Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabernut View Post
    So it looks like the Sahara is a shortened Argent with Partizon fins? This one is growing on me.

I bet it would fly great on an F15-4, low and slow long burn. Or stratospheric on a G125? Time to sim!

And that Redstone... OpenRocket Ninja indeed. Great work as always.
    Thanks!

That's the consensus, the Sahara is a shortened Argent w/Partizon fins. I think of it as one of the PSII's SPEV's. I'd have rather have seen an upscale of the Cherokee D. I might have to do that with the Part Of Zon that I have. I've got the long version already (at home), maybe the short version is in order.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to stick with Ninja for a while... Guru requires that I know the inner workings of OR, and I'm not there yet.

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    Thanks!

That's the consensus, the Sahara is a shortened Argent w/Partizon fins. I think of it as one of the PSII's SPEV's. I'd have rather have seen an upscale of the Cherokee D. I might have to do that with the Part Of Zon that I have. I've got the long version already (at home), maybe the short version is in order.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to stick with Ninja for a while... Guru requires that I know the inner workings of OR, and I'm not there yet.
    Wait a minute... have you looked at your work lately? Better than ANY stuff I'd seen so far!!

fm

"What'd I learn after 20 years in the Navy? Hmmm... I shoulda' joined the Army!!"
    L1 - Madcow 2.6 Arcas / First Flight / AT100W-14 / May 7th, 2016
    L2 - Madcow 4.0 AGM-58 / Assembly to begin May 2017
    L3 - Scratch Upscale ASM (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Metal View Post
    Wait a minute... have you looked at your work lately? Better than ANY stuff I'd seen so far!!

fm
    Thanks!

When I say inner workings, I mean programming... I haven't written code for over a decade.

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Ok... I managed to update (and improve) another of my old .ork files...

Today it was the Estes Marauder (1922)...

You can download the updated .ork over in post #49.

Flight characteristics improved dramatically. It now sims to 788' with the same motor that the old version simmed to 484'.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 13th July 2016 at 01:15 PM.

I've just spent an hour - roughly - at work looking through this thread. I'm just coming back to rocketry after about 25 years away, and though I have no real interest in the simulation programs, I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the older Estes models you've re-created from my earlier days. Some I had, some I wished I had, and some I may end up re-creating myself - Sizzler, Marauder, Mean Machine, Patriot, Exocet. Thank you for doing the work you're doing... And for the stroll down memory lane! I don't have any intent on getting into HPR, but I'm thinking many of these could be upsized reasonably well to MPR. For that, I just may have to learn some of this simulation stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoJuliet View Post
    I've just spent an hour - roughly - at work looking through this thread. I'm just coming back to rocketry after about 25 years away, and though I have no real interest in the simulation programs, I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the older Estes models you've re-created from my earlier days. Some I had, some I wished I had, and some I may end up re-creating myself - Sizzler, Marauder, Mean Machine, Patriot, Exocet. Thank you for doing the work you're doing... And for the stroll down memory lane! I don't have any intent on getting into HPR, but I'm thinking many of these could be upsized reasonably well to MPR. For that, I just may have to learn some of this simulation stuff.

Thanks for the kind words!

I love a lot of those old classics too, that why I simmed them. Now, w/o supplies, and my wallet and supply lines being so thin, OR is about all I can do these days until business picks up for me, or I return to the US. I'll warn you though... MPR is the gateway drug into HPR! When I came back to the hobby about 3 years ago, I didn't think I'd be able to afford to get into HPR. I was right, but now I'm hooked... Watch out for Mike Fisher's designs... VERY addictive!

Pointy Side Up!
    Jim

I'll warn you though... MPR is the gateway drug into HPR! When I came back to the hobby about 3 years ago, I didn't think I'd be able to afford to get into HPR. I was right, but now I'm hooked... Watch out for Mike Fisher's designs... VERY addictive!

Pointy Side Up!
    Jim
    Thanks for the warning . I may have some difficulty just finding a place for MPR without having to drive a bit. The gulf coast is pretty saturated with controlled airspace and GA aircraft. I belong to an R/C club with a nice big field, but they aren't too receptive to rockets... Big or small.

Where's the best place to find patterns for the fins on these older designs so I can scratch build them?

For the designs in this thread, just open the files in OpenRocket, and you can print out the fin templates (and also fin marking wraps, if you like). File -> Print/Export and then select "Fin Templates". Easy peasy.

Sometimes you can get what you need from Jimz's site, but for the designs here just use OpenRocket.

This thread is the gateway drug into scratch building/cloning/scaling!

I am actually working on a BT-20 Exocet scaled down from the Binder Design one I found here.
    Chris M.
    NAR 101470, MAAC, CRC
    L1 - Optima 3" - CTI H133 - 1189ft. - Geneseo, NY, May 28, 2016
    My YouTube channel

Thanks Neil! I guess I'll need to download OpenRocket when I get home tomorrow. Is it freeware?

Yup, freeware, the only hangup (maybe) is that you'll need to have Java installed.

Quote Originally Posted by neil_w View Post
    Sometimes you can get what you need from Jimz's site, but for the designs here just use OpenRocket.
    Another awesome link! Thank you!

Then there's also plans.rocketshoppe.com, and (of course) Ebay. Now if you find something on Ebay that isn't on JimZ's site, or plans.rocketshoppe.com, do me a favor and scan it.

Spent some time today working on my downscale versions of Binder Design's Velociraptor and the Raptor.

Managed to get the decals applied, fixed some other minor errors (fin thicknesses, materials, etc.)

The updated .ork files are located in post #24. I recommend you toss the old versions, as these are much better..

One good downscale deserves another... When I get the chance, I'm going to build a downscale of the Binder Design Excelerator.

Plans are to make it as a BT-60 downscale, and like my other Binder Design split-fin designs... Two Stages sounds about right to me.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 14th July 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Ooh, I like that idea!

One good downscale deserves another... When I get the chance, I'm going to build a downscale of the Binder Design Excelerator.

Plans are to make it as a BT-60 downscale, and like my other Binder Design split-fin designs... Two Stages sounds about right to me.

Give it a clear payload bay and it's a Magnum!

Which has better looking fins though...
    Chris M.
    NAR 101470, MAAC, CRC
    L1 - Optima 3" - CTI H133 - 1189ft. - Geneseo, NY, May 28, 2016
    My YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by TangoJuliet View Post
    Thanks for the warning . I may have some difficulty just finding a place for MPR without having to drive a bit. The gulf coast is pretty saturated with controlled airspace and GA aircraft. I belong to an R/C club with a nice big field, but they aren't too receptive to rockets... Big or small.
    Just in case you didn't know, depending on where in GA, (I'm 4+ hrs from Atlanta), there are 3 clubs within 2-3 hours of me. HARA flies in Manchester TN, PMW flies out of Talladega and SOaR flies in N. Georgia. I've placed the links below to all three!

Soar http://www.soarrocketry.org/
    HARA http://hararocketry.org/hara/
    PMW http://www.phoenixmissileworks.com/pmw-home.html

Hope it's closer than you thought, maybe we see you there!!

fm
    Last edited by Forever_Metal; 16th July 2016 at 07:03 AM.
    "What'd I learn after 20 years in the Navy? Hmmm... I shoulda' joined the Army!!"
    L1 - Madcow 2.6 Arcas / First Flight / AT100W-14 / May 7th, 2016
    L2 - Madcow 4.0 AGM-58 / Assembly to begin May 2017
    L3 - Scratch Upscale ASM (2018)

Continuing with my tradition of updating my files, today it's the Estes Wizard that got the treatment.

Besides adding the decal image to the rocket, I also corrected the appearance of the Launch Lug. The wrap doesn't extend around the Launch Lug.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Metal View Post
    Just in case you didn't know, depending on where in GA, (I'm 4+ hrs from Atlanta), there are 3 clubs within 2-3 hours of me. HARA flies in Manchester TN, PMW flies out of Talladega and SOaR flies in N. Georgia. I've placed the links below to all three!

Soar http://www.soarrocketry.org/
    HARA http://hararocketry.org/hara/
    PMW http://www.phoenixmissileworks.com/pmw-home.html

Hope it's closer than you thought, maybe we see you there!!

fm
    I'm in Mobile, AL, on the coast. Those are all way too far away from me. Thanks for the thought though.

GA = General Aviation, I think.
    Charles McGonegal
    Ciderwright
    AeppelTreow Winery & Distillery
    www.appletrue.com
    Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Yes. I shouldn't have assumed that everyone knew what that meant. My bad.

Finally managed to get the decals on the Estes Aerospace Club's EAC Viper (0820)...

Updated file is found in post #36

Also managed to update the Estes Vagabond (3217) as well today...

The updated file can be downloaded in post #34.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 18th July 2016 at 05:47 AM.

Found a really old thread of mine which reminded me about an unfinished .ork file that I had worked on. Spent some time on it today, and now it's ready.

The Estes Gamma (1325)

I corrected the fins, the shape of the nosecone, and added the decals.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 18th July 2016 at 12:40 PM.

As promised...

(At least THIS Big Daddy won't lawndart)

Fin measurements and decals were taken from scans provided by Kruegon.

My fins (using Kruegon's scan) was 1/16" different from his .rkt file. I printed the fins with the ruler, then cut the ruler out and used it to make my measurements.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 26th July 2016 at 04:39 AM.

The Estes Astron Sprint XL (7224) has been updated with decals...

NOW With Air Fins! You can delete those for a more accurate flight simulation, but that transition and engine hook will likely mess up OR's calculations anyways.

You can download the .ork file in post # 74

The Estes Astron Sprint XL (7224) has been updated with decals...

NOW With Air Fins! You can delete those for a more accurate flight simulation, but that transition and engine hook will likely mess up OR's calculations anyways.

You can download the .ork file in post # 74
    I have one of these assembled but unpainted. Any details needed?