Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowpuller View Post
    Is the KISS rocket real? I want one!
    Yes. There are 3 that I've found from MPC's KISS Album Collection.

I looked, and couldn't find any instructions uploaded in the typical places. I don't know if I'll actually try to sim them as they are ARTF rockets. With pre-finished body tubes, it makes recreating the decaling a Royal PITA.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 26th December 2016 at 04:56 PM.
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

I found at least 4 different kiss rockets, maybe five as one looks like a pink version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482767276.230064.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	307948

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482767290.122285.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	307949

There's a LHS with these on display for full retail, if someone just absolutely has to have them.

This sim stole a lot of time... (because I had to do it twice ). The Estes Bandit (K-48):

Download the .ork from Post #125

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

How hard would it be to convince you to try....the Black Star Voyager.....?

Name:	BSV F.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	308428
    "I'm at least 70% confident about whatever I say (90% of the time)"- college me

NAR 101195
    Level 1: Big SAM, 9/10/16

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    How hard would it be to convince you to try....the Black Star Voyager.....?

Name:	BSV F.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	308428
    Pretty hard.... I don't have nearly enough info on it to even begin to think about doing something that complicated.

BSV could be approximated in OR (and could probably made to produce nice renderings) but the complex fin cross sections cannot be modeled in OR with any sort of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by neil_w View Post
    BSV could be approximated in OR (and could probably made to produce nice renderings) but the complex fin cross sections cannot be modeled in OR with any sort of accuracy.
    IINM it has a texture on the nosecone which would be really hard to try to simulate. But Neil's correct, it can be done to create a render, but its flight characteristics would likely a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    IINM it has a texture on the nosecone which would be really hard to try to simulate. But Neil's correct, it can be done to create a render, but its flight characteristics would likely a nightmare.
    Hmm, I don't remember any particular nose cone shenanigans, just crazy 3D fin assemblies. But I could be wrong. I really gotta build me one of these at some point.

Ujst got it fomr Secret Santa.
    There's already a build thread for it on here somewhere I think, so I'll model it in SolidWorks and play around with the Flow Simulator to try and get a CP worked out. Then that info mayn be used to make an equivalent fin profile in OR for.people that want to simulate flight. Possibilities abound! (And I can probably get measurements for K along the way)

Tonight's addition... The Estes Scamp (1286)

Now, for this one, I don't have the PNC-50X to model from. So, here I went ahead and used the OR default shape for Semroc's BNC-50X, and then changed it to "plastic" and guesstimated the plastic's thickness. The dimensions of the nosecone matches those found in the Estes Custom Parts catalog. However, I suspect that the actual nosecone is a tad "blunter".

The fin shape was derived from the .pdf file found on JimZ's site. An "Air Fin" was used for the Scamp decal. Scamp and the body tube decal were originally printed on clear peel and stick plastic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estes Scamp (1286) Fins.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	308502  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 5th January 2017 at 04:54 AM.

Added the Estes Astron Sprint (K-49) today:

File is found in post #72
    . There you can also find the Sprint XL (7224).

Today, It's the Estes Cosmic Explorer (2421):

The nosecone is based on the PNC-55AO (PN 71075) that my sample came with, and not the balsa part (PN 70276) that the instructions listed. Mine also had the little note about the "worldwide shortage of balsa".

Thanks go out to kruegon for the decal scans.

what this post could use is splitting up and an index (with links) post...nice work.
    Rex
    L2-competitor 3, AT J350W, 8/27/2016, Bong, 2557'
    my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0gB...?feature=watch

Last edited by K'Tesh; 6th January 2017 at 01:37 PM.

I'm sick, and can't sleep... Decided to re-work the Centuri Tiger Streak (5357)

While I was at it, I fixed an issue with the Apache-2 (1388).

You can download both files from post #77.

In my quest to update my existing files, I finally managed to get to the Estes Sizzler (2127)(Rear Ejection).

You can download the file from Post #31.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 9th January 2017 at 11:45 AM.

Today, I'll add the Centuri Payloader II (KC-20)(ca. 1969)

I was approached in mid-December last year about this one, and got it nearly finished. However, the inquiring party found a file online, and there were questions that I couldn't resolve (exact length of the Balsa Tube Coupler, etc.). So, I didn't publish it then. No part numbers were given in the 1969 instructions found online. However, the file did have lengths given for the clear plastic tube (2.5")( which matches the 1974 Centuri Catalog's CPT-102), and the length of the body tube was given as 10.5" (matching the ST-1010 body tube length). While I'm not 100% sure about all the details, I'm sure that it's still pretty confident that it's close.

Instructions: http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/centur...0/cenKC-20.htm
    Also useful: http://www.estesrockets.com/media//c...74_Catalog.pdf

I'll point out that I went with a length of 1" on the tube coupler, as the instructions had a diagram showing it used to push the shock cord mount 3/4" inside the body tube. The diagram looked as if only 1/4" of the coupler was left exposed in this step. If it was a BTC-10 at 1.5" long, more of the coupler would have been exposed (presuming it was accurately drawn), and the resulting fit would have been extremely tight.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 9th January 2017 at 03:12 PM.

Here's a new file... One that I hope you can sink your fangs into... Apogee's Diamondback (5034):

This one has a new trick for getting fins to sit on top of other fins... (READ: no need for a PBT for the top fin! ). Other than that, there's the PBT for the engine hook, but that tends to make a very small difference in the altitudes. I'll also add that there's another variant of this in my files with a simplified fin arrangement (still looks the same though) that is giving slightly higher altitudes (Read: +27 feet).

Pointy Side Up!

At the suggestion of Glen P, and with his and Dave Cook's help, I've created a sim for the Pay Dirt from 1971 Centuri Design Manual.

Graphics are based on what Centuri kits of the day came with, and a little imagination. There's a few tricks in this one, but nothing that is too fantastic that would preclude this from being fairly accurate for flight performance.

If you are one of the two people who downloaded the previous version, please toss it, and download a fresh copy... (I fixed the extra fin problem I found)
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 19th January 2017 at 05:48 PM.

Excellent! I like the use of the roll pattern from the similar vintage Payloader. I made a decal logo with the T in the shape of a pick axe, reminiscent of the Excalibur logo where the X represents a sword. Thanks for taking the time to sim this, looks great!

Attachment 289608
    Last edited by GlenP; 14th January 2017 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlenP View Post
    Excellent! I like the use of the roll pattern from the similar vintage Payloader. I made a decal logo with the T in the shape of a pick axe, reminiscent of the Excalibur logo where the X represents a sword. Thanks for taking the time to sim this, looks great!

Attachment 289608
    I too thought about adding a decal with a pick axe... but decided it looked "too modern". Here it is:

Name:  Centuri Pay Dirt (DM - 1971) Fin Paint and Decals Test 1.png
Views: 219
Size:  18.9 KB

This is oriented to be on the fins, and made from a piece of clip art I found and adapted.

I also feel that the Pay Dirt has a similar feel to the Centuri Payloader, and I suspect that may be why it wasn't released as a kit.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 14th January 2017 at 11:30 PM.

Been working on the Estes Marauder (KL-3) Cold Power Convertible kit:

(The offset in the black band on the launch lug is an artifact of the rotation the image has to show the white fin).

I've simmed this with the Polaris (1324)'s motor mount as I don't have any measurements of the cold power motor that Estes produced. When I get the info that has been promised to me, I'll update the file again.

The Polaris (1324) is what the Marauder became as a BP powered rocket, and shares many basic similarities with it. However, there are differences, and when I get the decal info requested, I'll post its .ork file too.

Thanks to Joe Wooten, and LW Bercini for their photos of the kit's fins.

http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1922/est1922.htm
    http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16437
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 23rd January 2017 at 04:24 AM.

None of these ork seem to render as shown... must be missing something.
    Jeff Gortatowsky
    Redondo Beach, CA. NAR 70988 Level 2
    2017 Stats: Flights: 16
    Approximate Total Impulse: 2,354.23 Ns (Equivalent to about 84% of a full K motor.)
    Approx. Average Cost per flight: $$15.17 USD
    Approx. Total RETAIL Cost: $242.75 USD (Not what I paid)

Link will take you to: About me, Flights, and Fleet

--------------------
    "One does not believe in science. Science is a set of methods for inquiry of that which is real, not a belief system. -- Doctor Steven Novella

Quote Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
    None of these ork seem to render as shown... must be missing something.
    Lemme guess... you're seeing something like this (except without the red box...)

Name:	OR View type.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	310056

If that's the case, you need to change your View Type to 3D Finished.

Or are the images jagged like this?

Which in this case means that you've got an older computer and need to buy a new one (or a graphics card) to get the better view.

If it's neither of those, the next thing I'd suggest is making sure that you're running the most recent version of OR (15.03). Also keep in mind that I edit out CG/CP markings.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 23rd January 2017 at 09:13 AM.

Ummmmmm no...
    My Box:
    • Home Built
    • AMD-FX8310 8 Core...
    • Windows 10,
    • 32GB ,
    • Twin GTX-970's in SLI using a 27 inch monitor,
    • Java 8,
    • Latest OR jar (I write Java for a living... not that that matters)

But thanks for the ideas!! I appreciate the answer!

What I meant is I don't see any of the rendered fancy decals etc... 3D? Sure... I was using OR and ROCKSIM back when they intro'd it. (But I am no OR expert! I admit!) I just meant where are textures to get the graphics?
    Jeff Gortatowsky
    Approximate Total Impulse: 2,354.23 Ns (Equivalent to about 84% of a full K motor.)

--------------------
    "One does not believe in science. Science is a set of methods for inquiry of that which is real, not a belief system. -- Doctor Steven Novella

The graphics I use are a mix of cleaned up decals from the various sources available online, or (for things like roll patterns) all new images that are based on the original.

Unfortunately, the images tend to look really grainy up close (at 100 pixels to the inch), and would not be suitable for printing and using. Also, for body tubes, the "decal" that is applied cannot be specified as to this roll pattern and that name decal applied to the body tube. I have to create a graphic that is the length of the body tube by the circumference and apply all of the decals that go on it to that (so they also include the "paint").

If you look at the .ork files, and pick an item that has a decal (or a change in paint color), then look at the appearance tab, you can open up the images and look at them in your graphics editor of choice.

Today's .ork file is keeping with the ColdPower theme... The Estes Shark (1111) ColdPower Convertible has been added...

In seeing the similarities with the Stiletto, I've added it to the Stiletto's post (number 58). I've also updated the Stiletto (1323)

Last edited by K'Tesh; 24th January 2017 at 07:41 PM.

Oh I see... the ORK file only points to images. It does not bundle them up.
    So only you see the DECALs and stuff... because only you have the PNGs...
    You would have to publish your 'decals' folder for us to see the renderings you have done here...

Got it. Thanks!

Good stuff!
    Jeff Gortatowsky

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
    Oh I see... the ORK file only points to images. It does not bundle them up.
    So only you see the DECALs and stuff... because only you have the PNGs...
    You would have to publish your 'decals' folder for us to see the renderings you have done here...

Got it. Thanks!

Good stuff!
    Hi Jeff,

I posted this problem over in the software sub-forum. It looks like the problem isn't with the files. If you'd go there and post what the problem is, perhaps we can get you sorted out.

One possible problem I could see though is that if you are looking at one of my old .ork files they lack the graphics (I simmed up decals with exposed bands, and even older designs were simmed with the body tube cut up to give the color bands).

Again, let's move this discussion over to the sub-forum.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 26th January 2017 at 06:01 AM.