K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I finally just glued the alignment guide to the body tube, and the fins to that. As I said, it wasn't pretty.

You sound like some of my Rocket Camp kids. Man, did they make some... interesting rockets!

Today, I've got the Estes Army Hawk (2031):

The measurements, decals, and documentation was found over on YORF. Nothing really special was needed to do this sim, so it should be fairly accurate for flight simulation purposes.

To view the old version's color you can see it here.
Simming this kit can be blamed on Kruegon. 😉 Thanks to everyone who provided info for the sim. Especially Bill Eichelberger for his scans of the decals and instructions.

The original version of the sim (viewed 161 times) had a brighter green color that I really never liked. That (and an error in the kit number) are the only changes between the old and new versions.

Attachments

• Estes Army Hawk (2031).ork
    6.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ok... I'm tired of not posting things due to the near future update of OpenRocket. I'm going to post this anyway. This is a speculation on a version of the Estes Scorpion (1333):

It uses a PNC-50Y nosecone, which I haven't been able to prove was used in this kit or not. However, I do know the EXACT shape of the earliest PRP-1H nosecone (PN 32492), and there is a strong chance that with the update to OR, I will be able to recreate its shape perfectly. The dimensional drawings I have of the nosecone (and the fincan) unfortunately cannot be shared due to an agreement with the person who supplied it to me. When OR can recreate the shape accurately, I'll post an updated .ork file using its info. Another guess is that the PRP-1G Plastic Fin Unit (PN 32493) shipped with the PNC-50Y, and not the later Plastic Fin Unit (PN 73405) found on today's Mongoose.

I am always looking for variations on kits designs. So, if you happen to find the instructions showing this to be accurate, please PM me, and I'll arrange to get the info shared.

Thanks to JumpJet for his assistance on this kit.

Attachments

• Estes Scorpion (1333)(PNC-50Y Blow Molded Nosecone).ork
    57.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
how near in the future? haven't heard of much coming up about OR.

fm

Unclear. There are many bugs still to be squashed, and some features to iron out as well. I think it's fair to say that it's close to the end of the dev cycle for this release, but whether that means weeks or months or whatever is very hard to guess.

K'Tesh

Been working on a paint pattern for the Estes Hercules
I moved the decal to one fin that when you put the rocket on the launch rod the fin sticks down and you can see the decal on both sides of the fin
The black side of the fin is where I had trouble applying the reverse side of the decal. The launch rod goes between the 2 two tone fins

I am in the process of scaling the rockets below up to a 4 inch PML airframe with clear payload sections

Estes Maxi Icarus

Estes Hercules

Centuri Payloader 2

Centuri Pay Dirt

Hercules paint test.jpg

K tesh. How do I go about ordering decals using you ork files

Try emailing stickershock w/ a link to what you're wanting to do?

The "decals" that I have are typically graphic files that I have downloaded from one of the sites that hosts old instructions and scans of the fins/decals. They often are "cleaned up" by me to remove odd color blotches, etc. The "decals" are also part of the "paint" on the files, and as such, are not suitable for use as a source for printing your own.

Other than Stickershock, Tango Papa is a good source for decals.

Is there anyway I could ask for the BT60 Velociraptor be changed to a single stage. I don't feel like I am good enough to be messing with such a complex design.
Thanks
Steve

Is there anyway I could ask for the BT60 Velociraptor be changed to a single stage. I don't feel like I am good enough to be messing with such a complex design.
Thanks
Steve

That will have to wait until Monday. My work week is the weekend, and I have a full dance card until it is over.

No rush. Just need to figure an accurate flight for the motors I may use. Rockets still in dry dock.
velociraptor.jpg

Attachments

• Semroc Lil' Augie (KA-38).ork
    29.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
When I first looked at the cost of the kit I was like, "What?!" Then I realized it was for staged 29mm BP and I was like, "Cool!" :headbang:

Been doing some work on this now... The Semroc Farside-X (FV-95)

eRockets.biz is releasing their version of the Estes Astron Farside-X (K-12X) later this week (IINM), and have OK'd me posting this .ork file. If you want to clone it, you can get all the parts you need in a convenient kit soon.

I'd release my .ork of the Astron Farside-X, when I can find a file for the decal(s). The .ork is done, but the visual work is lacking.

Attachments

• Semroc Farside-X (FV-95).ork
    21.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I tried to open it,but apparently Rocksim will no longer open,Open Rocket files. I'm intrigued by that fin layout. You have some really nice stuff!

I tried to open it,but apparently Rocksim will no longer open,Open Rocket files. I'm intrigued by that fin layout. You have some really nice stuff!

Change the filename .ork extension to .rkt (if you didnt try it already) maybe that will work. However K'tesh's ork file are heavily modified from the .rkt they might have originally been based on.

Change the filename .ork extension to .rkt (if you didnt try it already) maybe that will work. However K'tesh's ork file are heavily modified from the .rkt they might have originally been based on.

While a few of my sims may have started as .rkt files based on rocketreviews' files, the vast majority of them are done from scratch.

IINM, Rocksim wasn't able to open .ork files. However, if you download OR, you can save the files as as .rkt files, and *should* be able to view them in Rocksim. I have no idea as to how that software will respond to all the tricks I've had to pull to get things right (phantom body tubes and the like). I highly doubt that the graphics will be able to make the change.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openrocket/

Done and done. I really would like to build and fly the Shark. Thanks guys! :cheers:

While a few of my sims may have started as .rkt files based on rocketreviews' files, the vast majority of them are done from scratch.

IINM, Rocksim wasn't able to open .ork files. However, if you download OR, you can save the files as as .rkt files, and *should* be able to view them in Rocksim. I have no idea as to how that software will respond to all the tricks I've had to pull to get things right (phantom body tubes and the like). I highly doubt that the graphics will be able to make the change.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openrocket/

After a long wait... Some computer problems (last year), and a little help from my friends (I get by with a little help from my friends... I get high (altitudes) with a little help from my friends) I've got something I think you'll love... The updated versions of the Estes Optima (2035).

Go and check them out in post #61. Old versions of the .ork files had fins for decals (and thus are obsolete and should be tossed). The new ones have "decals on fins".

I think they look a whole lot better now:

than they did...

Today I finally broke down and added the Estes Icarus (1277) in both the version that will work with OR version 15.03, and what I was able to do with the developer's version.

Mind you, with the clear body tube segment, there's an issue with the clarity of the "paint", and the image above was cleaned up using more OR magic.

You can download both versions of the file in post #33

Today I'm adding the Estes Gemini DC (2136):

However, this was done using the Developer's update, and not OR Ver. 15.03. So, if you haven't got that version, nor a more recent update, it likely won't work properly.

Attachments

• Estes Gemini DC (2136).ork
    34.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Back