Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    I just stumbled across your OpenRocket thread. You do some amazing cosmetic reproductions here.
    From a simulations standpoint, how did you achieve the ring fin on the solar flare? Was it just a tube expanded to the proper diameter? And does it function for flight simulation purposes or does it give some sort of diameter discontinuity error?
    The Solar Flare's ring fins were achieved by using Inner Tubes. I was able to externalize them by expanding them to the proper diameter. Though the mass is there, Inner tubes do not get calculated in aerodynamic simulations.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 19th October 2016 at 02:07 PM.
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

How do you calculate CP?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowpuller View Post
    How do you calculate CP?
    For the Ring fin? or a rocket in general?
    I believe there's an equivalency relation that will relate a ring fin to a conventional fin set that can be used for calculations.
    "I'm at least 70% confident about whatever I say (90% of the time)"- college me

NAR 101195
    Level 1: Big SAM, 9/10/16

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    For the Ring fin? or a rocket in general?
    I believe there's an equivalency relation that will relate a ring fin to a conventional fin set that can be used for calculations.
    I haven't seen that, do you have a reference?

In any case, OR doesn't have but Rocksim does.
    Recently completed: APRO Lander II and Starship Avalon; next up: Accur8-skinned Trajector and Ragnarok Orbital Interceptor
    My photo albums: fleet pics and OR Models

Calculating CP? I don't know, you'd need to talk to the designers of the program and those who are working on it. http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/contact.html

After sleeping on it, I thought of a second method to get the ring fin to be represented, and to get it to be calculated (how accurately, who knows). The fins would be attached to a the smaller diameter body tube. That body tube would be shortened where the ring fin overlaps it, and an internal body tube would be added to make up the missing length. This could work for both the sustainer and the booster. You can bet that there are going to be error messages and warnings aplenty using this method.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 20th October 2016 at 05:32 AM.

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by neil_w View Post
    I haven't seen that, do you have a reference?

In any case, OR doesn't have but Rocksim does.
    Pretty sure I read it on the forum last week somewhere, but no idea where. So a quick Google brought me to peak of Flight issue 27!

That issue was written for Rocksim 4, but I see no reason why it wouldnt apply to Open rocket as well. One OR file is the cosmetic version with ring fin for bragging rights, and another has the equivalent fins for flight characteristics. Not sure how to incorporate offset rings. Maybe asymmetric fins?
    "I'm at least 70% confident about whatever I say (90% of the time)"- college me

NAR 101195
    Level 1: Big SAM, 9/10/16

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Metal View Post
    Hey Bossman, been working on anything lately? Been awhile since we've seen some new files...

fm
    I had the HD crash that wiped out my research for the better part of a year (as well as several nearly completed sims). After that, I had all the issues in trying to find another job, then upon getting it, balancing the overlapping period, and getting trained up on the new job. I'm coming out of the overlap period now. Another "complication" popped up last week. With Alex and Sheree Boyce's willingness to join the CinerocDV project, I've been trying to coordinate parts and files getting to them, along with the issues that come up w/trying to use paypal from overseas (Hint: You can't be logged into your VPN).

There's a few designs I've been dabbling with though. They're just not ready to "go to press" just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Metal View Post
    Is there anything I can do to help? Got an ok 9to5 so if there are things I can do let me know.

fm
    Other than sending rockets , the best thing you can do for me is to scan your plans, fins and decals with a ruler for me in as high as resolution as you can in a .png format. Unless you want to edit decal images to eliminate background colors so that I can quickly "apply" them to the files I'm working on.

Now, as it stands now, I'm currently working on the Estes Magician (1943), Estes Meteor (2025), Estes Hornet (3037), and the Semroc Omega (KV-64).

Last edited by K'Tesh; 8th November 2016 at 03:21 PM.

K'Tesh

Have you had any luck simulating clear payload tubing in Open Rocket ?

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by bobby_hamill View Post
    K'Tesh

Have you had any luck simulating clear payload tubing in Open Rocket ?

Bobby
    Me? No. other than to make the part plastic and color it a pale blue. Neil_w did I think though.

Nope, that was Cabernut.
    Recently completed: APRO Lander II and Starship Avalon; next up: Accur8-skinned Trajector and Ragnarok Orbital Interceptor
    My photo albums: fleet pics and OR Models

K'Tesh

I have been doing some what if changes with the Maxi Icarus Decals that might lead to an upscale :-)
    Nose cone will match decal color with rest of rocket and fins being white
    Also the 2 rings around clear payload section will mach decal color

May even go hog wild and add a 4th fin !

Bobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neon green & neon orange.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	305214  

Quote Originally Posted by bobby_hamill View Post
    K'Tesh

I have been doing some what if changes with the Maxi Icarus Decals that might lead to an upscale :-)
    Nose cone will match decal color with rest of rocket and fins being white
    Also the 2 rings around clear payload section will mach decal color

May even go hog wild and add a 4th fin !

Bobby
    If you do, you know you'll need to do a build thread.

Ok... Something new and different... Behold the Binder Design Terrordactyl

To do this one, I had to make special arrangements with Mike Fisher (BinderDesign). So, I can't publish the .ork file. He can however send a .rkt file to those who have purchased a Terrordactyl that is based on my .ork file. If you're interested in purchasing a Terrordactyl, it's available on his website.

The holes in the fins are a cheat, done by using a "decal", so this one may not sim completely accurately. I am unable to share those image files per my agreement with Mike. Those holes are currently beyond OR's ability to recreate (trust me, I tried). Due to the difficulty in trying to capture the body tube decals look, I decided to make it easy on myself, and represent them as if the standard decals were outlined in silver.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 29th November 2016 at 04:43 PM.

Jim,

I just ordered a Wildman 4" Patriot from the BF sale. Do you have an .ork file for this one?

Thanks - Smuggs
    Jim V

Champlain Region Model Rocket Club
    CRMRC
    Facebook
    NAR #101467
    L1 - 5/21/16 Estes Mega Der Red Max H128W to 1,021'

Quote Originally Posted by smugglervt View Post
    Jim,

I just ordered a Wildman 4" Patriot from the BF sale. Do you have an .ork file for this one?

Thanks - Smuggs
    Sorry, nope. The only Patriots I have are the sims I did for what is called the Citation Patriot. My sim for the Estes Pro Series Patriot went "Poof" when my HD crapped out this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    Sorry, nope. The only Patriots I have are the sims I did for what is called the Citation Patriot. My sim for the Estes Pro Series Patriot went "Poof" when my HD crapped out this summer.
    Ok, thanks. Guess I'll have to start from scratch when it shows up.
    Jim V

Champlain Region Model Rocket Club
    CRMRC
    Facebook
    NAR #101467
    L1 - 5/21/16 Estes Mega Der Red Max H128W to 1,021'

Today, I added the stock version of the Semroc Omega (KV-64). Thanks to Randy Boadway for his support on this sim.

The file is found in the original post of this thread.

K Tesh,

Are you storing these on the cloud this time around?

Do you still have the old drive that crashed???

K Tesh,

Are you storing these on the cloud this time around?

Do you still have the old drive that crashed???
    I now have a backup HD to store files on, and yes, I have the old drive still.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    I now have a backup HD to store files on, and yes, I have the old drive still.
    Have you tried recovering the data?

http://www.thetechmentor.com/posts/h...ed-hard-drive/

There's some free things to try too.

Quote Originally Posted by Incongruent View Post
    Have you tried recovering the data?

http://www.thetechmentor.com/posts/h...ed-hard-drive/

There's some free things to try too.
    The guys who were able to get it to recover the first time it crashed were unable to recover it the 2nd time it did. Since I'm not a hardware guy, I am holding on to it until I can get it to my friend who is. In the mean time, I don't want to do anything that further risks loss of information on it.

Cloud, cloud, cloud, don't risk it even with a back up hard drive.

Cloud, cloud, cloud, don't risk it even with a back up hard drive.
    Just about the only thing you shouldn't trust with the cloud is your rockets.

For anyone listening / worrying about this sort of scenario, two hot one cold. Example: primary teh_rockets folder on hard drive, secondary teh_backups folder on external hard drive, tertiary teh_cloud folder somewhere in the Šther.

How about this... I just post them when I can, and when people can confirm the requested information?

(I'm now emailing the files to myself, which will keep them off my HD, and available anywhere I can get internet access).

And with that, can we stop this from taking over my thread?

Thanks!
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 28th November 2016 at 02:23 PM.

I don't know why, but I realized this morning that I hadn't added the CinerocDV with Omega (and modified markings) to the OP. I had to add the .ork file to post #2 due to the limit on the number of attachments.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 1st December 2016 at 06:11 AM.

Jim, I was perusing your Flickr galleries for decals the other day, and was reminded of an inspiring sim.

Did you ever do your own version of the Exocet MM40 B3? The one with the side intakes. And if so, has it survived your drive troubles?
    Charles McGonegal
    Ciderwright at AeppelTreow Winery & Distillery
    www.appletrue.com
    NAR #103560 L1 6/25/17 Estes Leviathan CTI H175-SS
    Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles_McG View Post
    Jim, I was perusing your Flickr galleries for decals the other day, and was reminded of an inspiring sim.

Did you ever do your own version of the Exocet MM40 B3? The one with the side intakes. And if so, has it survived your drive troubles?
    Those files were lost. However, some of the work was preserved in emails, I'll have to search those out. I *might* not be able to share some of that info though as I was working with a vendor.

After much trouble with what I was being told, and what I thought I was seeing, I finally gave up, and tried a different tack... I went straight to the designer to get the measurements on these fins. Thanks JumpJet! Also thanks goes out to sandeja1 for the decal scans, as well as hcmbanjo and lcorinth for their fin scans. With that, I present the Estes Hornet (3037).

The actual .ork file is attached to post #15, along with the Centuri Hornet (5341).

Last edited by K'Tesh; 6th December 2016 at 08:24 AM.