), Estes Hornet (3037), and the Semroc Omega (KV-64).

Last edited:
K'Tesh

I have been doing some what if changes with the Maxi Icarus Decals that might lead to an upscale :)
Nose cone will match decal color with rest of rocket and fins being white
Also the 2 rings around clear payload section will mach decal color

May even go hog wild and add a 4th fin !

Bobby

neon green & neon orange.jpg

K'Tesh

I have been doing some what if changes with the Maxi Icarus Decals that might lead to an upscale :)
Nose cone will match decal color with rest of rocket and fins being white
Also the 2 rings around clear payload section will mach decal color

May even go hog wild and add a 4th fin !

Bobby

If you do, you know you'll need to do a build thread. :wink:

Ok... Something new and different... Behold the Binder Design Terrordactyl

To do this one, I had to make special arrangements with Mike Fisher (BinderDesign). So, I can't publish the .ork file. He can however send a .rkt file to those who have purchased a Terrordactyl that is based on my .ork file. If you're interested in purchasing a Terrordactyl, it's available on his website.

The holes in the fins are a cheat, done by using a "decal", so this one may not sim completely accurately. I am unable to share those image files per my agreement with Mike. Those holes are currently beyond OR's ability to recreate (trust me, I tried). Due to the difficulty in trying to capture the body tube decals look, I decided to make it easy on myself, and represent them as if the standard decals were outlined in silver.

Last edited:
Jim,

I just ordered a Wildman 4" Patriot from the BF sale. Do you have an .ork file for this one?

Thanks - Smuggs

Sorry, nope. The only Patriots I have are the sims I did for what is called the Citation Patriot. My sim for the Estes Pro Series Patriot went "Poof" when my HD crapped out this summer.

Sorry, nope. The only Patriots I have are the sims I did for what is called the Citation Patriot. My sim for the Estes Pro Series Patriot went "Poof" when my HD crapped out this summer.

Ok, thanks. Guess I'll have to start from scratch when it shows up.

K Tesh,

Are you storing these on the cloud this time around?

Do you still have the old drive that crashed???

For anyone listening / worrying about this sort of scenario, two hot one cold. Example: primary teh_rockets folder on hard drive, secondary teh_backups folder on external hard drive, tertiary teh_cloud folder somewhere in the æther.

How about this... I just post them when I can, and when people can confirm the requested information? :grin:

(I'm now emailing the files to myself, which will keep them off my HD, and available anywhere I can get internet access).

And with that, can we stop this from taking over my thread?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jim, I was perusing your Flickr galleries for decals the other day, and was reminded of an inspiring sim.

Did you ever do your own version of the Exocet MM40 B3? The one with the side intakes. And if so, has it survived your drive troubles?

Jim, I was perusing your Flickr galleries for decals the other day, and was reminded of an inspiring sim.

Did you ever do your own version of the Exocet MM40 B3? The one with the side intakes. And if so, has it survived your drive troubles?

Those files were lost. However, some of the work was preserved in emails, I'll have to search those out. I *might* not be able to share some of that info though as I was working with a vendor.

After much trouble with what I was being told, and what I thought I was seeing, I finally gave up, and tried a different tack... I went straight to the designer to get the measurements on these fins. Thanks JumpJet! Also thanks goes out to sandeja1 for the decal scans, as well as hcmbanjo and lcorinth for their fin scans. With that, I present the Estes Hornet (3037).

The actual .ork file is attached to post #15, along with the Centuri Hornet (5341).

Last edited:
Those files were lost. However, some of the work was preserved in emails, I'll have to search those out. I *might* not be able to share some of that info though as I was working with a vendor.

I really liked the looks of the MM40. The booster looks like it's nearly CHAD staged. Drop a Quark in for recovery, and Bob's your uncle.

But I'm not in any rush - my build list is longer than available time*energy, anyway.

Back