K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

That's the consensus, the Sahara is a shortened Argent w/Partizon fins. I think of it as one of the PSII's SPEV's. I'd have rather have seen an upscale of the Cherokee D. I might have to do that with the Part Of Zon that I have. I've got the long version already (at home), maybe the short version is in order.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to stick with Ninja for a while... Guru requires that I know the inner workings of OR, and I'm not there yet.

Wait a minute... have you looked at your work lately? Better than ANY stuff I'd seen so far!!

fm

The Sizzler #1906 was one of my very first rockets and I flew it 50+ times on C motors back in the day. I may not be up for a upscale at this time but its tempting to do it for level 2 or even level 3.

Ok... Ray, The Sizzler (1906) (both versions) have been updated with decals... The decals will have no effect on flight performance for the sims, however there is a phantom body tube with an engine hook (which is a modified fin in reality). So, there's an error message about jagged fins (the hook) and a body tube diameter discontinuity. How these will actually change the flight characteristics of the sim is unknown.

1678938498804.png

The .ork files have been updated and uploaded into post 59

Last edited:
I've just spent an hour - roughly - at work looking through this thread. I'm just coming back to rocketry after about 25 years away, and though I have no real interest in the simulation programs, I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the older Estes models you've re-created from my earlier days. Some I had, some I wished I had, and some I may end up re-creating myself - Sizzler, Marauder, Mean Machine, Patriot, Exocet. Thank you for doing the work you're doing... And for the stroll down memory lane! I don't have any intent on getting into HPR, but I'm thinking many of these could be upsized reasonably well to MPR. For that, I just may have to learn some of this simulation stuff.

I've just spent an hour - roughly - at work looking through this thread. I'm just coming back to rocketry after about 25 years away, and though I have no real interest in the simulation programs, I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the older Estes models you've re-created from my earlier days. Some I had, some I wished I had, and some I may end up re-creating myself - Sizzler, Marauder, Mean Machine, Patriot, Exocet. Thank you for doing the work you're doing... And for the stroll down memory lane! I don't have any intent on getting into HPR, but I'm thinking many of these could be upsized reasonably well to MPR. For that, I just may have to learn some of this simulation stuff.

Thanks for the kind words!

I love a lot of those old classics too, that why I simmed them. Now, w/o supplies, and my wallet and supply lines being so thin, OR is about all I can do these days until business picks up for me, or I return to the US. I'll warn you though... MPR is the gateway drug into HPR! :wink: When I came back to the hobby about 3 years ago, I didn't think I'd be able to afford to get into HPR. I was right, but now I'm hooked... Watch out for Mike Fisher's designs... VERY addictive!

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

I'll warn you though... MPR is the gateway drug into HPR! :wink: When I came back to the hobby about 3 years ago, I didn't think I'd be able to afford to get into HPR. I was right, but now I'm hooked... Watch out for Mike Fisher's designs... VERY addictive!

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Thanks for the warning :D. I may have some difficulty just finding a place for MPR without having to drive a bit. The gulf coast is pretty saturated with controlled airspace and GA aircraft. I belong to an R/C club with a nice big field, but they aren't too receptive to rockets... Big or small.

Where's the best place to find patterns for the fins on these older designs so I can scratch build them?

For the designs in this thread, just open the files in OpenRocket, and you can print out the fin templates (and also fin marking wraps, if you like). File -> Print/Export and then select "Fin Templates". Easy peasy.

Sometimes you can get what you need from Jimz's site, but for the designs here just use OpenRocket.

This thread is the gateway drug into scratch building/cloning/scaling!

I am actually working on a BT-20 Exocet scaled down from the Binder Design one I found here.

Thanks Neil! I guess I'll need to download OpenRocket when I get home tomorrow. Is it freeware?

Then there's also plans.rocketshoppe.com, and (of course) Ebay. Now if you find something on Ebay that isn't on JimZ's site, or plans.rocketshoppe.com, do me a favor and scan it.

One good downscale deserves another... When I get the chance, I'm going to build a downscale of the Binder Design Excelerator.

Plans are to make it as a BT-60 downscale, and like my other Binder Design split-fin designs... Two Stages sounds about right to me.

Attachments

• Binder Design Excelerator (BT-60 Downscale)(Two Stage).ork
    41.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
One good downscale deserves another... When I get the chance, I'm going to build a downscale of the Binder Design Excelerator.

Plans are to make it as a BT-60 downscale, and like my other Binder Design split-fin designs... Two Stages sounds about right to me.

Give it a clear payload bay and it's a Magnum!

Which has better looking fins though... :confused:

Thanks for the warning :D. I may have some difficulty just finding a place for MPR without having to drive a bit. The gulf coast is pretty saturated with controlled airspace and GA aircraft. I belong to an R/C club with a nice big field, but they aren't too receptive to rockets... Big or small.

Just in case you didn't know, depending on where in GA, (I'm 4+ hrs from Atlanta), there are 3 clubs within 2-3 hours of me. HARA flies in Manchester TN, PMW flies out of Talladega and SOaR flies in N. Georgia. I've placed the links below to all three!

Soar https://www.soarrocketry.org/
HARA https://hararocketry.org/hara/
PMW https://www.phoenixmissileworks.com/pmw-home.html

Hope it's closer than you thought, maybe we see you there!!

fm

Last edited:
Continuing with my tradition of updating my files, today it's the Estes Wizard that got the treatment.

Besides adding the decal image to the rocket, I also corrected the appearance of the Launch Lug. The wrap doesn't extend around the Launch Lug.

Just in case you didn't know, depending on where in GA, (I'm 4+ hrs from Atlanta), there are 3 clubs within 2-3 hours of me. HARA flies in Manchester TN, PMW flies out of Talladega and SOaR flies in N. Georgia. I've placed the links below to all three!

Soar https://www.soarrocketry.org/
HARA https://hararocketry.org/hara/
PMW https://www.phoenixmissileworks.com/pmw-home.html

Hope it's closer than you thought, maybe we see you there!!

fm

I'm in Mobile, AL, on the coast. Those are all way too far away from me. Thanks for the thought though.

Found a really old thread of mine which reminded me about an unfinished .ork file that I had worked on. Spent some time on it today, and now it's ready.

The Estes Gamma (1325)

I corrected the fins, the shape of the nosecone, and added the decals.

Attachments

• Estes Gamma (1325)(Stock, Decaled).ork
    7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
As promised...

(At least THESE Big Daddies won't lawndart) I *STRONGLY* recommend modifying the nosecone to eliminate that "ramp" that is part of the shoulder. I feel that these rockets have a particularly high rate of ballistic (shovel type) recoveries. The file as been updated to OR 22.02 to correct an issue with the way that fin decals are represented, but this is a minor issue, and the original 15.03 files will give accurate flight info.

Fin measurements and decals were taken from scans provided by Kruegon.

My fins (using Kruegon's scan) was 1/16" different from his .rkt file. I printed the fins with the ruler, then cut the ruler out and used it to make my measurements.

In 2006 the Big Daddy was redesigned for the new "E" motors. It also got laser cut fins (the originals were die cut), and it got a new look. I've finally managed to learn how to blend colors in MSPaint, and it was about time I created a new sim for it.

And the rarely shown (because it's boring) back of the Big Daddy. IMHO a second set of the lower decals would greatly improve the look from behind:

When using OR 15.03, and due to the decals on the fins, "Air Fins" were required. I found the altitude on this sim was greatly affected by them. It was important that you delete the phantom body tube with the air fins to get accurate flight simulations. HOWEVER with OR 22.03, "Air Fins" are no longer required, and I have deleted them, and the PBT needed for them. I recommend that folks delete the old file and download the new file (below).

A few things I discovered... I think that Estes moved the yellow body tube decal back slightly to align the points with the fin decals. I found that the large diamond decals are not symmetrical, and the sim reflects this. I didn't alter the size of the decals beyond what was forced by rounding (You can't divide images below a single pixel).

Thanks to Tobor for the decal scans used in this sim!

If you download any of my files, please give me a like on that post. Likes are appreciated and give me an idea of what people are looking for. If you find any errors, or have feedback, please use my new feedback thread. Please follow the link to and direct your questions, or comments to it or send me a PM. Thanks!
Original livery version was downloaded 225 times, and the 2006 Livery was downloaded 121 times.

Attachments

• Estes Big Daddy (2162)(2006 Livery).ork
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Estes Big Daddy (2162)(Original Paint and Decals).ork
    13.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back